• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO VANCOUVER™ launches April 21-22 2012 at the Vancouver Convention Centre

78 posts in this topic

Any bigger dealers? How were the books?
Harley Yee

Usual for Vancouver except Harley

Buy anything?

Did I ask if there are any pics? :P

Yes

Yes, you asked.

Got there about 2, saw a big line-up, but didn't want to wait. So we lingered outside for a bit then went shopping & for a nice dinner downtown. Will buy tickets in advance next year. How was the show Greg?

Even if you bought your tix in advance, you may still need to wait 1 hr to get your wristband or hand-stamped due to crowd control by 2 pm. Seattle had the same problem for April 1/12 Emerald comicon with mega-long lineups to pick up a badge even though you prepaid online. Should be less crowded for easier :whee: entry Sunday to Harley.

Show OK for getting sketches and sigs from artist/inkers/writers. Not that great for buying published original comic art averaging $225 to $400 per page. 1 dealer from Toronto(?) area had inventory similiar to Bud Plant art books. <3

Got there about 2, saw a big line-up, but didn't want to wait. So we lingered outside for a bit then went shopping & for a nice dinner downtown. Will buy tickets in advance next year. How was the show Greg?
Shopping wise, other than Harley and a few Ontario dealers selling mostly newer stuff and TPBs on their way to Calgary next week, the dealers were the same old from the local krappy shows.

However, they all appeared to do well based on my conversations with them so maybe the word will get out and more new dealers will show up in the future.

A few pics from Sunday Apr 22/12. Attendance for Sat. reported as 13k and close to 10k for Sunday, as the line up to buy tix was capped at 900 Sat. around 2 pm.

1966 tv Batmobile. There was a more recent Dark Knight Batmobile that just happened to be in Vancouver earlier this week to promote donations to local hospital. Separate event from Fan Expo.

IMG_17971.jpg

Nice watercolors by Esad Ribic. Single headshot watercolor started at $100. Most of these paintings were $500:

IMG_18031.jpg

Obligatory cute Supergirl pic with Darth Vader. Lots of Stormtroopers, cosplay, and a Princess Leia walking around.

IMG_18111.jpg

Booth babe trying to read greggy's impure thoughts:

IMG_18141.jpg

Some of eegabeeva's wall stock. He specializes in Disney on eBay:

IMG_18161.jpg

Most expensive OA at Fan Expo. Unpublished ASM vs Batman by Todd during his peak period 20 years ago. Estimated value $40k:

IMG_18171.jpg

My interesting purchases last 2 days: Sherlock Holmes h/c 1905 but no dust jacket, and classic cover Archie # 50 from a dealer with fresh inventory that greggy told me to scout out next to the women's washroom. Thanks greggy!

IMG_18181.jpg

i went for one day it was good line ups were nice & orderly... I duno none of the dealers really seemed to know what they had with them or who any of the guests at the actual con were even if a comic guest was right beside them ... If they did know the books I was asking for the only ones they knew were the ones they knew they didn't have or had back at the shop :S

you can preorder but you still got to wait in lines to get the tickets :S

Oh while I was at the con I took a bathroom break & someone called security on me lol(shrug) I guess i used a bathroom that was for staff only or some such even though there was no sign or nothing blocking the way in thought that was kind of funny lol

Thank you Vancouver! ... Lots to build on for 2013!

I recommend Hobbystar have a link on their Fan Expo website to solicit recommendations from the 1st year Vancouver con like Emerald City, Seattle comicon does. This will help grow the convention for 2013 to 30k people. Lots of good word of mouth advertising and positive :busy: buzz in Vancouver after this weekend even though the Canucks lost the series.