• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B&W Horror mags - pesentation

6 posts in this topic

I posted this in general with no response...

I am going to be giving a presentation on the influence of Black and White Horror Mags./comics of the 60's- 80's at Phoenix Comicon in May (specifically Warren, Skywald, Eerie Publications, and even the Marvel/Curtis). I will be exploring their roll in bridging the gap between the horror comics of the 50's and many of today's comics. Is anyone aware of specific artist and writers of modern comics that list these works as their influence? If so, please let me know and point me to some sources that cite these influences. Also, does anyone know anyone that has investigated this connection? I have researched most of the published books - Warren Companion, EC Companion, Skywald Illustrated History, Weird World of Eerie, The Horror, The Horror, Ghastly Terror, and Horror Comics (Taylor). I am specifically looking for articles, journals, comic related periodicals, and such. If anyone can get me in touch directly with the artists or researchers (like Stephen Bissette I would love to hear his "Journey into Fear" lecture), that would be awesome!

Good idea, I'll see what I can do. - I have a title in the works but it may be too pg-13 for the con:

"Scary Bastards: the history and impact of black and white horror magazines of the 1960's and 1970's."

I like the "" label because I think that is a good description of how these books came about after the code - the illegtimate children of the pre-code books, and it describes how they were received by the "legitimate" comic community. Basically these books were treated like illegitimate children and in some ways still are.