• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Essentials

35 posts in this topic

Conan's the only one that's worth more than cover price.

The first prints have different covers most of the time, some nice Bruce Timm work on some of them. Those might be worth grabbing, but still not above cover price.

Tomb of Dracula.

Colan's art looks superb in black and white, and a great run of stories.

Could'nt agree more. :headbang:

Tomb of dracula is a great read.

:applause:

Absolutely LOVE the Essentials. I'm a big supporter of B/W comic book work.

Two of the hardest to find in nice shape ( at least for me ) are Essential X-men 1 & 2 first print. Burnes work in B/W is gorgeous, as is Mr, Cockrum's artwork.

I've found that the earlier volumes and printings have much more nicely reproduced artwork.  As an example, I have first prints of the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne X-Men Essentials, published in the 90s, and the artwork in them is razor sharp.  I remember flicking through a new printing, about four years or so ago, and I was quite surprised at how muddy the artwork looked and the much poorer paper quality.

Tomb of Dracula.

Colan's art looks superb in black and white, and a great run of stories.

+ 1 Looks better in B&W than in color, imo.

I had all the X-men and Wolverine Essentials, but when I moved gave them all to a Children's Charity, lack of space. But if you want a good, cheap contiuous read, they were value for money.

Have an opportunity to purchase a bunch of Essentials and was wondering if there are some I should look out for. Are there any out of print or less produced than others? Thanks in advance.

Tomb of Dracula #1 is kind of difficult to find. The Conans are also becoming difficult.

TheVisitor, thanks for the link. Very handy

This gentleman wants $5 a book and has over 200 Showcase and Essentials but is willing to deal if i buy alot.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far, I'm looking at:

-Marvel Horror

-TOD

-Conan

-X-Men

-ASM

-Godzilla(?) is that a good read?