• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto comic shop recommendations!

43 posts in this topic

Here's a full list of Toronto comic book retailers:

http://joeshusterawards.com/links/links-to-retailers-in-canada/links-to-retailers-in-canada-ontario/#O48

All depends on what you are looking for. The only downtown Toronto store to win our Harry Kremer Outstanding Comic Book Retailer award in the 7 years we've been handing them out is The Beguiling, which is very active in the community and has a fine selection of alternative/artistic comics and graphic novels in addition to more mainstream releases.

Hamilton's Big B Comics has also won the Retailer Award, and is a great, well-rounded comic shop --- it offers the best of all worlds with new books, back issues and ephemera.

Cyber City Comics, at the North end of the city is a store that quite a few people recommend, and recently won an online survey for having the best selection of graphic novels and trade paperbacks.

Pendragon, Paradise, Dragon Lady and Whitby's Comic Book Addiction are the stores with the best selections of Bronze and Silver Age books.

1,000,000 Comix and Silver Snail (another local survey winner) are great for new issues and toys/statues.

BMV is your best stop for deeply discounted trades and hardcovers, and dollar bin books. The Bloor Street store actually has a decent selection of Bronze and Silver Age books on the 3rd floor. The Labyrinth, across the street from the Bloor Street BMV has a great selection of art and animation-related books.

Holy cow there's a lot of angry, tough mo-fo's in Toronto tonight. Mostly men.

Just checked into a hotel and everybody's drinking and wearing UFC shirts.

:eek:

You are back in Toronto.????

Craap...I forgot the restraining order expired today..

You are back in Toronto.????

Craap...I forgot the restraining order expired today..

With a vengeance.

:devil:

We're here often. I love it.

:cloud9:

It sounds like a very different atmosphere from when comicon was in town.

Pendragon- VG-F SA- Usually over-priced-inventory stronger in DC titles Owner is adamently against CGC- good selection of new titles- limited variants.

1 million comix- exceptional variant selection- Expensive variants usually $19-39- for 9.4-9.6- 9.8's can be found if your patient. Very limited BA/SA- anything over 9.0 usually has CT.-huge inventory of Moderns

Silver-snail- small inventory of SA/BA- most of thier inventory was sold years ago- Limited selection of current moderns-raw variants found behind the counter- usaully 9.6's- priced like CGC graded books-

I have been to two other comic shops in Oakville and Hamilton- back issue's are never bagged or boarded- andthing more than 3 months old have been well man handled, pretty much worthless- Predominatly DC tittles- forget trying to find anything better than a 9.2-9.4.

Pendragon is a museum, good luck finding anything at a reasonable price. They have incredible books, but YOU get to look at Zerox copies, and generally even common silver is priced at 1 and a half X guide.

I can second this great stuff just way over priced and Darcy is well........interesting.

I was a customer there for over a decade, and never bought anything but modern.

Anything else was just too much $$$. He also has two grading modes. Undergrade buying and overgrade selling.

Hey all,

I'll be in Toronto this weekend for the first time in a lonnnnnnnnnng time supporting Jonny Bones in his title defense at UFC 140. Figured I'd check in on any cool comic shops specializing in (or at least having a decent selection of) silver and bronze in and around the downtown core (staying near the ACC and won't have a car to travel outside of town).

Any particular spots you might know from experience and recommend? From what I could turn up in Google (or find via a rudimentary search here), I couldn't judge which spots offered much beyond a few older books with the focus on moderns and graphic novels and toys, etc.

Thanks very much for your input!

[font:Book Antiqua]So what happen, Do you have a good time in Toronto?

Make any comic book shopping?[/font]

(shrug)

Hey all,

I'll be in Toronto this weekend for the first time in a lonnnnnnnnnng time supporting Jonny Bones in his title defense at UFC 140. Figured I'd check in on any cool comic shops specializing in (or at least having a decent selection of) silver and bronze in and around the downtown core (staying near the ACC and won't have a car to travel outside of town).

Any particular spots you might know from experience and recommend? From what I could turn up in Google (or find via a rudimentary search here), I couldn't judge which spots offered much beyond a few older books with the focus on moderns and graphic novels and toys, etc.

Thanks very much for your input!

Yeah, but dude!

What about YOU'RE input?

Let's hear how you're weekend went.

Did you make it to any cool comic shops & if so, did you acquire anything of note ( & as you know, in this hobby, EVERY acquisition is of note! ).

