• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen 2? Ugh

35 posts in this topic

Am I the only one dreading the inevitable announcement of future "Watchmen" projects?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/05/jg-jones-to-draw-the-comedian-in-watchmen-2/

Granted, DC is planning prequels rather than sequels, but still...

I'm sure the curiosity factor will be high on any future Watchmen comics, but as a fan of the original Alan Moore epic, I'll respectably decline to purchase any spinoffs.

Why not do it? Maybe these creators have something good in mind. (shrug)

More importantly, they already shattered the "Watchmen is sacred" thing when they made the ehhhh movie. 2c

Darwyn has huge, enormous, titanium and diamond cajones for taking on writing anything to do with Watchmen.

I found the new 52 asinine or boring in equal parts. I wont be picking any of this up.

Why would they want to do this...besides the almighty dollar.

Without Alan Moore this is just going to suck.

That is my biggest problem with it as well. Reportedly, Dave Gibbons is involved in this in some aspect, but obviously Moore is not. If the Moore/Gibbons team decided to go back to well and do more Watchmen, I'd give it a shot, but not with any other creative teams.

It's too late to work with Watchmen. It's too big. Everyone has their own preconceived notions of what happened before or after the series. We've got too many of our own thoughts into these characters we all love. So no matter what they come up with, it won't match what we already have in our minds, so it simply won't work for the bulk of fans.

I don't think anything else needs to be done with Watchmen. The original series is enough, and I'm not interested in seeing other creators messing around with its world.  It's nicely self-contained and an amazing piece of work, apart from the flawed ending.

If true, just a terrible, terrible idea.

Can't they come up with something new and interesting instead of rehashing stuff from nearly 30 years ago :frustrated:

Oddly, this is my main problem with Film, Television, Literature, and Popular Theater.

There's nothing new under the sun.

The bad thing about this is: despite the misgivings that most people have about more Watchmen projects, the comics are going to sell - A LOT. I can see these mini series easily being in the top 20 each month and, depending on the creative teams involved, they could EASILY surpass 100K units.

I'm going to vote with my wallet and NOT support this, but enough people will to justify the decision on DC's part.

The story line is perfect as it is. A prequel won't work coz the characterization was well laid out, a followup won't work either coz we already know what happens after the event.

The only thing that might work is prolly a spin-off focusing the Comedian's under ground job for the government. Plus he and Dr. Manhattan were partners before.

The story line is perfect as it is. A prequel won't work coz the characterization was well laid out, a followup won't work either coz we already know what happens after the event.

The only thing that might work is prolly a spin-off focusing the Comedian's under ground job for the government. Plus he and Dr. Manhattan were partners before.

892412-george__kramer_and_seinfeld_super.jpg

The bad thing about this is: despite the misgivings that most people have about more Watchmen projects, the comics are going to sell - A LOT. I can see these mini series easily being in the top 20 each month and, depending on the creative teams involved, they could EASILY surpass 100K units.

I'm going to vote with my wallet and NOT support this, but enough people will to justify the decision on DC's part.

This.

If there's anything in the world that will get fanboys in an uproar it will be Watchmen. Those that want to like it will buy it. Those that want to hate it will buy it so they can complain about it and be able to justify their opinion on internet message boards.

If Liefeld draws it, I do believe that the internet will explode.

I don't think anything else needs to be done with Watchmen. The original series is enough, and I'm not interested in seeing other creators messing around with its world.  It's nicely self-contained and an amazing piece of work, apart from the flawed ending.

An the ending was borrowed from an old Outer Limits episode.