• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are You There Mr. Lucas? It's Me, K-Dog.

51 posts in this topic

Going thru some old Starlogs, and I got to thinking. Will we ever see the third trilogy installment before you get to the big galaxy in the sky? Who will you cast as Luke, Han, Leia and Lando? Enuff Clone Wars, we all know how it ends.

Spielberg is making new movies. Ridley Scott is gonna tell us how the big ship crashed. Peter Jackson is taking us "There, And Back Again". We may even see a better Joker in the next re-reboot of Batman before the continued adventures in a "Galaxy Far, Far Away". If you're done, please let some new hotshot take the reins. Just a thought..... :)

I think Lucas is waaayyyy done. I can't stand the prequels. I only hope Lucas brings on different writers and directors should he choose to make another go - bu t he is getting old and I don;t think we'll see any other Star Wars movies.

Sadly, last I heard, the SW television series got scrapped after a lot of writers were hired for it and it would not be financially feasible to produce.

I'm a big George Lucas fan, too :(

I thought he said that there wasn't going to be a third trilogy...that the story is done?

Or am I just high?

[font:Comic Sans MS]Can't speak for you, but if he said that, he's high. The story (even that of the rebellion) is SO not over.

On that note, has anyone ever heard or read Lucas making any kind of comment on the series of novels following the films and their writers? There is a box office GOLD MINE of material there![/font]

I thought he said that there wasn't going to be a third trilogy...that the story is done?

Or am I just high?

[font:Comic Sans MS]Can't speak for you, but if he said that, he's high. The story (even that of the rebellion) is SO not over.

On that note, has anyone ever heard or read Lucas making any kind of comment on the series of novels following the films and their writers? There is a box office GOLD MINE of material there![/font]

Per Wikipedia (take that for what it's worth):

"The Star Wars sequel trilogy was a reportedly planned trilogy of films (Episodes VII, VIII and IX) by Lucasfilm as a series of sequels to the original Star Wars trilogy (Episodes IV, V and VI) released between 1977 and 1983.[1] While the similarly discussed Star Wars prequel trilogy (Episodes I, II and III) was ultimately released between 1999 and 2005, Lucasfilm and George Lucas have for many years denied plans of making a sequel trilogy, insisting that Star Wars is meant to be a six-part series.[2][3]"

From this article:

George Lucas Talks On 'Star Wars' Sequels 7, 8 & 9

[Monday, September 13th, 2004]

George Lucas talked to MTV about the recent rumors of three more sequels, heres what he had to say to them.

Don't expect any more "Star Wars" flicks after "Revenge of the Sith" — George Lucas says he's done.

"This was never planned as a nine-episode work," Lucas said. "The media [pounced when] I made an offhand comment, 'It might be fun to come back when everyone's 80 and do another one of these.' But I never had any intention of doing that."

Here is the reality that is unavoidable. The Star Wars movies, grossed Worldwide adjusted for inflation, somewhere around 6 billion dollars. That doesn't include the many multiples of that figure for other licensed products.

They will continue to make movies.

Here is the reality that is unavoidable. The Star Wars movies, grossed Worldwide adjusted for inflation, somewhere around 6 billion dollars. That doesn't include the many multiples of that figure for other licensed products.

Prove it.

I am curious about who will have control over the rights once Lucas passes.

Yeah, the prequels sucked, but the OT was fantastic and so much more came out of the OT in terms of technological advances.

BTW, does anyone know that Lucas' daughter competes in MMA?

Prove it.

:censored:

Foiled again!

My 2 cents:

I've noticed that the people who were alive for the release of the original trilogy seem to really dislike the prequels. I'm not entirely sure why that is but my personal opinion is that I like the prequels just as much as the originals (with the exception of Episode 1) because I grew up with them. Episode 1 was released the month my sister was born, and I saw Episode 3 in theatres in Grade 5. That, to me, is the equivalent of your guys' experience with the original trilogy. Therefore, I don't think any potential movies would suck, they would just have a younger fan base because of the time period we live in.

I would love to see more movies - even an origin movie similar to what the X-Men did. Who wouldn't want to see a Mace Windu or Yoda origin movie? hm

I don't know for certain about any additional movies, but based on what's already been shared mixed with my own opinion, I'd have to say no.

At one time, the movie property was so hot that it probably went neck and neck with the revenue generated through the merchandise and LFL licensing properties.

But Lucas insisted on making change, after change, after change to the original trilogy and fans still are incensed about this. To the point that the re-releases have become ho-hum, and even though they try every so often to re-release the "full library" of films, they are still the modified films and not the originals.

Somewhere I have all three of the originally released films on VHS, but I just can't be bothered clearing off the cobwebs and hooking up the VCR for the sake of rehashing some old memories of one of the first live action films I saw.

My hunch is that the revenue generated from the re-releases on Blu-Ray, ad nausium, are nowhere near the revenue generated through merchandise and licensing. Smart money has to be on not releasing any movies to avoid messing with any brand value the merchandising license is still able to draw upon.

Whether deliberate or not, one of the things LFL steered away from is preschool toys. Here is a link with some pics of unproduced preschool toys which is probably one of the more interesting planned but never released toys.

Fast forward to the present day, and not surprisingly, LEGO and a wide array of new licensed Star Wars toys for younger audiences has really taken off, and I expect this to continue to be one of the more lucrative LFL licensing properties for many years to come.