• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 Collecting Goals: How'd you do?

43 posts in this topic

Completed my goals for this year.

I acquired a Showcase 22 in 4.5 OW/W pages,from GAtor at SDCC.

Also knocked a few books from my want list

From Bob Storms a Batman 234 (1st Two Face in the B.A.),a NM- Defenders #10

From John Dolmayan a Batman 251 NM-

Next year a Journey into Mystery #83 in 3.0-4.0 and TMNT #1 7.5-8.5

and to get a few books off that want list again. :applause:

My goals were almost completed for the most part except finishing the JIM 83-125 run. I'm short a few.

I completed my TOS 39 run all graded

I nearly completed my run of Iron Man 1-300. I'm still looking for a raw super white Iron Man #9

In 2012, my goal is to complete the few JIMs I need and then get FF 1-10. I have 7 and 8.

didn't start out with any set goals, probably should have!

Goals:

1. Thanks to frank (and others!) selling off his X-Men run, I was able to start my SA X-Men run (1-66), which I'm collecting for my little-mans to be. I can't wait until the little guy gets here - expeted January 22nd! :whee:

2. Shifted from buying mostly raw books to mostly CGC books (only makes sense to buy already CGC'd when all I'm going to do is sub them myself).

3. Picked up some mid to high grade bronze age books that I wanted, but could never commit to.

Other things:

Was able to knock off a bunch of variant cover 9.8s I wanted; started acquiring some SS sketch covers.

Oh and the same thing happened to me! Thanks to Dre, that is! lol

Otherwise, a complete lack of focus and discipline meant I spent too much money on any purdy looking book that caught my eye. doh!

Goals for next year:

1. buy my scanner that's on amazon!

2. establish a comic budget (covering both sales, purchases, and related expenses)

3. knock off 5-10 9.0+ issues for my SA X-Men set for Paxton

4. submit from my personal collection 25 books prior to buying more CGC from others - unless the purchase is to satisfy goal #3...

5. take some time to explain my sets, describe the books in my registry sets, and scan front/back pics (just devote some time to present them the way i would like to)

6. organize, organize, organize!

Not well. Bad year. I sold all my mid & upper grade SA books and most were SS for me. They were AF15, JIM 83, DD 168, Hulk 1, SC22, my big one a GA CA #1 SS, and a few others. All sold on CL. Goal was to use the CASH from all the sales plus what I usually do every year and buy 1 or 2 HG books or a better GA CA #1.

Always out bid on the auctions and when I placed a Buy on the boards here, no one had anything to sell to me. Lost on SC22 9.0, JIM 9.0, and a few others.

CASH rich and no books bought this year. :(

I hope 2012 looks good. I see some stuff I like and hopefully will win this time around in auctions.

I was going to move the $ to my BOND collection but nothing out there I wanted. BOND HOARDERS out there.

I don't believe I came into 2011 with any specific goals so I don't have much achieved:

1. Tried for the 1,000 read in a year but stopped counting mid-way. I estimate I read about 700 for the year.

2. Didn't know that I would start collecting the Dell & Gold Key Tarzan series of 206 issues. I did start and I am only missing 9 issues.

3. In February, I completed my Senate Exhibit Pre-Code Horror recreation :cloud9: (See pic below)

4. Found a copy of Bill Boyd Western # 21 after 10 years and 1 month of looking for one. :banana:

118918.jpg.dcfb8df1b2516e1a8896a9605a953fe2.jpg

just about finished putting my entire collection on a database.

year started off good, picked up a complete run of high grade marvel spotlight at a great price.

then picked up a run of astonishing tales that was in 9.0 plus shape, i overpaid but im a huge deathlok fan.

continued to buy and read every new marvel book that is related to the marvel universe but not a reprint.

middle of the year was mostly reading and new books bought, money was tight.

just last month i picked up a spider-man 129 vf/nm a much better copy than the 40 bucks i paid for it. got super lucky and found a listing on ebay that the header read "amazing spide-man for sale" so when i got the punisher book i went back and asked for a total on the other issues 88-128 and got them all for 512 bucks with shipping included. so 12.50 per books some were worth the money others were not, but got 5 books that i think are grading worthy out of the run.

did not get near as far as i wanted on my reading of back issues that are now complete.

and i still am about 7000 total books short of completing my entire "every marvel universe ever printed" collection, but ive only been on it for 7 years and now at about 62 percent complete, and have added many key books and runs this year, so im not complainin, just hope i live long enough to get them all read.

2. Didn't know that I would start collecting the Dell & Gold Key Tarzan series of 206 issues.

3. In February, I completed my Senate Exhibit Pre-Code Horror recreation :cloud9: (See pic below)

#2 lollol

#3 :o(worship)

Not well. Bad year. I sold all my mid & upper grade SA books and most were SS for me. They were AF15, JIM 83, DD 168, Hulk 1, SC22, my big one a GA CA #1 SS, and a few others. All sold on CL. Goal was to use the CASH from all the sales plus what I usually do every year and buy 1 or 2 HG books or a better GA CA #1.

Wow !! Good luck with the Cap 1 (thumbs u

High points in 2011:

1) Got some economy CGC submissions back (after 4 and half months!). One was a Thor 156 9.8 WP that I bought off Ebay.

2) Purchased a ASM GRR record and found a ASM GRR comic inside.

3) finished my set of the four Marvel Golden Record reprints of comics and records - thanks to Joel Elad

4) Purchased a Red Sonja 19 CGC 9.8 gold foil - thanks to VPComics

5) Completed a high grade Conan the Barbarian run 1-200 plus 275

6) put together a Avengers mini run of 1-16 (thanks to Spider-Dan)

7) completed a JIM run of 83-125 (thanks to many, esp. ngh81 for 83)

8) Completed a CGC run of ASM 1-20 (thanks to mynameis legion for ASM 15)

9) put together my top 100 Marvel comic list and am working on getting the actual keys or reprints

10) picked up a beautiful 9.4 Thor 127 thanks to Rube11

11) bought my first double cover comic (thanks to Shark for Conan 3)

12) enjoyed the Thor, X-Men and Cap movies that were released

Other non-comic related:

Started practicing and improving on my Gibson EB-3 Bass

Bought an electric six-string and am taking lessons locally and thru the Internet

Son got married in September

th_DSCN4724.jpg