• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Turnaround times, giving me hesitation

52 posts in this topic

So, I was thinking of using today to take the time to put together an order of 30 Moderns for submission to CGC, and maybe a small order of five Economy books. I checked the turnaround times as of a few days ago on 5-11-04.

Economy shipping books received on 1-5-04 - that's OVER FOUR months

Modern shipping books received on 2-20-04 - that's ALMOST THREE months

I just can't do it. I cannot spend the time putting an order together, and then either writing a check or using my credit card and paying for this service with that kind of turnaround time. If I was dealing with high end books I could pay for a faster service, but these are books with OS FMV between $30 - $250.

I realize that CGC is flooded with books and is so slow right now because of demand. I understand. I realize that a few new guys are being trained so that hopefully the service can speed up in the future. But right now things seem to have even slowed down from the last time I looked. I just can't do it. Sure, someday when the turnaround speeds up (IF they speed up) I'll send my books in, but I would send many more in, and more frequently had the turnaround been faster. At this pace I will eventually just send in my very best high grade candidates, otherwise I would have shipped my second tier books as well, as I count on a reasonable turnaround to sell my inventory on Ebay.

I feel like I am stuck. I know many of you guys are in the same place. I no longer use CGG so that is no longer an option for me. It is CGC or nothing. So nothing it is for the time being. Unfortunately 893frustrated.gif . Good luck CGC team, you are doing great in all aspects by me except for your speed of service, but ya' gotta admit, that is a pretty big aspect of the whole deal. -------Sid

I received an economy submission back today that was received by CGC on 1/15.

A little faster than the turn around time shown, but not much.

Congrats, EXACTLY four months for you.

Econ doesn't bother me too much.

It sucks, but not as much as standard.

$49 for 15 day grading that takes a month and a half. Now that sucks.

I received my Economy today that was from 01/26. blush.gif

I feel bad now....

Express service said 5 business days, they shipped out on the sixth business day.

I have a bunch of books in under modern, but they just got there 8 - 9 days ago...so I am not worried for another three months or so.

Now, the books you guys are talking about are books you plan on selling...right? Becasue for me...these are my personal books, so I am in no hurry to get the back, it isn't like I'm waiting to read them or something. So I guess it only makes a difference to people that are turning around and selling them, right? Or am I wrong thinking that?

I've always wondered why someone has to "manually" update the web statistics--since all of this information is in their database. I think it would take a computer programmer less than a week to build a program that would ACCURATELY give current shipping statistics. confused-smiley-013.gif

BassGMan, another option would be to use the pregrade option. From what I see, they quickly determine if the books make the grade, and then move it along the grading process since there's so many books. And--the best part--they only bill when the books go out the door thumbsup2.gif This is the only route I'm going--I have literally thousands lining up here to take the plunge.

So I guess it only makes a difference to people that are turning around and selling them, right? Or am I wrong thinking that?

Yes and no. The complaint, other than folks feel homesick with their books far from home, is the fact that payment is due up front while you wait. Add to that the fact that many do in fact plan to sell increases 1. their money being tied up and 2. their turnaround time for selling the books, thereby affecting cash flow that could impact business operations.

For many books where the margin is slim (like new modern books), this is even more discerning. Older books with bigger margins can usually afford the quicker service.

I would think that you are entitled to a partial refund for that. When one level of service (Standard - 15 days) reaches closer to the next level of service (Economy - 40 days) then you should be charged the appropriate fee. A month and a half is 45 days or about 6.5 weeks, subtract weekends (13 days) and you have 32 business days. 32 is alot closer to 40 than 15. I think you are entitled to at least a 50% difference between the Economy and Standard fees with some kind of adjustment for FMV differences. Or at LEAST a few Standard free slab credits in the future. That would be good business and that would show concern for you as a valued customer. I don't know what CGC's policy is on this, but I hope they have one. -----Sid

I've always wondered why someone has to "manually" update the web statistics--since all of this information is in their database. I think it would take a computer programmer less than a week to build a program that would ACCURATELY give current shipping statistics. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was kinda wondering the same. Why they only update it once (sometimes longer mad.gif) a week. How difficult can it be to update daily confused-smiley-013.gif

I was kinda wondering the same. Why they only update it once (sometimes longer mad.gif) a week. How difficult can it be to update daily confused-smiley-013.gif

Not even that, how about AUTOMATICALLY--all they would have to do is query the latest package they shipped under a given service--and generate the web page automatically with ASP/PHP or whatever. Not a big deal.

