• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New planet found. We "may" all be supermen there.

51 posts in this topic

So whats the next step? hm

Maybe send a robot controlled ship there to take pictures for future generations?

600 hundred years is a long time, if we go back to 1492 that even wasn`t 600 years ago :o

To get there measuring with/against the speed of light( Light has NO mass) humans can probably get somewhere of 10% of the speed of light. Supply stations would need to be launched years in advance, and ships set up to have generations born and raised on the traveling ships for about a century.

Then, once there, the travelers would need to assess if humans could really withstand the larger planet. Probably not, as the gravitational pull would not allow the humans to breathe, stand up, or anything else. Death would occur within 3 minutes of entering that planets' atmosphere.

They need to find a similar planet, but earth-sized. Venus is almost the size of earth, but too hot and too close to the sun.

CAL just thinkin'...

Maybe send a robot controlled ship there to take pictures for future generations?

600 hundred years is a long time, if we go back to 1492 that even wasn`t 600 years ago :o

To get there measuring with/against the speed of light( Light has NO mass) humans can probably get somewhere of 10% of the speed of light. Supply stations would need to be launched years in advance, and ships set up to have generations born and raised on the traveling ships for about a century.

Then, once there, the travelers would need to assess if humans could really withstand the larger planet. Probably not, as the gravitational pull would not allow the humans to breathe, stand up, or anything else. Death would occur within 3 minutes of entering that planets' atmosphere.

They need to find a similar planet, but earth-sized. Venus is almost the size of earth, but too hot and too close to the sun.

CAL just thinkin'...

Maybe some day, some scientists will think of a way to deflect some of the sunlight reaching Venus, like a giant outer space shield of some type that would shade the planet to the extent to where the light that reaches it would be equal to what we get here. Then it could cool down and be a place to be colonized. Hmm, I wonder how much 625 million square feet of sunglasses material would cost?

It has a climate that has everything to sustain life, like our Earth does and has ideal temperature for allowing the human life to prosper.

You just know that there is an alien that works late shift at the public utilities somewhere on that plant getting scolded for not turning out the lights when those "degenerate earthlings from down the galaxy" flew past. 2c

It ain't 600 years. It is 600 LIGHT years away. In human spaceship travel time, that is probably in the millions of our years.

Light travels at approximately 186,000 mph. A light year is how far light can travel in one of our years. So, I guess to find out how far one light year is in distance. You would have to figure out how many hours are in one year, and then multiply 186,000 by that number.

I think I heard the figure of 22 million Human Years of travel time to get to this new planet.

We can't get ANYTHING there in less than 600 human years, and the only thing that could do that, would be light itself.

If my science knowledge is not failing me, what we actually see of this planet through a telescope. Is how it looked 22 million years ago. That is how long it took the light (image) from it, to get to our telescope. :ohnoez:

One of you super nerds is welcome to correct me if I am wrong. I ain't the brightest light bulb on the Christmas Tree.

On a side note. I heard yesterday, that somehow, someway, those involved with the satellites that provide us with GPS capabilities. Discovered that the spped limit of light we have always believed in as being the fastest thing possible. May not be correct. If they are right, then almost all scientific knowledge we have about dating things in our planets history before man, will be thrown way off. If "they" are correct, it will throw Einsteins theory of relativity out the window, and turn the scientific community upside down.

But, they haven't been proven correct yet. It was the finding of one scientific team and two more teams from different parts of the world are now trying to verify and replicate the finding.

Interesting stuff, that really doesn't amount to a hill of beans to those currently alive. Except in the context of "knowing" or "wanting to know".

I'm just trying to survive until the year 2016. That is when SETI believes they will most likely verify intelligent life "out there", besides us.

This is assuming you consider us intelligent, and that we will make it past 2012. :) (I wonder how the Aztecs knew who the "most powerful person on the planet, would be in December of 2012). Smart dudes, those Aztecs.

It has a climate that has everything to sustain life, like our Earth does and has ideal temperature for allowing the human life to prosper.

