• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My visit to the local comic shop......with pick-ups !

34 posts in this topic

Could some of you fine gentlemen (and others) tell me the particulars of doing the ASM silver age run. toughies etc.....

Honestly, none are particularily tough other than price. If you had an unlimited

budget you could probably buy the entire run from 1 to 200 at any major show.

I believe #28 is relatively tough in high grade thanks to the black cover.

If you check the CGC census you can get an idea as to how many copies have

been graded for each issue.

The best thing about collecting ASM is that it's so readily available. You can assemble it as quickly as you want (assuming you have the money) or just bide your time.

There are some titles that don't allow you to do this. A certain copy appears and you have to jump on it because another one may not come up for quite awhile. You don't have that problem with Spideys. You miss one in the marketplace, no big deal. Another one will take it's place tomorrow and the next day and the next day.

It's also the easiest title to unload.

Glad to see you already have a focus/goal. That would be my main word of advice to any new collector, find your focus. Otherwise you may be aqcuring books you later have no desire for. I know from experience. :gossip:

ASM is a great focus because everyone loves them and they can easily be bought and sold.

If your budget is not limited, then it should take a couple of hours on the net to fill a low - mid grade ASM #1-100 run including AF #15.

FWIW, check out Superworld Comics right now as they have their annual Xmas/New Year sale on now and should have a bunch of those ASMs in that grade range for you.

ASM 1 - 100 is a great goal. I might suggest including 121, 122, 129 and AF 15 as well...

I would start by buying the keys first and then filling in the gaps afterwards. ASMs are resaleable in any grade, but you should be mindful of FMV when making your purchases.

Best of luck! Come check out the SA thread...

Thanks for all the advice guys.

There are several ways I was thinking of going about this............

Since I have a few Bronze Spidey's in high grade holders I was going to build 1-100 raw(with possibly the exception of the first ten or so because of value). Then when I get to 100, just keep on going except in holders. Or I could continue on raw and get the keys in holders.

Or who knows, I may start another run of another comic (Fantastic Four, Iron Man, X-men, etc,etc)

In any case, I am just going to slow down and enjoy the ride. I may even read every copy I get.

When I get to the higher priced ones I may have to trade some of my sports cards for comics.

If any of you guys know of anyone that have any of the ASM's I am looking for let me know.

And I will keep everyone updated on the run in the SA forums.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

There are several ways I was thinking of going about this............

Since I have a few Bronze Spidey's in high grade holders I was going to build 1-100 raw(with possibly the exception of the first ten or so because of value). Then when I get to 100, just keep on going except in holders. Or I could continue on raw and get the keys in holders.

Or who knows, I may start another run of another comic (Fantastic Four, Iron Man, X-men, etc,etc)

In any case, I am just going to slow down and enjoy the ride. I may even read every copy I get.

When I get to the higher priced ones I may have to trade some of my sports cards for comics.

If any of you guys know of anyone that have any of the ASM's I am looking for let me know.

And I will keep everyone updated on the run in the SA forums.

Your best bet would be to post in the Want to Buy Forum.