• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you still collect comics if you knew ...

56 posts in this topic

... that twenty years from now they would still be worth only what you paid for them?

There's been a lot of discussion lately on the success of certain books reaching record selling levels.

There have been comments on the collecting worth of books that have declined in value and popularity.

I'd continue to collect knowing that my books may never be worth more than they are now. I would probably be happy to continue to collect with the knowledge that there would be a decline in value.*

*I would just choose to put the knowledge out of mind and hope it wouldn't happen. :grin:

Definitely.

I don't 'invest'; any cash I make from re-selling books goes back into the hobby - that's where all my purchasing $$ comes from. I have no thoughts towards profit (other than what books I can buy with any extra money made by re-selling) or what my books will be worth in twenty years.

I want to read Miracleman. I'm going to collect the trades for my shelf. After the PM I got it looks like it may be the first comic I read digitally, hopefully beginning sometime during my workday tomorrow.

:banana:

... that twenty years from now they would still be worth only what you paid for them?

There's been a lot of discussion lately on the success of certain books reaching record selling levels.

There have been comments on the collecting worth of books that have declined in value and popularity.

I'd continue to collect knowing that my books may never be worth more than they are now. I would probably be happy to continue to collect with the knowledge that there would be a decline in value.*

*I would just choose to put the knowledge out of mind and hope it wouldn't happen. :grin:

I don`t buy bags or boards for new comics post 1980,as I don`t see the point. Where as most golden age comic books average vg or lower this isn`t so with copper and modern comics.as just about all of them are very fine to near mint. I don`t see the point of worrying if they should be bagged or boarded. So what if I miss a New Mutants #98 every twenty years? I can just pick one up on Ebay if I really want one.That`s probally why digital comics don`t affect me as much, as I actually read post 1980 comic books as disposable media like I would watch a dvd or read a paperback.Now certain golden and silver age comics being bagged is another story. :cloud9:

I collect books because I personally want them, not because someone may pay an insane amount in the future. I know I've overpaid for a book or two, here and there, but it was well worth it to have the collection I wanted. I think the problem is most people see these huge sales in the industry from what amounts to a lucky find. It's rare, and the significance of golden and silver age characters will be hard matched these days. There will be an occasional character that warrants merit by the creator in the modern era, but originality will be tough.

In the end, buy what makes you happy. The worst that can happen from buying a few extra copies of Joe Schmoe #1, is the comic book medium survives another day.

In 20 years I'll be dead... :insane:lol

Well no not really...hopefully... :wishluck:

I have always collected the books I'm interested in because I just love owning them...obviously if I could pass on to my kids (I have 4) a collection worth as much as possible for them to cash in on, that would be cool...I can't imagine the books I collect could be worth any less 20 years from now than what I paid...

Having said that, I'm about even...the 800 +/- Marvel SA books I saved since I was a kid I've churned into a lot of slabs and better copies, but for all intents and purposes I basically had no cost in from the beginning...turning no-cost into a 6-figure collection has been pretty fun the last 10 years...

I am curious about older GA cool books that the present and future generation(s) have no knowledge such as Blue Beetle for instance...would think some of the value would peter out at some point but who knows... (shrug)

Yes. I enjoy collecting and enjoy owning the books. If I could own my collection for a long time and break even selling them I would feel blessed for the many years of sheer 'free' entertainment.

We are getting too focused on the value of these things rather than why we started collecting.

I would probably feel a lot more secure if there was a potential for break-even - is that what you meant? Or are you talking about newsstand purchases?