• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel - 2013

52 posts in this topic

I just read this synopsis on IMDB:

In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Henry Cavill) is a young twenty-something journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone's imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question 'Why am I here?' Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. When the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as Superman, not only to shine as the world's last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.

Is it just me or does this read like Superman meets Twilight?

Not feeling it for this one...when will Hollywood understand this character...the angst thing is for the weak not the most powerful force of good in comics.

I never watched the entire series. It kinda took a strange turn in Season 4. I think I watched Season 5 as well, but it's been a long time.

Seasons 1-3 were great though. It was like a really extended version of the first half of the first Spidey movie.

I think angst can work for the character. What Hollywood seems unable to embrace, at least lately, is that it would be OK to actually have some action in the movies. I think a decent screenwriter (familiar with the comics) could knock out a Parasite/Brainiac screenplay in about 10 days that would be the best Superman movie since Superman II.

Parasite is created in some accident and is sapping the energy grid - causes blackouts and whatnot. Superman kicks his butt, but Brainiac watching from space figures out how to reconfigure the Parasite to sap Superman's energy instead of electrical energy. Parasite kicks Supes' butt. Brainiac tries to take over the world. Supes comes back and wins. He also bones Lois a couple times.

© SHH December 30, 2011

I think angst can work for the character. What Hollywood seems unable to embrace, at least lately, is that it would be OK to actually have some action in the movies. I think a decent screenwriter (familiar with the comics) could knock out a Parasite/Brainiac screenplay in about 10 days that would be the best Superman movie since Superman II.

Parasite is created in some accident and is sapping the energy grid - causes blackouts and whatnot. Superman kicks his butt, but Brainiac watching from space figures out how to reconfigure the Parasite to sap Superman's energy instead of electrical energy. Parasite kicks Supes' butt. Brainiac tries to take over the world. Supes comes back and wins. He also bones Lois a couple times.

© SHH December 30, 2011

Nice! I'm already standing in line for tix to this one.

Not feeling it for this one...when will Hollywood understand this character...the angst thing is for the weak not the most powerful force of good in comics.

I think the key to translating Superman to film is how they portray the Clark Kent persona.

The over-the-top, stumbling bumbling buffoon ruins it. The two best adaptations to date, the George Reeves Adventures of Superman and Bruce Timm's Superman: The Animated Series, treated Kent as a respectable "mild mannered" investigative reporter. No cheese.

And personally I think the old style Circus Strongman costume works better than a tricked-out unicolor wetsuit. The middle-Red color visually balanced out the overall costume design.

cavill_superman_onset.jpg

You know what I never minded when I first started reading comics? I never minded coming in on the middle of the action, and the writers back then could bring you up to speed quickly. I took it for granted that the life of a super-hero was constantly filled with action.

It's great that "character" can be used as a way to bring a new level of interest to what's happening, but a super-hero movie really can't work as a -script-heavy character study. A Superman movie without a massive amount of "sense of wonder" won't satisfy me.

And I know Hollywood is trying to satisfy me, especially now that I'm no longer in the "target demographic." :)

And personally I think the old style Circus Strongman costume works better than a tricked-out unicolor wetsuit. The middle-Red color visually balanced out the overall costume design.

cavill_superman_onset.jpg

What's wrong with a super-hero in bright colors? I want primary colors on Superman. It's his look. I'm sure they are all about giving me "what I want." :)

I think the key to translating Superman to film is how they portray the Clark Kent persona.

The over-the-top, stumbling bumbling buffoon ruins it. The two best adaptations to date, the George Reeves Adventures of Superman and Bruce Timm's Superman: The Animated Series, treated Kent as a respectable "mild mannered" investigative reporter. No cheese.

+1

I hate it when Clark follows Lois around like a puppy dog. James Bond would laugh!

poster8-sean-connery-from-russia-with-love.png

Reads to me like it's going to follow the Smallville formula. I think that's a good thing. The first few seasons of that show were outstanding.

I agree, although the formula was made more popular by Marvel's characters. With a good balance of trying to make a Golden Age hero relevant in today's times while acknowledging the character's heritage may provide the key to success here. There has to be a struggle here outside of simply "bad guys"--that plot worked in 1930, doesn't work today. Sorry.