• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Curator FF's!

465 posts in this topic

I finally see the scratches on the front cover. That's one thing that killed the grade. Plus, those won't press out. Beautiful 5.5 though.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Janowicz copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

On the other hand we could choose to be pleasantly surprised that all the other fantastic books in this collection are slabbed, enabling grade comparisons with other pedigrees? We could be happy they're for sale, and will make for an exciting auction? That the provenance of the #1 is confirmed and that the copy is located seeing as it was thought to be separated from 2up?

I don't disagree about that janowicz copy, it looks amazing, but there are so many positives about this collection and about us learning more about it that I'm surprised you're picking on the one negative

Have you read the rest of this thread or the Northstar thread in SA? I`ve made a ton of complimentary posts about the books. I don`t think it`s fair for you to make it seem as if the first and only thing I`ve said about the FFs in the auction is something negative. (shrug)

After the post indicating that they`re now calling the #1 a Curator, I was merely expressing my surprise that it turned out to be a Curator because I didn`t think the #1 was of Curator quality, certainly wasn`t as impressive as what it`s been reputed to be, and wasn`t even as nice about a known "non-pedigreed" copy.

I dig what you're saying, Tim.

I'm curious as to know how the provenance of the book was clearly established, too. hm

I finally see the scratches on the front cover. That's one thing that killed the grade. Plus, those won't press out. Beautiful 5.5 though.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Jankowski copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

I disagree the curator looks far better IMO comparing the two scans.

You prefer the typical Marvel dingy yellowish-white of the Curator copy over the bone white cover of the Janowicz copy? ???

And in case you think it`s just a souped up Heritage scan, board member Peewee22 bought the Janowicz copy and said it was indeed that white, and his own pics of the book confirmed that.

You've got a heck of a memory. That's exactly what peewee22 said about the Janowicz FF#1.

Here's the discussion about the book and the Janowicz Collection:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1825785#Post1825785

Well, since Brannon proceeded to post the Janowicz FF #1 on numerous occasions afterwards, it wasn`t so hard to remember. lol

Anyways, it was the whitest FF #1 that I`d ever seen, so it was pretty easy to remember.

Both FF #1 and X-Men #1 are always seen with that dingy yellow-white so typical of white covered SA Marvels, so I`d always wanted to see the Curator X-Men #1 (bone white in Brulato`s words) and FF #1 to see what a true white covered copy looked like. Which is why I was pretty disappointed that the FF #1 shown here might now be considered to be the Curator copy.

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Janowicz copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

On the other hand we could choose to be pleasantly surprised that all the other fantastic books in this collection are slabbed, enabling grade comparisons with other pedigrees? We could be happy they're for sale, and will make for an exciting auction? That the provenance of the #1 is confirmed and that the copy is located seeing as it was thought to be separated from 2up?

I don't disagree about that janowicz copy, it looks amazing, but there are so many positives about this collection and about us learning more about it that I'm surprised you're picking on the one negative

Have you read the rest of this thread or the Northstar thread in SA? I`ve made a ton of complimentary posts about the books. I don`t think it`s fair for you to make it seem as if the first and only thing I`ve said about the FFs in the auction is something negative. (shrug)

After the post indicating that they`re now calling the #1 a Curator, I was merely expressing my surprise that it turned out to be a Curator because I didn`t think the #1 was of Curator quality, certainly wasn`t as impressive as what it`s been reputed to be, and wasn`t even as nice about a known "non-pedigreed" copy.

I dig what you're saying, Tim.

I'm curious as to know how the provenance of the book was clearly established, too. hm

I`m guessing it went like this:

DJ: "What`s that? You think some of my books might be from something called the `Curator pedigree`? And you`re telling me that high-end collectors go nuts for this Curator pedigree and pay a lot extra for them? Uh, yeah, sure, I got the FF #1 from the same place I got the other FFs. Hand over heart and swear on my mother. Yeah, yeah, that`s it, it`s a--what do you call it--a Curator! Yeah, that`s the ticket!"

You prefer the typical Marvel dingy yellowish-white of the Curator copy over the bone white cover of the Janowicz copy? ???

You're sort of yellowish-white and we prefer you over the bone white cover of the Janowicz copy... Oh, wait. Never mind. :baiting:

So I added a couple more books to the ol' spreadsheet.

Amazing Spider-Man #1: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91048

Brave and the Bold #28: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotIdNo=91051

Both of these books fall at the end of the second group of Curator certification numbers

and are among the same Heritage lot number sequence beginning with "91".

The ASM#1 is an interesting bugger. It looks to have the unique characteristics of a Dupcak Special.

Wonder if Jurgens knew the book got a crew-cut before he picked it up.

ASM-1_6-5.jpg

FF-curators-cn-sort.jpg

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

Could the DD#1 also be a Curator copy?

Looks like the DD #1 and the Showcase #34-36 all got the Curator designation.

:acclaim:

I am slightly confused here, is this copy the same 9.6 Daredevil #1 with White pages, that was designated a Curator and sold in 2010 on Comiclink ? It had an old label i seem to recal and fetched a pretty good price at the time.

Dan's Consignor number (91, verified by the sticker on the back of a couple of scans now) range includes not only the FF's identified so far as Curator copies, but also the really nice Showcase 34-36, and the Daredevil #1 in 9.6 which is not only an early entry, but it also has the distributor overspray and white pages.

Could the DD#1 also be a Curator copy?

Looks like the DD #1 and the Showcase #34-36 all got the Curator designation.

:acclaim:

I am slightly confused here, is this copy the same 9.6 Daredevil #1 with White pages, that was designated a Curator and sold in 2010 on Comiclink ? It had an old label i seem to recal and fetched a pretty good price at the time.

There are duplicates of some Curator books. ASM #12 and #15 are two examples, I think. And it looks like the same holds true for DD #1. Both copies seem to have that fresh Curator goodness.

Does anybody know if the Original Owner (namely the Curator himself) is still alive nowadays?

Being the curator of a museum and supposedly having the smarts for antiques and collectibles in general, it is rather unfortunate that he did not wait a few more years when he would have realized much more money for his well-cared-for collection given the advent of CGC and the various auction formats. doh!

No doubt selling them off in the way which he did would most likely not get him anything resembling true market value for his books. For his own personal mental well-being, it's probably best that he doesn't see what these books will end up going for. :cry:

From what I have read the mental well-being of the Curator had more to do with gender than comic books :gossip:

I think pretty well everybody knows about that part of the story! :gossip:

I was referring more to the fact of possible seller's remorse, especially after selling them for what possibly amounts to peanuts realative to what they would have gone for if he had only waited a few years later. doh!

From what I have read the mental well-being of the Curator had more to do with gender than comic books :gossip:

I was referring more to the fact of possible seller's remorse, especially after selling them for what possibly amounts to peanuts realative to what they would have gone for if he had only waited a few years later. doh!

You know, I'm not so sure this particular seller would feel regret the same way, let's say Roter does for selling the Pac Coasts just a smidge too early.

He sold for a specific purpose at a specific time, I think sometimes you simply accept you got what you got at the time because you wanted something else more. I'm sure there's a twinge of regret, but it is what it is.

Does anybody know if the Original Owner (namely the Curator himself) is still alive nowadays?

Being the curator of a museum and supposedly having the smarts for antiques and collectibles in general, it is rather unfortunate that he did not wait a few more years when he would have realized much more money for his well-cared-for collection given the advent of CGC and the various auction formats. doh!

No doubt selling them off in the way which he did would most likely not get him anything resembling true market value for his books. For his own personal mental well-being, it's probably best that he doesn't see what these books will end up going for. :cry:

Yeah!! Why didn't this curator insufficiently_thoughtful_person use his/her time machine to travel into the future to see what his/her comics would be worth before he/she dumped them? What a insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

You know, I'm not so sure this particular seller would feel regret the same way, let's say Roter does for selling the Pac Coasts just a smidge too early.

Not necessarily so!

Correct me if I am wrong here. I don't believe that Rotor is the original owner that had compiled the Pacific Coast collection from scratch. Was he not simply the dealer who was able to acquire them from the OO and then put them up for sale in the public marketplace? ???

If the latter scenario is true, then Rotor shouldn't really feel that much regret since he was buying the collection from a dealer's point of view with the full intention of selling them for a profit. That is what PCE was in business to do (buy and sell), as opposed to an original owner who has brought and cared for his collection of books for a 25 or 35 year time period with no real immediate intention to sell them.

Not necessarily so!

Correct me if I am wrong here. I don't believe that Rotor is the original owner that had compiled the Pacific Coast collection from scratch. Was he not simply the dealer who was able to acquire them from the OO and then put them up for sale in the public marketplace? ???

If the latter scenario is true, then Rotor shouldn't really feel that much regret since he was buying the collection from a dealer's point of view with the full intention of selling them for a profit. That is what PCE was in business to do (buy and sell), as opposed to an original owner who has brought and cared for his collection of books for a 25 or 35 year time period with no real immediate intention to sell them.

I think that's a fair distinction, but Rotor (thanks for the sp correction), who indeed was the dealer, acquired them and literally missed out on tens of thousands of dollars by selling quickly... and the word has always been some regret -- as would be normal.

In most cases I'd agree with what you are saying about the OO feeling more regret... but in this case, because of the motive -- a specific purchase, I'm not sure there'd be the same regret.

In any case, it's all speculative. I do think it'd be interesting to hear from the OO -- as the back story for the care must be very interesting.

Yes Dean, would that we all had your 20-20 hindsight.

As long as a seller has a good reason to sell, and is happy with the price that they got, that's enough for me. Life is too short to get wrapped up over seller's remorse and beat one's self up for not being able to predict how the future would turn out.

I'd like to think that as a matter of personal mental well-being, that she made the right decision and her life was better for it. :wishluck:

I`m pretty disappointed if that is indeed the mythical Curator FF #1, as I think the Jankowski copy actually presents better. Plus what a huge drop-off, considering that the Curator #2 is a gorgeous looking 9.4.

And speaking of the Janowicz copy...

FF1_front.jpg

That cover is blindingly white. What a great looking 6.5.

i was the underbidder of this Janowizc beauty @ $13k- i still HATE peewee to this day for beating me!!! just kidding peewee

i own the janowizc Avengers 1 and xmen 1 and they are so glossy and colors are so rich and deep + the Xmen 1 is so white - they are amazingly fresh books