• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?

Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?

79 posts in this topic

I use Gavelsnipe now (I used to use bidnip) b/c it's free while bidnip is not. Plus Gavelsnipe can be used for eBay, Heritage and now also for ComicLink!! Finally, they've added a utility that will create a pop-up from any eBay auction page and you can enter your snipe directly on that page without having to go to Gavelsnipe site itself :cloud9:

Mind Blown.

gonna try this one out for CL or Heritage

As to Heritage auctions - does this only work on the Sunday Auctions where the end time is fixed, or can it be used in Heritage "Signature" auctions?

Can't say. I've never bought a book from Heritage and the Comiclink announcement just came out last week.

Bidnip rules. Any other way of bidding on eBay costs you money.

Snipers Assemble! (thumbs u

Yup. Bidnip rules. (thumbs u

Only lost one auction with it so far out of over a hundred. I had Bidnapper, but kept losing. I think I still have twenty snipes still with that service. hm

How do you know you're paying less by using snipe software?

Because your high bid isn't sitting there letting people get into a bidding war with it to drive the price higher.

The max you're willing to pay goes in at the last second. There is nothing to compete with on your part. If it's higher than everyone else, you win for one increment over the second highest bid. If not, you gave it your best shot and didn't get into a bidding war and going over your max bid just in the hopes that you might get it with just...one...more...bid...

Let's pretend that you're at a live estate auction. You and another guy are bidding. You bid, he bids, you bid, he bids, etc, driving the price up.

Let's say that the rules of the auction are now changed. A couple of people bid on an auction, dinking the price a little, then the auctioneer gets stuck on a price and calls "going once, going twice..." and just before he hits the hammer on the table, you give a bid one increment over the high bid and the auctioneer refuses to let anyone else try to beat your bid.

That's what sniping does. It bids and doesn't allow anyone a chance to outbid you.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you save money by doing it this way. Take advantage of the flaw in the online auction format.

Because your high bid isn't sitting there letting people get into a bidding war with it to drive the price higher.

The max you're willing to pay goes in at the last second. There is nothing to compete with on your part. If it's higher than everyone else, you win for one increment over the second highest bid. If not, you gave it your best shot and didn't get into a bidding war and going over your max bid just in the hopes that you might get it with just...one...more...bid...

Let's pretend that you're at a live estate auction. You and another guy are bidding. You bid, he bids, you bid, he bids, etc, driving the price up.

Let's say that the rules of the auction are now changed. A couple of people bid on an auction, dinking the price a little, then the auctioneer gets stuck on a price and calls "going once, going twice..." and just before he hits the hammer on the table, you give a bid one increment over the high bid and the auctioneer refuses to let anyone else try to beat your bid.

That's what sniping does. It bids and doesn't allow anyone a chance to outbid you.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you save money by doing it this way. Take advantage of the flaw in the online auction format.

It's all theoretical, not empirical. Is there any way to truly compare?

You can certainly track trends in bidding when you put in an early max bid versus sniping.

You can certainly track trends in bidding when you put in an early max bid versus sniping.

I guess I'll do that when I get interested enough to spend that much time on it.

My view on it is that if you establish a maximum amount you are willing to bid and you wait until the last minute, you lose absolutely nothing over placing that exact same bid days before the auction is over. However, if you place the bid earlier, you present the opportunity for someone to bid you up by giving them time to make repeated bids against your maximum. Bidding early may cost you nothing if no one bids you up, but sniping will never cost you money from bidding you up because no one has time to do it.

I havn't read this whole thread, but I do buy on ebay, and yes.... I snipe all the time. My last...highest bid is always a bid with under 10 seconds left to go. If I get it .... I win.... If I don't... I don't. Its as simple as that. I watch all the auctions I'm interested in right down to the fininsh.