• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?

Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Use Snipe Software When Bidding on eBay?

79 posts in this topic

If so, what software do you use? Pros and cons?

No, I just put in my max bid. I don't see how sniping software would help if I'm not willing to go any higher than that bid (shrug)

If so, what software do you use? Pros and cons?

No, I just put in my max bid. I don't see how sniping software would help if I'm not willing to go any higher than that bid (shrug)

+1...this, and good ol' fashioned patience works for me...

Psyched! We haven't had a sniping vs. anti-sniping thread in a while. I often find them entertaining; the arguments raised are among the silliest of the Boards. An maybe because they are less frequent, I prefer them to other recurrent squabbles.

Psyched! We haven't had a sniping vs. anti-sniping thread in a while. I often find them entertaining; the arguments raised are among the silliest of the Boards. An maybe because they are less frequent, I prefer them to other recurrent squabbles.

I'm not trying to start a sniping flame war. I'm really just curious to get a cross-section of how many people are using it, and what their experiences are with regard to the various software platforms or services that are available.

For what it's worth, I used to be against it. But as an eBay seller, it's all too obvious that most of the bids are coming in through snipe software (usually within the last few seconds of the auction). As an eBay buyer, I've been getting outbid in the last few seconds more and more, so I decided to try it.

I have only used BayGenie, so I can't compare it to anything else. It was recommended by CNET. I like the interface, although it could be improved. I also like the generic ability to be able to walk away from the computer and get other things done.

Personally, I think Snipe software has lowered overall auction prices, and that's not a good thing for sellers. I wish auctions worked differently, but IMHO it seems I have to adapt or I'm going to lose more and more of the auctions in which I participate.

good thing is you can tell it to watch multiple auctions and set a max price. so effectively bid on many, but only worry about winning one.

i tried it a few times, but never used it successfully. I'm pretty opportunistic on eBay though and rarely go after something in particular, so I just use max bid.

Bidnip works well for me. The final price paid is almost always lower if you snipe it instead of allowing people to creep up on your bid.

I just signed up. I'm out of town when an upcoming 'particular' auction ends, so something like this is a win-win in my book. Thanks for the hat-tip Jeff ...

M.

I use sniping 100% of the time. It eliminates the chance somone will bid me up, and I am also almost never available near the end of the auction.

I use to collect alot of sports cards, before giving them up for comics, and I saved alot of money when I started using sniping.

Bidnip works well for me. The final price paid is almost always lower if you snipe it instead of allowing people to creep up on your bid.

This is the single and only reason that every one should use a sniping service. There is absolutely no reason why you should reveal your bid (level or existence) before the absolute last time allowable. Any bid will bump up your own and might entice another bidder to re-evaluate their estimate and bid higher.

I use Gavelsnipe now (I used to use bidnip) b/c it's free while bidnip is not. Plus Gavelsnipe can be used for eBay, Heritage and now also for ComicLink!! Finally, they've added a utility that will create a pop-up from any eBay auction page and you can enter your snipe directly on that page without having to go to Gavelsnipe site itself :cloud9:

All of my snipes have been executed without fault. Same with bidnip. They always were executed.

hm Looks interesting

+1

Never used any but I'm taking down notes....

This is the single and only reason that every one should use a sniping service. There is absolutely no reason why you should reveal your bid (level or existence) before the absolute last time allowable. Any bid will bump up your own and might entice another bidder to re-evaluate their estimate and bid higher.

I use Gavelsnipe now (I used to use bidnip) b/c it's free while bidnip is not. Plus Gavelsnipe can be used for eBay, Heritage and now also for ComicLink!! Finally, they've added a utility that will create a pop-up from any eBay auction page and you can enter your snipe directly on that page without having to go to Gavelsnipe site itself :cloud9:

All of my snipes have been executed without fault. Same with bidnip. They always were executed.

As to Heritage auctions - does this only work on the Sunday Auctions where the end time is fixed, or can it be used in Heritage "Signature" auctions?