• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is mycomicshop.com giving harsh grades?

16 posts in this topic

I disagreed with their grades a million time! Otherwise, I am happy to get rid of many unwanted books.

Do you think mycomicshop.com give the harsh grades?

I submitted few books with fewest stress marks that always ended up with VF.

Even one book has a one long crease on NM looking book that would consider FN but mycomicshop graded VG.

What do you think of mycomicshop.com grading system?

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Michael

I have made a few purchases from them. The first book was graded NM. Cgc gave it a 9.6 I also purchased a 9.2. I think this book has a shot at a 9.4. I think their grading is slightly conservative. I hope this doesn't change. I believe conservative grading will attract a lot more buyers.

Buying the books from mycomicshop is no problem but I am talking ABOUT SELLING MY BOOKS to mycomicshop. I graded the books conservatively but they gave too harsh grades on my books. They gave me little money after downgrading my books. Do you have same problems in past?

Buying the books from mycomicshop is no problem but I am talking ABOUT SELLING MY BOOKS to mycomicshop. I graded the books conservatively but they gave too harsh grades on my books. They gave me little money after downgrading my books. Do you have same problems in past?

If you want the books you buy from them to be conservatively graded you will have to accept conservative grades when you sell. Their grades stay the same throughout the process. So, they won't buy from you at VG and sell at FN.

No. It depends on the grader you get. I've sent books to them three times. I will get an occassional knock down, but for the most part, the grades come back right on to what I submitted or more lenient. How long have you been grading?

I think my grading is pretty good, but my opinion is they are a bit too harsh on books you sell to them. I remember a few that I had bought from them in a certain grade. When I sold them back after a few months of careful storage, the grades dropped quite a bit.

There have been many mycomicshop threads here on the boards and this is the first one (that I can remember) that has mentioned their grading as :o conservative. ???

The half a dozen GA books I bought from them were either spot on or conservatively graded IMO.

I have bought a few books from them and have seen a ton of their scans and I think they do fall on the slightly more conservative side, but not too far off from most typical tight graders. They probably want to keep a good reputation at being accurate, tight graders. All the books I have seen are either spot on or perhaps 1/2 grade conservative on occasion, which many of us buyers like. :)

Nothing like Gary Dolgoff under grading though! Lets cut a books grade down 1-2 levels but still charge double the guide of the lowered down grade so he can make himself look like a conservative grader and still get max money! I have not seen many threads on that, but I assume others have seen the same story I have.

I once tried to sell him some very tightly graded old label CGC key books, but they were just too loose of graders for him to pay me half of the guide. At first, he was going to pay me 1/2 guide based on his grading system until he found out they were CGC graded! Yeah, that makes sense. hm