• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are You There Mr. Lucas? It's Me, K-Dog.

51 posts in this topic

There's an interesting book called The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski that I highly recommend for SW fans. Kaminski deconstructs Lucas' version of the history of the franchise and it debunks some of the myths. He makes a case that Lucas did at one time have a rough outline for a third trilogy, but that after ESB, personal issues (divorce, etc.) led him to just wrap things up w/ROTJ. In other words ROTJ was the SW equivilent of X3. Leia was never intended to be the "other" or Luke's sister. Luke was supposed to kill Vader and turn to the Dark Side. The third trilogy would then have been about the Other and Luke would have been redeemed in the end. So the bottom line is the original framework Lucas had in mind was wiped out when he made ROTJ so there is no way to do the last trilogy the way Lucas had in mind in all those old interviews.

Lawrence Kasdan wrote a pretty incredible story and Lucas was lucky to find him when the original ESB writer passed away. Lucas made a good choice not directing ESB or ROTJ.

Can you imagine Zahn's books getting made into movies? :headbang:

There are a lot of excellent SW novels out there. I stopped reading the books a while back right around the whole Vong war was finishing up.

The Han Solo trilogy is a great read and so is the Fett trilogy.

There's an interesting book called The Secret History of Star Wars by Michael Kaminski that I highly recommend for SW fans. Kaminski deconstructs Lucas' version of the history of the franchise and it debunks some of the myths. He makes a case that Lucas did at one time have a rough outline for a third trilogy, but that after ESB, personal issues (divorce, etc.) led him to just wrap things up w/ROTJ. In other words ROTJ was the SW equivilent of X3. Leia was never intended to be the "other" or Luke's sister. Luke was supposed to kill Vader and turn to the Dark Side. The third trilogy would then have been about the Other and Luke would have been redeemed in the end. So the bottom line is the original framework Lucas had in mind was wiped out when he made ROTJ so there is no way to do the last trilogy the way Lucas had in mind in all those old interviews.

Building Empires is another decent book, but I've found a lot of inaccuracies, unconfirmed info, and speculation with these type of books.

It's interesting that Lucas denied plans for nine films.

My memory may be faulty but he did an interview with Rolling Stone (1977?) wherein I swear he spoke of nine films. I recall being struck by the vastness of his ambition.

He was probably reading from his book of ambitions/bucket list upside down for the interview.

btw: I edited my previous post with a link to the preschool toys I intended to share.

:eyeroll:

How about a new Star Wars trilogy by J.J.Abrams :wishluck:

Lucas needs to stay away from the franchise PEROID!!!!!!! :sumo:

Peroid? That sounds like a cool female Imperial droid. (worship)

Dang! Beat me to it with that quote.

:applause:

Ironically, despite making serious bank with the prequels and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he lost touch with his audience, no longer seeking the same light-hearted and innocent adventures, he knew how to craft so well back in his day. I don't think the magic of the first movies can ever be retouched again, until he can find a better way to connect with audience with more up to date storytelling for these times.

I've got to disagree here on the Crystal Skull. All I heard was about how bad it was and how they forgot what made the original Indiana Jones movies great. When I finally saw it, I couldn't figure out what everyone thought was so bad. It was good (relatively) clean fun. Put it up against Raiders or Crusade and it holds up pretty well. The action is fun and not that much different from the original run. The story was a bit different, but what was left for Indy to chase?

I still love Peter David's article "I Find Your Lack Of Faith Disturbing" about how Lucas changed his focus from faith and belief to science and technology and how it is shown in his last four movies. Luke had to believe for the Force to work and Indiana Jones chased items of faith in the original movies. In the new ones, it's all about science. The Force isn't about faith, it's about midichlorians or some such carp and Indy isn't after an article of faith, he's after the skull of a member of an advanced civilization and the key to their technology. I can't find it online, but it was an incredible little item.

I wish just as much as anyone else that there would be more Star Wars movies. Unlike most I loved all the movies; with Revenge of the Sith being my favorite of all six films (yes, I actually said that). Still, it took George Lucas decades to make the newest films in the trilogy. It seems he become extremely patient and much more content in licensing than making any new films. I don't see this changing any time soon, and until I have evidence to proce otherwise, I doubt we will ever see any new Star Wars movies being made.

By the way, someone brought up a comment about Lego Star Wars products. They (meaning Lego) only have the license until the year 2016. It was already extended once; well past its planned expiration date. That being said, both Lego and Lucas have already stated that it will not be extended past 2016. Lego has been trying to get back into original properties. However, they did sign a new deal to make Lego products based on The Lord of the Rings trilogy. These sets will be out later this year. This will bring a lot of joy to a whole new generation of 'speculators.' Not to mention the cool new Super-Hero sets that were just released this month!