• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU OWN

1,214 posts in this topic

Cool thread!

Silver Surfer 1 CGC 7.5

Hulk 181 CGC 4.0 Signed by Lee, Romita, Trimpe, and Wein

Hulk 181 CGC 7.5 (yes, i own two Hulk 181's)

GSXM 1 CGC 8.5

X-Men 1 CGC 2.0 Signed by Stan Lee

Thats the heart and soul of my collection!

I lost the vast majority of my collection in a house fire about 18 months ago but have since started to piece some of my favorites back together.

ASM 300 8.5 signed by Lee and McFarlane

X-men 251 9.6 signed by Silvestri and Claremont. (Not an expensive book dollar wise, but my favorite xmen cover growing up)

Silver Surfer 4 ungraded in my opinion probably a 6.5 - 7

ASM 129 ungraded lower grade 4.5 - 5

The new collection is coming along. =}

I lost the vast majority of my collection in a house fire about 18 months ago but have since started to piece some of my favorites back together.

X-men 251 9.6 signed by Silvestri and Claremont. (Not an expensive book dollar wise, but my favorite xmen cover growing up)

that's horrible. Big collection? Insurance?

Big

It was big enough. About 20 years worth. I lost some things that I know I'll probably never own again, namely my ASM 14, my FF 48 and my Hulk 181. Those were the 3 crowned jewels of it but of course tons of 50-100 dollar books thrown in. Tons of ASM, X-men, vol1 Silver surfer and everything else I collected.

However, as heartbreaking as it was, and still is a little every day, it did breathe new excitement and life into the hobby for me. My son is about to turn 6 and I love taking him out on garage sale treasure hunts. This past October I found a garage sale where I found an ASM 252, a Secret Wars 8, and xmen 266 for less than 5 dollars each. Before the fire, Fuad I found them like that it'd be a nice find. But now? Now a find like that is like hitting the lottery. lol

I had thought I'd never collect again but about 6 months after the fire my son asked if we were gonna buy comics again. I took him to the LCS and bought a few books and the bug just came aback instantly.

It'll never be what it WAS but it IS what it is and I'm happy to just enjoy them again with new eyes of my own and seeing them through the eyes of my son. =}

Sorry bout the novel. I'd never really explained all that outside of my head before. =}

Big

It was big enough. About 20 years worth. I lost some things that I know I'll probably never own again, namely my ASM 14, my FF 48 and my Hulk 181. Those were the 3 crowned jewels of it

but of course tons of 50-100 dollar books thrown in. Tons of ASM, X-men, vol1 Silver surfer

and everything else I collected.

However, as heartbreaking as it was, and still is a little every day, it did breathe new excitement and life into the hobby for me. My son is about to turn 6 and I love taking him out on garage sale treasure hunts. This past October I found a garage sale where I found an ASM 252, a Secret Wars 8, and xmen 266 for less than 5 dollars each. Before the fire, Fuad I found them like that it'd be a nice find. But now? Now a find like that is like hitting the lottery. lol

I had thought I'd never collect again but about 6 months after the fire my son asked if we were gonna buy comics again. I took him to the LCS and bought a few books and the bug just came aback instantly.

It'll never be what it WAS but it IS what it is and I'm happy to just enjoy them again with new eyes of my own and seeing them through the eyes of my son. =}

Sorry bout the novel. I'd never really explained all that outside of my head before. =}

That's horrible but at least your starting again and sharing with your son. Like oak said you can rebuild it. (thumbs u

You can get those crown jewels back,they are not that expensive.

Haha. They are expensive enough to not be able to justify spending that kind of money if or the grades I'd like them in.

Maybe the ASM 14 and the FF 48, but the 181 is probably a bit prohibitive. =}

But yes, I can build it again just with more focused wants and goals.

Thanks guys. =}

You can get those crown jewels back,they are not that expensive.

Haha. They are expensive enough to not be able to justify spending that kind of money if or the grades I'd like them in.

Maybe the ASM 14 and the FF 48, but the 181 is probably a bit prohibitive. =}

But yes, I can build it again just with more focused wants and goals.

Thanks guys. =}

The fun was and is in the hunt! Good Luck!

The following are my favorites of what I own I consider my grails

ASM 39 - cgc pending

ASM 121 - cgc pending

ASM 122 - cgc pending

ASM 300 - cgc pending

I'm looking to add an ASM 40 in matching grade to the 39 once confirmed.