Would it make sense to anybody that they should only charge people's credit cards or cash checks once comics have beern graded? A lot of companies (like Amazon I think) doesn't charge your card until the item is shipped. Any reason CGC doesn't do this?

I would think that you are entitled to a partial refund for that. When one level of service (Standard - 15 days) reaches closer to the next level of service (Economy - 40 days) then you should be charged the appropriate fee. A month and a half is 45 days or about 6.5 weeks, subtract weekends (13 days) and you have 32 business days. 32 is alot closer to 40 than 15. I think you are entitled to at least a 50% difference between the Economy and Standard fees with some kind of adjustment for FMV differences. Or at LEAST a few Standard free slab credits in the future. That would be good business and that would show concern for you as a valued customer. I don't know what CGC's policy is on this, but I hope they have one. -----Sid

Sid, I agree 100% with this, and with your initial post and have also asked the exact same question....ie shouldn't I get a coupon for a free grading or SOMETHING when I spend close to $500 to have a dozen books graded STANDARD and basically receive ECONOMY service. I asked that very question. No answer of course. I am sitting on a stack of books I'd love to send in. But I'm not spending that money for what amounts to Economy service. And waiting four months for them to grade my books for ANY amount of money is absurd.

I'll say it again, I like CGCs product a lot. But they should rename their actual ECONOMY service and call it something like Trans-Siberian Service or how 'bout KISS-YOUR-BOOKS-GOODBYE-FOR-FOUR-MONTHS Service. That does have a ring to it, doesn't it?

Dice, look out the window.....it's friggin' MAY! There is something wrong with paying for that kind of slow service! Nothing wrong with you, my man. It's........THEM!

3778.jpg

Nice Avatar! thumbsup2.gif

many thanks...I worked on that one last night. A little blurring of the background for depth, a little forced perspective by hanging the arm out of the box...plus, it was a damn fine book / story line.

Their turn times suck but if it's any consolation I think that they are catching up. I just received an econ sub today that they received on January 26th, so their website is incorrect by about 3 weeks.

Looks like other than Certified Collectibles Group, most all other grading companies offer some type of guarantee when stated turnaround times are exceeded. Some examples....

PSA - PSA guarantees the turnaround times for clearly marked packages. The turnaround guarantee assures you that PSA will have grades available in the specified number of business days following the day our receiving department processes your order. The number of days it takes for any delivery agency (U.S. Mail) to return graded cards to the submitter is not included in the number of days allotted to PSA’s turnaround guarantees. If PSA fails to meet the turnaround guarantees on paid submissions, you will receive a grading voucher good for a like number of submissions; this excludes grading specials and complimentary submissions. Guarantees are invalid during the weeks of major cards shows that PSA attends.

Beckett - Late? Orders free.

PCGS - PCGS's turnaround guarantee assures you that PCGS will have grades available in the number of business days specified. For example, for Walkthrough (2 day), Special Express (7 day), Regular (15 day), PCGS will have grades available the following number of days after the day we receive your order. The number of days it takes for the delivery agency (U.S. Registered Mail) to return graded coins to the submitter is not included in the number of days allotted to PCGS's turnaround guarantee. Note: Available services and turnaround times are subject to change. Days during which PCGS is attending a show or hosting a dealer invitational are not considered business days for the purpose of calculating guaranteed turnaround times.

Guarantee Turnaround Policy

As of March 2004, PCGS's guarantee turnaround policy will be one like submission for each day late, up to the total number of coins submitted.

Jim

I would think that you are entitled to a partial refund for that.

Sid,

CGC does not guarantee turnaround times. No dice on that, my friend.

They don't even guarantee the grade, do they?