• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winnipeg Pedigree Original Listings: Spidey, Avengers, FF, X-Men

59 posts in this topic

"When I finally get these books graded (which will be soon), There will be many, many high grades and I will be selling most of these. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Tripps, are there any early Daredevils in this collection that you will be selling?

Donut,

Can you remember who you got the Winnipeg FF 158 -160 9.8s from. I had the whole run from appx 124 up and I'm curious who beat me to these books. Thank you.

Doug.

Sorry Doug, the person you are referring to has already been absorbed into the "I Beat Captain Tripps to Some Books He Wanted" Collector Protection Program for their own safety. They and their family have been relocated and given new identities. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wolf,

No DDs. I remember that the 3 was killer (I think it slabbed a 9.4) but I sold/traded it appx 3 years ago. I don't know where the other early DDs are.

The Winnipegs and Bloomfields that I have left (literally thousands) are 70's and 80's books, with some late, late 60's (Winnipeg Nick Furys). I'm going to get these graded real soon and then sell most, if not all of them. They should get some high grades because both original owners were very picky and handled their books with care (like the Oakand oo).

Hook,

I don't know what's better, your sense of humor or your thirst for early Avengers.

Honestly, that post about spending Julia's college tuition, etc was outstanding. I was losing it!!

Doug.

Thanks Doug,

As it turned out....I made Julia's concert and we had a great dinner together. Thanks for a wonderful visit....I made it to Brooklyn with 10 minutes to spare! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hey,

Are there multiple copies of some of the 15 cent Marvels from this collection?I just picked up a few copies of Avengers that came with certificates but are they all one of a kinds? Don't have the numbers in front of me but they were hi-80s and early 90s but not 93.

With the recent bump, I re-read this thread, and realized that several of the Winnipeg Marvel runs from the original listing were never posted. So, here are a few more, all taken from the Showcase New England catalog, Winter 1997. If anyone knows about the slabbing or whereabouts of the JIM 89 (graded by SNE as NM+), please let me know:

Tales of Suspense

702153-TOS.jpg

Strange Tales

702153-STlist.jpg

Journey Into Mystery

702153-jimlist.jpg

702153-jimlist.jpg.6fbe9703849937e5531e9281b526d4cc.jpg

Any idea who owns either or both of the two copies of TOS#52? cloud9.gif

With the recent bump, I re-read this thread, and realized that several of the Winnipeg Marvel runs from the original listing were never posted. So, here are a few more, all taken from the Showcase New England catalog, Winter 1997. If anyone knows about the slabbing or whereabouts of the JIM 89 (graded by SNE as NM+), please let me know:

Tales of Suspense

702153-TOS.jpg

SNE overgraded many of these books so badly it was unbelievable, which is probably why I still have a low opinion of the Winnipegs and why I'm amazed when I see Winnipegs that actually did grade high.

I bought the TOS 58 (listed as NM+95 in the catalog below), TOS 59 (NM+96) and ST 110 (NM 91). Also purchased a B&B 34, not shown in the ad below but listed as a NM of some sort, I think. They came back from CGC as a 9.0, 7.5(!), 8.0 and 8.0, respectively.

I recall receiving the raw books and being disappointed in them, but stupidly talked myself out of returning them because "they're big dealers so they must know how to grade and I'm just being too picky". frustrated.gif I was pleased in a sick pathetic way when I got the grades back from CGC and was proved right.

SNE overgraded many of these books so badly it was unbelievable, which is probably why I still have a low opinion of the Winnipegs and why I'm amazed when I see Winnipegs that actually did grade high.

I bought the TOS 58 (listed as NM+95 in the catalog below), TOS 59 (NM+96) and ST 110 (NM 91). Also purchased a B&B 34, not shown in the ad below but listed as a NM of some sort, I think. They came back from CGC as a 9.0, 7.5(!), 8.0 and 8.0, respectively.

Sorry to hear that some of the Winnies were disappointing, but not all that surprised. Based on their age, I suspect the four books you mentioned all had the cover writing - it is my impression that CGC will deduct one grade unit (i.e., from NM+ to NM) for this defect alone. There is also no doubting that SNE grading can be very fast and loose, and I suspect that most everyone who has made repeat purchases from them has come away disappointed at least once. Still, if you have good scans to consider before buying, I think you can sometimes make out OK on raw purchases from them, as I have been fortunate to do on two occasions.

I guess it is with the mid-to-late Silver and Bronze material that the Winnipeg pedigree really shines.

I suspect the four books you mentioned all had the cover writing - it is my impression that CGC will deduct one grade unit (i.e., from NM+ to NM) for this defect alone.

I expect you're likely to be right about them downgrading a NM+ to a NM, but don't you think they'd cut that off around the NM level? I can't see them downgrading an 8.5 to an 8.0...I think they only downgrade for obtrusive writing at the nosebleed grade levels.