And, I'd love to hear how the UFC card was live.

It HAD to have been awesome.

I thought Machida was going to trouble "Bones" just like he wound up doing , but, for a whole lot longer...

Yep, I was thinking upset. But after that first round, Jones turned up the heat & really took it to "The Dragon". With those damned viscious elbows of his just getting more & MORE dangerous for his opposition with each & every fight.

Hell, I used to think that David Loiseau's elbows were brutal, but "Bones'" are on a whole different, destructive level.

And speaking of destructive, what Mir did to Big Nog's arm was damn near sadistic! I mean, he had to do what he had to do of course, but that made what he did to Tim Sylvia's arm a few years back look bloody gentle in comparison.

On a bit more of a personal note, I was sorry to see Mark Hominick get taken out like he was by "The Korean Zombie". 'Cause I go WAY back with Mark.

Back about a decade ago I judged some of his, Tim Stout & Shawn Tompkin's kickboxing bouts when they used to fight regularly here in Western New York.

Yeah, but dude!

What about YOU'RE input?

Did you make it to any cool comic shops & if so, did you acquire anything of note ( & as you know, in this hobby, EVERY acquisition is of note! ).

I thought Machida was going to trouble "Bones" just like he wound up doing , but, for a whole lot longer...

Yep, I was thinking upset. But after that first round, Jones turned up the heat & really took it to "The Dragon". With those damned viscious elbows of his just getting more & MORE dangerous for his opposition with each & every fight.

Hell, I used to think that David Loiseau's elbows were brutal, but "Bones'" are on a whole different, destructive level.

And speaking of destructive, what Mir did to Big Nog's arm was damn near sadistic! I mean, he had to do what he had to do of course, but that made what he did to Tim Sylvia's arm a few years back look bloody gentle in comparison.

On a bit more of a personal note, I was sorry to see Mark Hominick get taken out like he was by "The Korean Zombie". 'Cause I go WAY back with Mark.

Back about a decade ago I judged some of his, Tim Stout & Shawn Tompkin's kickboxing bouts when they used to fight regularly here in Western New York.

Please correct and resubmit

2034269628_Grammar_Police_xlarge.gif

Did anyone mention the Beguiling on Markham Street (off Bloor) next to Honest Ed's?

Specializing in ggggraphic novels and pretentious stuff. Lots of emo chicks (yes I said chicks) hang out. Upstairs they sell current and back issues. The neighbourhood store I first went to when I started collecting in the 90's.

Thank God for the internet.

Yeah, but dude!

What about YOU'RE input?

OUCH!

What was I thinking?!!

I gladly accept my fines for making such lunk-headed errors.

Can I send a check or submit my credit card no. over the phone or do I have to appear/pay in person?

lol

Yeah, but dude!

What about YOU'RE input?

OUCH!

What was I thinking?!!

I gladly accept my fines for making such lunk-headed errors.

Can I send a check or submit my credit card no. over the phone or do I have to appear/pay in person?

lol

You are hereby sentence to give me your next action comics #1

Did anyone mention the Beguiling on Markham Street (off Bloor) next to Honest Ed's?

Specializing in ggggraphic novels and pretentious stuff. Lots of emo chicks (yes I said chicks) hang out. Upstairs they sell current and back issues. The neighbourhood store I first went to when I started collecting in the 90's.

Thank God for the internet.

They may appear aloof, sometimes bordering stoned, but it's a great store and the guy that runs it now does a lot to support the local art scene. They even opened up a shop on the other side along Bathurst which caters to a younger audience of readers. Found many nice books at the Beguiling and I'd rank it much higher than any shop in Toronto south of Bloor.

I recommend getting a day pass for the TTC since that way you can just hop on to any bus/subway/street car anytime, anywhere. PLus the pass is good for two people ;)

Or simply flash your badge and you ride the TTC for free!!

Hey guys,

Sorry I missed out on some of your suggestions - I was kind of off the grid from Friday-Monday and looking back at this now, I wish I had seen the BMV on Bloor reference because I definitely would have hit that up. As it happened we actually stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle (two blocks from the ACC), so just about everything we did (except checking out the Distillery district on Sunday a.m.) was done on foot.

