• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE CAPTAIN MARVEL CLUB

31 posts in this topic

Did anyone besides me send away for any of the "swell items" offered by Fawcett Publications?

Like the CAPTAIN MARVEL HAT for 25 cents, The CAPTAIN MARVEL BUZZ BOMB for 10 cents

the CAPTAIN MARVEL "Lifelike, imitation-wood statuette for 50 cents or one of the many other

"items" offered in most of the Fawcett publications. You ever received a "dandy CAPTAIN

MARVEL Pencil Holder" free with any order. I remember my "brightly colored, attractive CAPTAIN

MARVEL Pennant" hanging on my wall for years...and it only cost a dime!

mm

Did anyone besides me send away for any of the "swell items" offered by Fawcett Publications?

Like the CAPTAIN MARVEL HAT for 25 cents, The CAPTAIN MARVEL BUZZ BOMB for 10 cents

the CAPTAIN MARVEL "Lifelike, imitation-wood statuette for 50 cents or one of the many other

"items" offered in most of the Fawcett publications. You ever received a "dandy CAPTAIN

MARVEL Pencil Holder" free with any order. I remember my "brightly colored, attractive CAPTAIN

mm

Pity they didn't do a CAPTAIN MARVEL spelling book. :(

mm

Do you have pics of these items?

I'll have to dig up the actual items...I know the CAPTAIN MARVEL Club Button is with my

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT Decoder Badges...but as far as the HAT and PENNANT I'll have to

do some hunting and then try to take some pictures..."Stay Tuned".

mm

The story behind the CAPTAIN MARVEL CLUB is that with the lawsuit between DC and

FAWCETT Publications no one would merchandise the products so they had to try and

do it within the Comic Books themselves...thus making the items fairly rare.

Plus there was a time when CAPTAIN MARVEL was so popular, the comic came out every

third week.

mm

Plus there was a time when CAPTAIN MARVEL was so popular, the comic came out every

third week.

mm

Yup. Captain Marvel outsold Superman 2 to 1 in the 1940's.

I felt the DC law suit ruling was unfair and who knows that the hobby would look like today if Fawcett had won.

I love Captain Marvel.

third week.

mm

Yup. Captain Marvel outsold Superman 2 to 1 in the 1940's.

I felt the DC law suit ruling was unfair and who knows that the hobby would look like today if Fawcett had won.

I love Captain Marvel.

I always had a sneaking suspicion DC has not made a Captain Marvel movie because it would outgross a Superman movie. Why that sounds so ludicrous you say?

No not really if you figure that since Captain Marvel and Superman are so similar that having two giant movie blockbusters of each would canibilize each other at the box office. So I think DC fears this and there will never be a Captain Marvel movie made by them. The mainstream movie world in the next ten years will know of only one Captain Marvel. His movie will be made first.

detail.jpg

I think DC's more worried it WOULDN'T out gross Superman.

They'd make a movie of Ambush Bug if they thought it'd out gross Superman.

:cloud9: :cloud9: Cheeks the Toywonder makes it to the big screen..

I would pay to see that..as long as they did NOT cast Ryan Reynolds in it..

I remember growing up in the 70s watching the Shazam TV show on Saturday mornings. The thought of saying one word and -- thunderclap -- you're instantly a superhero with the general power to kick and fly, well, that was pretty damn cool.

When DC re-launched the character in 1973 or and since that time, it seems that DC has intentionally done little to assign top writer-artist pairings for the character to give it the marquis status it deserves.

There is a 20-minute or so DC Comics animated feature that came out about a year ago (I forgot the title, but you can get it on Amazon (or watch it a portion of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PHnQPcirks&feature=related)) in which Captain Marvel pairs up with Superman to fight Black Adam. My 6-year-old son watched it with me and afterwards I asked him which superhero he like better -- Superman or Captain Marvel. Without hesitation he said Captain Marvel because of the "Shazam!" thing.

I remember growing up in the 70s watching the Shazam TV show on Saturday mornings. The thought of saying one word and -- thunderclap -- you're instantly a superhero with the general power to kick and fly, well, that was pretty damn cool.

When DC re-launched the character in 1973 or and since that time, it seems that DC has intentionally done little to assign top writer-artist pairings for the character to give it the marquis status it deserves.

There is a 20-minute or so DC Comics animated feature that came out about a year ago (I forgot the title, but you can get it on Amazon (or watch it a portion of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PHnQPcirks&feature=related)) in which Captain Marvel pairs up with Superman to fight Black Adam. My 6-year-old son watched it with me and afterwards I asked him which superhero he like better -- Superman or Captain Marvel. Without hesitation he said Captain Marvel because of the "Shazam!" thing.

That`s what my son did as well. He said Captain Marvel was cooler than Superman.

You see my point? DC knows Captain Marvel would make Superman seem less super at the box office. DC doesn`t want to canibilize their 1 billion dollar Superman business. It`s like there can be only one kind of Batman character, thats why we will never see a Wildcat movie.

That`s what my son did as well. He said Captain Marvel was cooler than Superman.

You see my point? DC knows Captain Marvel would make Superman seem less super at the box office. DC doesn`t want to canibilize their 1 billion dollar Superman business. It like there can be only one kind of Batman character, thats why we will never see a Wildcat movie.

Jeff Smith (Bone) did a Shazam series a couple of years ago without much success. He's a pretty well known and respected creator in the business.

Setting aside the highly scientific study you did with your kid for this theory, what else would make you think that DC would NOT want to make a successful movie of this if they could?

I would think that if anything hurt their Superman business, it would've been that stupid Superman MOVIE they did.

It just doesn't seem to make sense to me that they would turn down a chance to make a successful movie to protect a franchise that really (as far as comics and movies) isn't even their #1 selling character.

And haven't they lost the rights to certain aspects of Superman's story?

Now would be the perfect time to find a better selling version of him.