• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

shrunken heads cover (shrug):roflmao:

custom set :wishluck:

Pre-code horror books always get the 'shrunken head cover' designation when they show up. You've gotta look hard on Jumbo 113 to find them.

I think you can consider the 103 as being a particularly exemplary example of proper colors on a FH comic. (thumbs u

That certificate background image is of the Okajima Subby 32 that was one of the first that Alan Bahr sold.

A friend of mine got a heads up that Alan was bringing a select set of books to the SD Con that were from a newly discovered collection that included some very high grade and attractive Atomic Age comics. There was no name to the collection and I labelled them as "Bahr" until I heard the Okajima name associated with them. My friend reserved one book for himself and arranged for us to meet Alan the next day at the Con.

Alan only brought what he could fit into a briefcase but it was it was quite an impressive display of Fox GGA, Schomburg airbrush and a Subby 32. I was able to purchase the Subby and a few other books -- all cost me top dollar as he took offers on the books from several collectors. I missed out on the PL 23, which still resides with it's original purchaser.

The Subby was one of Alan's favorite books from the collection so I had to promise to send him a color photo copy. That was not so easy to do at that time as I had to find a copy shop willing to copy a comic (many had explicit policies against that due to copyright infringement concerns) and they had to let me handle the books.

I eventually found one and actually made copies of a number of the nice books in my collection. I always worked with the same employee at the copy shop and he seemed to get a kick out of helping out because of seeing the cool old comic books. I still have a few binders with the copies but have been very happy with the march of progress that enables me to scan books for myself.

That Subby went in a trade years later and has made it round the Boards. It now resides in an 8.5 slab and seems to have found a happy home.

Jumbo 104 and certificate

Jumbo104.jpg

Jumbo104cert.jpg

Having owned the Subby#32 [sold it to Podboy who is the current owner] and many other copies over the years [i still own 2] the Okajima is head and shoulders above the rest. I'm going to have to twist Vern's arm one day to see if he will sell it back to me. That cert is just fantastic.

shrunken heads cover (shrug):roflmao:

custom set :wishluck:

Pre-code horror books always get the 'shrunken head cover' designation when they show up. You've gotta look hard on Jumbo 113 to find them.

One the pre-code collectors on the Boards when I first joined had "shrunkenhead" as his avatar. He collected shrunkenhead comics and knew a thing or the real thing.

Red Rock: the colors on the word "Jumbo" in your scan look blue rather than black. Is that just a quirk of the scanner or is that the true color of the comic?

Both are beautiful copies and, like most copies I've seen of that issue, have nice colors.

lol The CGC boardies swap more books around. Sometimes I post a book and then everyone has to say when they owned it.

That's very cool about the subbies and the Okajima pedigree. I have a number of beautiful Okajima copies. For the Jumbos and Jungles, though, the PQ is very nice but the later issues have a lot of damage to them so they grades are only moderate. I've passed a few of them on to skypinkblue.

The books were definitely read so there are many mid-grade copies. The background story is hard to beat, especially the fact that there are a number of anti-Japanese WWII propaganda covers.

Red Rock: the colors on the word "Jumbo" in your scan look blue rather than black. Is that just a quirk of the scanner or is that the true color of the comic?

Both are beautiful copies and, like most copies I've seen of that issue, have nice colors.

It is the true color of the color. Compare the word 'Jumbo' to the black on the CGC blue label. In hand, if you look closely it is definitely a very dark blue when compared to the black writing on the book right next to it.

Maybe we have discovered the first dark blue 'Jumbo' cover? I for one can not imagine a more vibrant book than mine, it is really popping at you in hand!

I was pretty bummed when it came back only 9.0. Maybe cgc is reluctant to overturn a mile high as top graded?

You can also see on both copies it is definitely dark blue because of the black line is separated from the blue on her arm where it goes through the word jumbo.

It is the true color of the color. Compare the word 'Jumbo' to the black on the CGC blue label. In hand, if you look closely it is definitely a very dark blue when compared to the black writing on the book right next to it.

Maybe we have discovered the first dark blue 'Jumbo' cover? I for one can not imagine a more vibrant book than mine, it is really popping at you in hand!

I was pretty bummed when it came back only 9.0. Maybe cgc is reluctant to overturn a mile high as top graded?

You definitely have a cool copy.

CGC quite happily grades books as better than a Church when they believe that to be the case. I would suggest you call CGC and ask for notes. They just need the number of the slab and they can look up to see if they noted any specific defects.

While CGC is not always consistent, I would be willing to bet there is a small, not easily observable defect that they are considering when grading it a 9.0.

I really like your slogan on your line adam!

Cheetah, I'm blown away by your thread, its amazing!

Both the 95 and 117 scans are off a dealers website so the scan is different from my 118. They all come from the same collection. I didnt buy the 95 and 117 when I had a chance but I really liked their colors. I would bet the 95 would be a 9.2 at least and top census.

What really gets me excited about comics is when you have one where the colors really 'pop.' They look like jewelry to me. Its amazing when you can have one 9.4 that is dull but another 9.4 that really pops and its like 'wow.'