• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supreme power a must have?!

57 posts in this topic

What's a "real book" that I should read? My current favorites, other than Supreme Power, are Y, 100 Bullets, Conan, Powers, and the new Swamp Thing.

What am I missing that will school me on the art of character development and intelligent comic writing? Seriously, if you know of some books that will change my perspective and make me realize that Supreme Power is utter [!@#%^&^], let me know what they are. Otherwise, STFU.

makepoint.gif

Those are all excellent selections... apparently, by the time you reach the "S'es" in the Marvel section your brain just strokes out.

"Supreme Power" sucks. Welcome to reality. We're, what, 9 issues in and we're still waiting for SOMETHING to happen?

This book is a Bendis book with words. Nothing happens for YEARS at a stretch and then... NOTHING HAPPENS. Nothing ever happens. It's just people standing around talking. There's no "real" conflict (all we've got is what's going on in Hyperion's head sleeping.gif ), there's no emotional investment in any of the characters, and the dialogue is weaker than OJ's alibi.

That is complete and total BS. You have clearly forgotten the most important scene in the whole series -- when Hyperion's fake dad bangs Hyperion's fake mom in the hallway closet. (Or was it the kitchen?) I don't remember because it was so damn long ago, but SOMETHING did HAPPEN.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif An excellent point. That was indeed "action." Well, that cinches it. I retract all my previous statements about what a creppy book "Supreme Power" is.

And I hereby retract that retraction. sumo.gifboo.gif

That is complete and total BS. You have clearly forgotten the most important scene in the whole series -- when Hyperion's fake dad bangs Hyperion's fake mom in the hallway closet. (Or was it the kitchen?) I don't remember because it was so damn long ago, but SOMETHING did HAPPEN.

I thought that was in the basement

Obviously you haven't read the last 2 issues, but whatever. You are not changing our minds, and we are not changing yours.

I've read the last two issues. They put me to sleep. I gave up after the last one that came out. If a storyline can't develop in 9 issues, then I must assume it is going nowhere.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I love Supreme Power, but then, I also love most of the Crossgen titles. Slow and steady build-up of characterization and story can be excellent if you give it a chance. Too many people are too impatient, and want slam-bang fight scenes each and every issue.

I love Supreme Power, but then, I also love most of the Crossgen titles. Slow and steady build-up of characterization and story can be excellent if you give it a chance. Too many people are too impatient, and want slam-bang fight scenes each and every issue.

I LOVE the Crossgens... I'm just saying, Hyperion is an intentionally dull and flat (it's the way he's SUPPOSED to be written, that's not just an opinion) character, so why they would waste nine issues on (virtually) him alone is beyond me.

Crossgens are great for slow-build excitement! I'm sorry to see them go. frown.gif893frustrated.gif

I LOVE the Crossgens... I'm just saying, Hyperion is an intentionally dull and flat (it's the way he's SUPPOSED to be written, that's not just an opinion) character, so why they would waste nine issues on (virtually) him alone is beyond me.

Crossgens are great for slow-build excitement! I'm sorry to see them go. frown.gif893frustrated.gif

That's it! The lightbulb just clicked on in my head. Supreme Power blows! It's absolutely the worst thing I've ever read!

insane.gif

That's it! The lightbulb just clicked on in my head. Supreme Power blows! It's absolutely the worst thing I've ever read!

insane.gif

Glad to hear it.

Hey, should I clear ALL my opinions with you before I voice them? Is there a form I should fill out?

I don't know, everyone has their opinions of course, but i made it to issue 5 or six and couldn't go any longer. Not saying you can't like it ir that it hasn't picked up speed, it just didn't do it for me anymore. frown.gif

I don't know, everyone has their opinions of course, but i made it to issue 5 or six and couldn't go any longer. Not saying you can't like it ir that it hasn't picked up speed, it just didn't do it for me anymore. frown.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif A voice of reason! thumbsup2.gif

Supreme Power is about the origins of the Squadron Supreme.

If you want to read a good story is the Squadron Supreme Maxi-Series.

The issues are pretty cheap or get the trade paperback.

Art needed work but the story is great. 893blahblah.gif

Supreme Power is about the origins of the Squadron Supreme.

If you want to read a good story is the Squadron Supreme Maxi-Series.

The issues are pretty cheap or get the trade paperback.

Art needed work but the story is great. 893blahblah.gif

I've got it... it left me rather cold as well. I'd go into why, but why open yet ANOTHER can of worms? wink.gif

I'd go into why, but why open yet ANOTHER can of worms?

That doesn't usually stop you. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif I was thinking the same thing.

Man, that dialogue was [!@#%^&^] terrible. I've read better on "Buffy" fan fiction sites.

But at least they were able to establish a full set of characters and tell a story in twelve issues... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd go into why, but why open yet ANOTHER can of worms?

That doesn't usually stop you. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif I was thinking the same thing.

Man, that dialogue was [!@#%^&^] terrible. I've read better on "Buffy" fan fiction sites.

But at least they were able to establish a full set of characters and tell a story in twelve issues... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What are you doing reading Buffy fan fiction sites? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif