• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

I finally see the scratches on the front cover. That's one thing that killed the grade. Plus, those won't press out. Beautiful 5.5 though.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Jankowski copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

And speaking of the Janowicz copy...

FF1_front.jpg

That cover is blindingly white. What a great looking 6.5.

Okay -- funnin' during intermission is over.

Time to get back to business.

Ran the numbers and here's where we're at.

If I missed something, well just shout it out...

Where`s the 49?! That`s probably the toughest of the later issues, and many FF collectors were no doubt dying to see what the Curator copy would grade out at.

I finally see the scratches on the front cover. That's one thing that killed the grade. Plus, those won't press out. Beautiful 5.5 though.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Jankowski copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

I disagree the curator looks far better IMO comparing the two scans.

Okay -- funnin' during intermission is over.

Time to get back to business.

Ran the numbers and here's where we're at.

If I missed something, well just shout it out...

Where`s the 49?! That`s probably the toughest of the later issues, and many FF collectors were no doubt dying to see what the Curator copy would grade out at.

or the #37?

I agree. I think the Curator FF looks much nicer. There has to be a few grade killers that are bringing the technical grade down.

You prefer the typical Marvel dingy yellowish-white of the Curator copy over the bone white cover of the Janowicz copy? ???

And in case you think it`s just a souped up Heritage scan, board member Peewee22 bought the Janowicz copy and said it was indeed that white, and his own pics of the book confirmed that.

I agree that the Janowicz copy is brighter, but that particular scan is wildly saturated...just look at the label itself, which seems so bleached out as to be suffering from radiation poisoning..

That said, the Janowicz seems superior to my eyes, although both are gorgeous for the grade. I wonder, though, if this Curator 5.5 wasn't a duplicate copy of #1 from the collection...wasn't the "original" HG Curator #1 sold to someone else besides Jurgens?

Dan

Masterchief --

Great documentation of what's up thus far...thanks for doing that list.

I too want to see the 37, 49, 51, 55...not to mention the 42 and 43, which can be tough to find in nice shape. Here's hoping for more books to come through the pipeline :wishluck:

Dan

I agree that the Janowicz copy is brighter, but that particular scan is wildly saturated...just look at the label itself, which seems so bleached out as to be suffering from radiation poisoning..

That said, the Janowicz seems superior to my eyes, although both are gorgeous for the grade. I wonder, though, if this Curator 5.5 wasn't a duplicate copy of #1 from the collection...wasn't the "original" HG Curator #1 sold to someone else besides Jurgens?

Dan

I bet there is another Curator FF #1 out there. I've heard too many times that Jurgens bought the #2 & up and that the Curator had previously sold the #1. As we're seeing with the DD #1, we know there were some duplicates in the collection.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Janowicz copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

On the other hand we could choose to be pleasantly surprised that all the other fantastic books in this collection are slabbed, enabling grade comparisons with other pedigrees? We could be happy they're for sale, and will make for an exciting auction? That the provenance of the #1 is confirmed and that the copy is located seeing as it was thought to be separated from 2up?

I don't disagree about that janowicz copy, it looks amazing, but there are so many positives about this collection and about us learning more about it that I'm surprised you're picking on the one negative

Dan

I bet there is another Curator FF #1 out there. I've heard too many times that Jurgens bought the #2 & up and that the Curator had previously sold the #1. As we're seeing with the DD #1, we know there were some duplicates in the collection.

hm

Dan

+1

Just doesn't make sense. From a 5.5 to a 9.4 right after.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Janowicz copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

On the other hand we could choose to be pleasantly surprised that all the other fantastic books in this collection are slabbed, enabling grade comparisons with other pedigrees? We could be happy they're for sale, and will make for an exciting auction? That the provenance of the #1 is confirmed and that the copy is located seeing as it was thought to be separated from 2up?

I don't disagree about that janowicz copy, it looks amazing, but there are so many positives about this collection and about us learning more about it that I'm surprised you're picking on the one negative

Have you read the rest of this thread or the Northstar thread in SA? I`ve made a ton of complimentary posts about the books. I don`t think it`s fair for you to make it seem as if the first and only thing I`ve said about the FFs in the auction is something negative. (shrug)

After the post indicating that they`re now calling the #1 a Curator, I was merely expressing my surprise that it turned out to be a Curator because I didn`t think the #1 was of Curator quality, certainly wasn`t as impressive as what it`s been reputed to be, and wasn`t even as nice about a known "non-pedigreed" copy.

Dan

+1

I would also certianly agree with this scenario as being the most likely possibility. (thumbs u :wishluck:

You prefer the typical Marvel dingy yellowish-white of the Curator copy over the bone white cover of the Janowicz copy? ???

And in case you think it`s just a souped up Heritage scan, board member Peewee22 bought the Janowicz copy and said it was indeed that white, and his own pics of the book confirmed that.

You've got a heck of a memory. That's exactly what peewee22 said about the Janowicz FF#1.

Here's the discussion about the book and the Janowicz Collection:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1825785#Post1825785

Masterchief --

Great documentation of what's up thus far...thanks for doing that list.

I too want to see the 37, 49, 51, 55...not to mention the 42 and 43, which can be tough to find in nice shape. Here's hoping for more books to come through the pipeline :wishluck:

Dan

No problemo, Dan. I'll try and keep my finger on the pulse as the auction builds. (thumbs u