As per a few recommendations, I went to the Silver Snail, which is indeed still in its original location (I think?). Sadly, I concur with what I've read in previous posts - while I actually thought the pull-out drawers of alphabetized books were pretty cool, I was underwhelmed by their selection of Silver Age material, and what *was* available was priced probably a full 1.0 to 1.5 higher than its actual condition, at full guide. In other words, there were no deals to be had, and I left empty-handed. They have a lot of placeholder cardboard sleeves with certain "premium" books listed that you needed to ask to see, but frankly, based on the pricing and grading I was seeing on the more common stock, I didn't even feel like wasting my time or theirs. Honestly, I think I'm getting to the realization that most brick-and-mortar dealers (not all!) don't understand that hanging onto product they've priced at guide for years and years and years as it fades or collects damage does them absolutely no good; price your stuff fairly and competitively as if you were at a convention, turn stuff over, and generate return customers!

They did have a fairly neat assortment of old Star Wars figures and the like which was nice to see for nostalgia purposes, but beyond that nothing in the store really did it for me. Lots of discount bins of various modern action figures and other carp failed to really elevate the vibe, either. What surprised me was that they had some framed newspaper article on Kevin Smith where he called Silver Snail "the greatest comic book store in the world". I really don't get that, but to be fair I think the article was from the mid-'90s.

As for the UFC event, wow - if you were a fan, you had to love that card and the fights. The only downer was that with the number of quick finishes, there was a lot of sitting around and waiting live (in-arena) as earlier fights were either replayed on TV (or the PPV), or Rogan and Goldberg did their standups in front of the Octagon. Pretty disappointed the Machine Hominick got TKFO'd in seven seconds - I've been supporting him since his TKO days in Montreal and it was such an emotional, important fight for him in his hometown following the death of Shawn Tompkins that your heart just went out to the guy. On the flip side, I'm kind of indifferent about Mir, but that comeback and arm break of Nogueira was insane - they must have replayed the arm breaking in slo-mo about seven times as Rogan was interviewing him in postfight while medical staff attended to Big Nog; each time you could literally hear the entire crowd groan en masse. As for the main event, it was just fantastic. Bones' "Beautiful People" Chris Brown/Benny Benassi entrance music set a perfect vibe for the performance that followed - how some people can't give the kid his due at 24 after walking through the former champions he's walked through in a single year is beyond me. I really don't see anyone touching him for a long time.

Best part of staying at the Westin was that it was the fighters' hotel, so the people-watching at the bar was unreal. Off the top of my head I saw Brendan Schaub, Greg Jackson, Shondella Powell, Bruce Buffer, Frank Shamrock, Mike Whitehead, Sam Stout, Mark Bocek, Ivan Pokrajac, Hominick, and the granddaddy of 'em all, Tito Ortiz himself, who held court and attracted a MASSIVE crowd in the lobby looking none-the-worse-for-wear following the event on Saturday.

All in all a great weekend, despite the disappointment on the comic front! I'd love to get out to Hamilton to catch a Bulldogs game and check out the spots you guys recommended there in the near future - sounds like that's a far better bet.

Hey guys,

Sorry I missed out on some of your suggestions - I was kind of off the grid from Friday-Monday and looking back at this now, I wish I had seen the BMV on Bloor reference because I definitely would have hit that up. As it happened we actually stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle (two blocks from the ACC), so just about everything we did (except checking out the Distillery district on Sunday a.m.) was done on foot.

:o

We were in the Westin Harbour Castle the same weekend! One of my favourite hotels in Toronto.

As per a few recommendations, I went to the Silver Snail, which is indeed still in its original location (I think?). Sadly, I concur with what I've read in previous posts - while I actually thought the pull-out drawers of alphabetized books were pretty cool, I was underwhelmed by their selection of Silver Age material, and what *was* available was priced probably a full 1.0 to 1.5 higher than its actual condition, at full guide. In other words, there were no deals to be had, and I left empty-handed.

What you've just experienced here is exactly what I would've told you beforehand, but I just thought that you ought to find this out for yourself and was curious if you'd came to the exact same conclusion.

FYI, Silver Snail's original location was actually at 321 Queen St. West from when it first opened in 1976 to about maybe 1983 when it moved to its current location.

What surprised me was that they had some framed newspaper article on Kevin Smith where he called Silver Snail "the greatest comic book store in the world". I really don't get that, but to be fair I think the article was from the mid-'90s.

Personally, I think that probably would've been the case during the late-1970's to late-1980's. Though it did have some major competition from Dragon Lady (formerly at 200 Queen St. West) during that period.