• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore on Frank Miller's rant.

284 posts in this topic

Alan Moore is an interesting character, a self proclaimed anarchist/conjurer, who turned down huge hollywood paydays on various projects as he didnt want his name attached to the flicks.

He is imo the greatest comicbook writer ever, certainly not for quantity of output but quality. Readily identifiable body of work, V For Vendetta, Watchment, Killing Joke, Lost Girls, From Hell, Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LOEG. Moore strikes me, as much, as you can know someone from just their external output, their work, as well as a few youtube postings I have seen of him, as someone who is a deep thinker non conformist.

Yep, I am a fan of Moore over Miller and think Moore has a head on his shoulders, he reminds me of an old philosophy prof I had back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Greatest ever? Really?

Even better than Stan Lee, who's readily identifiable work includes:

Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, FF, Daredevil, Avengers, Nick Fury/SHIELD, Thor, Iron Man, Ant Man, etc.

Really?

Does Stan Lee's writing stand the test of time? I love all the Marvel Silver Age stuff, grew up with it, but I wouldn't class any of it as great writing. For its time, maybe - now, definitely not.

I'm kind of new here, but can someone tell me who the heck Alan Moore is, I always thought it was the that invented Velcro .. I mean, is he somehow involved in comic books as well

I'm kind of new here, but can someone tell me who the heck Alan Moore is, I always thought it was the that invented Velcro .. I mean, is he somehow involved in comic books as well

No.

No.

Never mind, someone just PMed me telling me the story of how Moore found out he was Steve Ditko's illegitimate son... Sad really...

Alan Moore is an interesting character, a self proclaimed anarchist/conjurer, who turned down huge hollywood paydays on various projects as he didnt want his name attached to the flicks.

He is imo the greatest comicbook writer ever, certainly not for quantity of output but quality. Readily identifiable body of work, V For Vendetta, Watchment, Killing Joke, Lost Girls, From Hell, Miracleman, Swamp Thing, LOEG. Moore strikes me, as much, as you can know someone from just their external output, their work, as well as a few youtube postings I have seen of him, as someone who is a deep thinker non conformist.

Yep, I am a fan of Moore over Miller and think Moore has a head on his shoulders, he reminds me of an old philosophy prof I had back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Greatest ever? Really?

Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men, FF, Daredevil, Avengers, Nick Fury/SHIELD, Thor, Iron Man, Ant Man, etc.

Really?

Does Stan Lee's writing stand the test of time? I love all the Marvel Silver Age stuff, grew up with it, but I wouldn't class any of it as great writing. For its time, maybe - now, definitely not.

Well, I'd have to reply by saying that Moore's Watchmen, V, and Swamp Thing were pretty ho hum to me 25 years and have far less punch today.

Aside from The Killing Joke and From Hell, I really don't think there's anything exceptional with Moore's writing. Then or now.

Greatest ever? Really?

Really?

Well, I'd have to reply by saying that Moore's Watchmen, V, and Swamp Thing were pretty ho hum to me 25 years and have far less punch today.

Aside from The Killing Joke and From Hell, I really don't think there's anything exceptional with Moore's writing. Then or now.

And in 10 years time somebody else maybe saying how great writer X is and how Alan Moore's work, or Frank Miller's work, or anybody else from the 80's and 90's, doesn't stand the test of time.

And it may well be true.

Greatest ever? Really?

Really?

I realize that Stan Lee's stuff is sacred ground to the people who grew up with it, but for a lot of us born after 1975 it's basically unreadable. I have tried to like his stuff, I really have, but it's painfully dated at this point. The dialogue is hokey, ponderous and overly dramatic....it just hasn't stood the test of time well at all. As someone else said, the best of all time at character creation. The best at writing? Not so much.

Kirby's art is still the jam though! :cloud9:

Greatest ever? Really?

Really?

I realize that Stan Lee's stuff is sacred ground to the people who grew up with it, but for a lot of us born after 1975 it's basically unreadable. I have tried to like his stuff, I really have, but it's painfully dated at this point. The dialogue is hokey, ponderous and overly dramatic....it just hasn't stood the test of time well at all. As someone else said, the best of all time at character creation. The best at writing? Not so much.

Kirby's art is still the jam though! :cloud9:

I think Stan Lee is a nice guy, and I recognize he had an immeasurable impact on comics (good or bad), but I'm really not interested in reading it. Might have been awesome if I were born in 1950 though. Then again, I could have been reading Warren and EC instead (shrug)

Of course Stan Lee was responsible for creating the greatest characters of comicdom, that will live far beyond all of us.

But his writing to me was hokey, and intended for children, content is maybe 3rd to 4th grade reading level. Moore did not write down to a specific age group audience, and requires a higher level to process some of the content.

Stan Lee also is soo mainstream, appearing in every Marvel flick produced with a wink, wink, nod, nod cameo to appease the masses. While Moore remains ever unapproachable, and as an outsider to even his fan base, declaring Since I don’t have anything to do with the comics industry..... He has stated he is an anarchist on his youtube talks, not in the bullet to the head politico way, but in the we need an "overhaul" way. Again, to me, he is an interesting character.

Of course Stan Lee was responsible for creating the greatest characters of comicdom, that will live far beyond all of us.

But his writing to me was hokey, and intended for children, content is maybe 3rd to 4th grade reading level. Moore did not write down to a specific age group audience, and requires a higher level to process some of the content.

Stan Lee also is soo mainstream, appearing in every Marvel flick produced with a wink, wink, nod, nod cameo to appease the masses. While Moore remains ever unapproachable, and as an outsider to even his fan base, declaring Since I don’t have anything to do with the comics industry..... He has stated he is an anarchist on his youtube talks, not in the bullet to the head politico way, but in the we need an "overhaul" way. Again, to me, he is an interesting character.

That's why Tup prefers Frank Miller :baiting:

Greatest ever? Really?

Really?

And in 10 years time somebody else maybe saying how great writer X is and how Alan Moore's work, or Frank Miller's work, or anybody else from the 80's and 90's, doesn't stand the test of time.

And it may well be true.

Agreed. (thumbs u

I like Alan Moore's comic stories much more than Stan Lee's hokey tales, but Alan Moore is a looney toon. There's no debating that.

The weight of his political views rank somewhere down there between Snookie and the Ty-D-Bol man.

He can conjure up a mean funnybook story, but I laugh at anyone seeking social wisdom in anything he says. :roflmao:

I like Alan Moore's comic stories much more than Stan Lee's hokey tales, but Alan Moore is a looney toon. There's no debating that.

The weight of his political views rank somewhere down there between Snookie and the Ty-D-Bol man.

He can conjure up a mean funnybook story, but I laugh at anyone seeking social wisdom in anything he says. :roflmao:

You're just a meanie.

Yeah, there is.

You laugh while others get wise.

Now even though I'm a huge Stan Lee fan, I agree a lot of his writings did target younger readers. That is how a lot of us got hooked on comics in the first place. Writers like Frank Miller and Alan Moore on the other hand target an older more mature and even slightly higher intellectual reader. The kid in me will always love and collect Stan Lee books while the adult in me craves writings by people like Frank Miller and Alan Moore.

As for Alan Moore vs Frank Miller, I'm going to have to agree with Alan Moore on multiple levels.