You just know that there is an alien that works late shift at the public utilities somewhere on that plant getting scolded for not turning out the lights when those "degenerate earthlings from down the galaxy" flew past. 2c

"To serve man"

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!!!!!!

If "they" leave today, in their endeavor to conquer us. They may arrive in a few million years.

Unless of course they are a class 9 civilization. In that case, they may arrive tomorrow. :(

We will still kick their azzez though. We have the WWF, UFC and Chuck Norris!

If "they" leave today, in their endeavor to conquer us. They may arrive in a few million years.

Unless of course they are a class 9 civilization. In that case, they may arrive tomorrow. :(

We may as well surrender now to our new Overlords.

It ain't 600 years. It is 600 LIGHT years away. In human spaceship travel time, that is probably in the millions of our years.

Light travels at approximately 186,000 mph. A light year is how far light can travel in one of our years. So, I guess to find out how far one light year is in distance. You would have to figure out how many hours are in one year, and then multiply 186,000 by that number.

I think I heard the figure of 22 million Human Years of travel time to get to this new planet.

We can't get ANYTHING there in less than 600 human years, and the only thing that could do that, would be light itself.

If my science knowledge is not failing me, what we actually see of this planet through a telescope. Is how it looked 22 million years ago. That is how long it took the light (image) from it, to get to our telescope. :ohnoez:

One of you super nerds is welcome to correct me if I am wrong. I ain't the brightest light bulb on the Christmas Tree.

On a side note. I heard yesterday, that somehow, someway, those involved with the satellites that provide us with GPS capabilities. Discovered that the spped limit of light we have always believed in as being the fastest thing possible. May not be correct. If they are right, then almost all scientific knowledge we have about dating things in our planets history before man, will be thrown way off. If "they" are correct, it will throw Einsteins theory of relativity out the window, and turn the scientific community upside down.

But, they haven't been proven correct yet. It was the finding of one scientific team and two more teams from different parts of the world are now trying to verify and replicate the finding.

Interesting stuff, that really doesn't amount to a hill of beans to those currently alive. Except in the context of "knowing" or "wanting to know".

I'm just trying to survive until the year 2016. That is when SETI believes they will most likely verify intelligent life "out there", besides us.

This is assuming you consider us intelligent, and that we will make it past 2012. :) (I wonder how the Aztecs knew who the "most powerful person on the planet, would be in December of 2012). Smart dudes, those Aztecs.

Light travels at about 186,000 miles per second .

I knew that, but I stand corrected. doh!

It makes it even more doubtful I will live to greet them. Or be "served" by them. :)

(this is me crossing my fingers, hoping Chuck Norris has a slew of sons, that produce a slew of sons, etc, infinity: to protect mankind (and woman kind)).

:wishluck:

It is several times the size of earth, so if the sun doesn't make us super, the gravity will make us pancakes.

MMM.....pancakes :cloud9:

lol

blueberry

MMM....blueberry pancakes :cloud9::cloud9:

Your sites are set too small. Think BIG.

Pancakes with butter, walnut sprinkles and sugar free syrup (yes, sugar free). With a side of Jimmy Dean sausage. :)

:whee:

"To serve man"

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!!!!!!

:o

Classic :applause:

"To serve man"

IT'S A COOKBOOK!!!!!!!!

:o

Classic :applause:

31GJD7FT2DL._SX320_SY240_.jpg

If its 600 light years away shouldnt we be seeing that planet as it was 600 years ago?

Since a light year is the distance light travels in a year.

If its 600 light years away shouldnt we be seeing that planet as it was 600 years ago?

Since a light year is the distance light travels in a year.

Correct. Light leaving that star takes 600 of our years to reach us. Hence we 'see' the star as it was 600 years ago. The light from our own sun takes 11 minutes or so to reach us ... we see the sun as it was 11 minutes ago.

Please don't forget about special relativity when talking about travel; remember the faster the astronaut goes, the slower time, from his frame of reference, is. So, it may be some 22M years of our time for the astronaut to reach this spot ... but to him, maybe only 30 years has past ... >

It's a one way trip until we invent warp drive.