• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAC COAST XMEN 1 CGC 9.6 WHITE, ??ASKING PRICE

72 posts in this topic

okay. Ill buy all that. Its just that I very rarely sell naything, and want to sell at the top etc, so I guess Im jealous that he decided to repurpose his assets (READ: SELL) during a feeding frenzy for top dollar!! Thats the way to do it. And as we all know, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get out!

Over the past year and a half, I HAVE NOT seen a FEEDING FRENZY.

Sure, some books have increase a lot, but MOST BOOKS HAVE NOT.

X-Men books in particular have been very stagnate for the past year, so a little increase in the top prices is probably normal.

okay. Ill buy all that. Its just that I very rarely sell naything, and want to sell at the top etc, so I guess Im jealous that he decided to repurpose his assets (READ: SELL) during a feeding frenzy for top dollar!! Thats the way to do it. And as we all know, this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get out!

When you own the top books the once-in-a-lifetime chance to get out happens every day! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Timely

Tim,

It's definitely him. He's had great success unloading at the right time, and lucky for me, he's a man of his word (IH 1, TOS 39). Also, he helped you and me get together on the Sgt. Furys.

All his keys (except the IH 1 9.2) have sold for record prices (some of the sales haven't even been recorded, I believe, like the JIM 83 & FF 1). He knows what he's doing and again, if not for him, I wouldn't have all those killer Pacific Coasts. Makes me think of that old Bud commercial "I love you, man!!".

amann,

Sorry I misunderstood your point. Believe it or not, when I'm driving home with new books, I do not think about the price/investment potential or whether it was a good deal, etc. All I'm concerned with are the books and how killer they are and how I've upgraded/filled holes in my collection and the euphoric feeling that brings (just happened 2 days ago when I met someone to pick up my FF 9 9.6 and was driving home on a high). It can also occur with getting a new book in the mail or making a trade, etc. It's an unbelievable feeling and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The worries about the money aspect usually comes before the deal or much later, upon reflection.

But the great feeling coming home with the books, oh man!

yeah I know the feeling alright, but we're talking 5 and 6 figure buys, and that always sets off the little "coo-koo bird" in the corner of my head reminding me of the sillines and precariousness of it all. Liek Jack trading real cash for magic beans! But, I guess I cant enough magic beans!!!

A bit off topic, but what grade is your Sgt Fury 1, Capt? Have you seen any of the pedigreed Sgt Fury 1's or possibly know the grade of any of them? Thanks

Brian

Ooh, ooh, I know this, I know this! Curator 9.4! Hands off, people, I've got dibs on this one when Doug decides to sell it! Actually, he was going to sell it to me, and in a rapid chain of events which I still can't figure out, he ended up buying some of my Fury's instead! 893frustrated.gif

just happened 2 days ago when I met someone to pick up my FF 9 9.6 and was driving home on a high

I met Doug that evening when I was going out jogging and he was coming home.

I just got quick look at that FF and immediately picked up his "high" and went flying through my laps in the park.

Let me tell you: That is one >sweet< book!

Larry

Brian,

Thanks for the post. I have the Sgt Fury 1 9.4 Curator copy. It's a killer book with white pages. I used to own the Green River Sgt Fury 1, which graded a 9.2.

I don't know of any other pedigree copies of no. 1, but I have the Winnipeg 2 (9.6), the Western Penn 4 9.4 & a couple more Western Penns. Between No.s 20 -49, I have all Mass or Boston copies. I really like these books and can't believe how they fly over the radar as they do.

Tim,

I guess the true collector in me couldn't let those Furys go. Again, thanks to you, my run got that much better. However, if I'm starving down in FLA and need to liquidate some books, I would assume the Furys will go before ASMs, JIMs, TOS's etc., although I truly dig these Fury books (they're not really war books in my mind, just another awesome early Marvel title).

If they go, you will be the first to know.

Best,

Doug

I heard the White Mountain Hulks had some Marvel Chipping as well. When they were listed in the auction catalogue they cropped the photos and the buyer did not know this. He was in another state and bought them sight unseen. I heard he was upset but the books were not returnable. Was that Sotheby's??

Here's another example of the "if you think if a plate of shrimp, there will soon appear a plate of shrimp" phenomenon. The WM Hulks 2, 3, 4 & 6 are on eBay right now! Unfortunately, the scans are not great, so it's hard to tell if there's Marvel chipping or not.

#2 9.4

#3 9.0

#4 8.0

#6 9.2

I don't know if the Sotheby's winner is the seller or how many hands the books have passed through since then, but my guess is that a decent return will have been realized on these books from what was paid at that time. Actually, do you know what the winning bid prices at Sotheby's were?

Looks like Timely is trying to make a final purchase before he starts at CGC! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks like Timely is trying to make a final purchase before he starts at CGC! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is he starting there? I noticed his name is no longer displayed on the forums in green as it was before like the rest of the CGC staff.