These will shift as I eventually knock down my want list a bit, hopefully :)

This looks like fun, I want to play!

Lots of great books by the way guys. Some really boner worthy and rare and high grade stuff on here to be sure. But anything can be a grail in your collection if you :cloud9: it.

Here's my Top Five:

Action Comics #23 (1940) -- 6.5, blue label

Amazing Fantasy #15 -- 6.5, blue label

Detective Comics #33 (1939) -- 3.0, blue label

Incredible Hulk #1 (1962) -- 5.5, blue label

Captain America Comics #1 (1941) -- 5.0, blue label

-J.

I'll jump in on this one!

It's nothing compared to some of the great books posted but these are what I have:

Amazing Fantasy #15 (1.0 Signed by Stan)

Incredible Hulk #1 (2.0 Signed by Stan, will be coming back soon from CGC)

ASM #129 (5.0 Signed by Gerry Conway, John Romita and Stan Lee)

DD #1 (2.0 Signed by Stan)

JIM #83 (1.0 Raw)

Basically whats in my signature line and I am very happy to have them! :cloud9:

I'll jump in on this one!

It's nothing compared to some of the great books posted but these are what I have:

Amazing Fantasy #15 (1.0 Signed by Stan)

Incredible Hulk #1 (2.0 Signed by Stan, will be coming back soon from CGC)

ASM #129 (5.0 Signed by Gerry Conway, John Romita and Stan Lee)

DD #1 (2.0 Signed by Stan)

JIM #83 (1.0 Raw)

Basically whats in my signature line and I am very happy to have them! :cloud9:

Awesome books dave! Mega keys, one and all.

-J.

This looks like fun, I want to play!

Lots of great books by the way guys. Some really boner worthy and rare and high grade stuff on here to be sure. But anything can be a grail in your collection if you :cloud9: it.

Here's my Top Five:

Action Comics #23 (1940) -- 6.5, blue label

Amazing Fantasy #15 -- 6.0, blue label

Detective Comics #33 (1939) -- 3.0, blue label

Incredible Hulk #1 (1962) -- 5.5, blue label

Showcase #4 -- 4.0, blue label

-J.

Tec #33 is really an extremely under-appreciated key. Common sense says that it should be the most valuable Tec outside of 27. One of the most important comics ever published. (thumbs u

Great lists..

Some real great lists on this thread.... Would really love a nice AF #15 ( jealous of the lists with these !

These are mine ...

AMS # 1 8.5 pacific coast.

Hulk #1 7.5 Kirby and lee sigs

JIM # 83 8.0

Now it gets dicy... I have some other nice silver but to pick 5 those remain unlisted, I might get some criticism here on grail status but I really like the next two ..

Cgc 9.9 AMS 361 signature with eight covers... Always liked carnage and could not resist this book..

Mouse guard convention variant high grade... Loved the stories and art and the hunt to find this book was long and hard.... 9.6-9.8

Honorable mention tec 225 8.0 ... Love MM and he does not get enough respect.

Great lists..

Some real great lists on this thread.... Would really love a nice AF #15 ( jealous of the lists with these !

These are mine ...

AMS # 1 8.5 pacific coast.

Hulk #1 7.5 Kirby and lee sigs

JIM # 83 8.0

Now it gets dicy... I have some other nice silver but to pick 5 those remain unlisted, I might get some criticism here on grail status but I really like the next two ..

Cgc 9.9 AMS 361 signature with eight covers... Always liked carnage and could not resist this book..

Mouse guard convention variant high grade... Loved the stories and art and the hunt to find this book was long and hard.... 9.6-9.8

Honorable mention tec 225 8.0 ... Love MM and he does not get enough respect.

Wow Paul those are some incredible high grade books you got there. Especially that hulk 1 :cloud9:

Wayne-tec,

Agree 100% about the tec 33. Love the combination of content AND classic cover that this particular pre robin issue has over the other "cover only" pre robins tecs. Exclusive of 27 of course. (thumbs u

-J.

New to the forums and everyone's books sound a lot nicer than mine.

Amazing fantasy 15 cgc 3.0,

tos 39 SS stan lee 4.0,

TMNT 1 first print CGC 9.2,

Giant size xmen 1 SS stan lee cgc 6.5,

brave and the bold 28 cgc 1.0

Look to replacing one of them with a FF1 in the near future. But everyone else has some awesome books!

Awesome books!

Especially the three big ones: AF15, BB28 and TOS39.