• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore on Frank Miller's rant.

284 posts in this topic

I like Alan Moore's comic stories much more than Stan Lee's hokey tales, but Alan Moore is a looney toon. There's no debating that.
Yeah, there is.

He can conjure up a mean funnybook story, but I laugh at anyone seeking social wisdom in anything he says. :roflmao:
You laugh while others get wise.

:roflmao:

No, seriously.

Of course Stan Lee was responsible for creating the greatest characters of comicdom, that will live far beyond all of us.

But his writing to me was hokey, and intended for children, content is maybe 3rd to 4th grade reading level. Moore did not write down to a specific age group audience, and requires a higher level to process some of the content.

Stan Lee also is soo mainstream, appearing in every Marvel flick produced with a wink, wink, nod, nod cameo to appease the masses. While Moore remains ever unapproachable, and as an outsider to even his fan base, declaring Since I don’t have anything to do with the comics industry..... He has stated he is an anarchist on his youtube talks, not in the bullet to the head politico way, but in the we need an "overhaul" way. Again, to me, he is an interesting character.

That's why Tup prefers Frank Miller :baiting:

:banana:

No seriously, both sides being just about symmetrical to me like say roughly Ditko vs Kirby or Batman vs Superman or what have you, my preference for Miller over Moore is a lateral preference. They were both the best of the 80’s; but I’m a Marvel guy & my youthful sentiment hearkens to memories of Daredevil more fondly than to those of Batman. DKR is probably a more epic work than the Miller DD run, but it doesn’t have Electra, Stick, the Hand, Foggy, or an appearance by the Hulk.

Kinda in another way like Secret Wars vs Crisis.

Surely Crisis is the better work but I didn't understand a thing that was going on in it.

Secret Wars is my preference because it had Dr Doom.

I like Alan Moore's comic stories much more than Stan Lee's hokey tales, but Alan Moore is a looney toon. There's no debating that.
Yeah, there is.

He can conjure up a mean funnybook story, but I laugh at anyone seeking social wisdom in anything he says. :roflmao:

No, seriously.

Get wise, Dice :baiting:

Kinda in another way like Secret Wars vs Crisis.

Surely Crisis is the better work but I didn't understand a thing that was going on in it.

Secret Wars is my preference because it had Dr Doom.

The cover to SW#10 is one of my favorites.

The weight of his political views rank somewhere down there between Snookie and the Ty-D-Bol man.

Maybe true, but the same could absolutely be said about Miller as well. Two opposing sides to an issue, both of them happen to have silly ideas in their head and both are terribly eccentric in their own ways. All of us will lean toward one or the other politically but no matter how much you agree with one of them, they are comic guys and not economists. It's like two pro athletes giving polar opposite opinions on a political subject. Football fans will draw lines in the sand while everyone else kinda rolls their eyes.

Yeah, there is.

No, seriously.

Get wise, Dice :baiting:

lol

The weight of his political views rank somewhere down there between Snookie and the Ty-D-Bol man.

Maybe true, but the same could absolutely be said about Miller as well. Two opposing sides to an issue, both of them happen to have silly ideas in their head and both are terribly eccentric in their own ways. All of us will lean toward one or the other politically but no matter how much you agree with one of them, they are comic guys and not economists. It's like two pro athletes giving polar opposite opinions on a political subject. Football fans will draw lines in the sand while everyone else kinda rolls their eyes.

So whose opinions should be considered on political subjects? We all live in this world at this time, and we all have views on how life should be lived. If an artist comes along and says something that makes me think about some small part of the big picture in a different way, why should that be discounted because of his profession?

This is not just a response to you dupont, more to the general mentality that artists' political opinions should be dismissed without consideration.

So whose opinions should be considered on political subjects? We all live in this world at this time, and we all have views on how life should be lived. If an artist comes along and says something that makes me think about some small part of the big picture in a different way, why should that be discounted because of his profession?

This is not just a response to you dupont, more to the general mentality that artists' political opinions should be dismissed without consideration.

I'm not saying a comic book artist or writer can't have a point, but both of these guys are a little insane. Have either of them ever had a rational thought? No doubt. Are they both immature? I suspect so. When Moore said he had nothing to do with comics is when my eyes really rolled, and although I'm a Liberal and am more likely to agree with his rants than Millers, he's a self proclaimed anarchist. To me that's a sign of someone being childish. Both these men are millionaires who work when they want doing what they want and who both have droves of rabid fans who will agree with anything they say or do, which is awesome, but I think it allows one to become disconnected from reality in a way that Michael Jackson was.

To your first question -- political opinion or otherwise shouldn't be discounted because of profession.

Artists' political opinions (except all actors post 1625 :banana: ) should be given more consideration than all other professions.

I've found that it's actually easier to just go ahead and dismiss everyone's opinion without consideration.

...both of these guys are a little insane. Have either of them ever had a rational thought? No doubt. Are they both immature? I suspect so....

These people (along with Moore and Miller, might as well throw in Eisner, Spiegelman, Gaiman, Crumb, any of the mad geniuses) exist in a sufficiently different world from the majority of the mainstream, it may be helpful or more accurate to frame them in an easily referenced group. Call them "awesomites" or "nutjobbios", or "sub group a".

Makes no difference to them I suspect. Their behavior, their words, may or may not be smack dab in the middle of the bell curve of normal. But only so far as normal for people who have had exactly the upbringing, life experience, and unique pain of existence that they have gone thru.

Ignoring or discounting 'sub group a's' opinions would make life miserable.
I'm not dismissing a sub groups opinion, I'm dismissing two individuals opinions based on my own perception of them individually. I called them comic book guys not to say comic book guys can't have common sense or be educated on a subject outside of comics, I called them comic book guys because if it were not for their profession, NOBODY would give their opinion a second thought. Us arguing over what Moore and Miller said about this or that is exactly like football fans arguing over what their favorite players said about the very same thing. Now, when it's politicians and Wall Street insiders arguing about the subject it makes more sense to take note, not because these people are always right or even trustworthy to do what's right, but because they will actually decide the outcome of these events.

That's cool. Thanks for your reply. Here is my clarification.

We pay attention to Miller & Moore by virtue of their membership in sub group a.

I assert that we should give priority to the opinions of talented artists. Even political opinions.

Sub group a consists of talented artists.