• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOLD Uncle Scrooge 179 by Carl Barks

27 posts in this topic

For my first official sales thread I offer up a Scrooge 179 by Carl Barks, one of those elusive "Whitman Rares" that Disney collectors would know about. Listed here for $150, which is what I paid for it.

I'll ship free in the US. Paypal preferred but will accept check/MO. I may add some more stuff here later depending on how sales go on a different site.

First :takeit: does it.

119675.jpg.8c5afa2253bb34e02772972892b66da7.jpg

I thought thread-crapping, in particular in sales thread, was a big no-no.

Uncle $crooge # 179 is a genuinely hard issue to come by as, if memory serves, it was only sold in 3-packs when sales were low so that the print run is tiny for Whitman books. The book has commended high prices in the market though I do not know where the market stands on this issue right now.

Regardless of the above, this is NOT the best way to start the new year by thread-crapping :sumo:

Uncle $crooge # 179 is a genuinely hard issue to come by as, if memory serves, it was only sold in 3-packs when sales were low so that the print run is tiny for Whitman books. The book has commended high prices in the market though I do not know where the market stands on this issue right now.

Regardless of the above, this is NOT the best way to start the new year by thread-crapping :sumo:

+1

Yes, Collector's Marketplace did an article on these rare Whitmans several years back. It was fascinating and this issue is the holy grail of Uncle Scrooge comics if you are a completist!

As a matter of fact my first New Year's resolution is to take a look through my Scrooge box today to see if I have one of these elusive issues. I was actually buying those 3 packs from department stores when this issue came out. Somehow I don't think I have one.

I didn't think my asking price, which really is what I paid for it, would be so controversial.

(shrug)

This issue was indeed only sold in 3-packs and usually on pharmacy spinner racks. There was a belief that they were only distributed to Australia of all places and that there is only about 50 copies in existence. I doubt that number is anywhere near that low but they can be hard to track down, for sure.

I didn't think my asking price, which really is what I paid for it, would be so controversial.

(shrug)

This issue was indeed only sold in 3-packs and usually on pharmacy spinner racks. There was a belief that they were only distributed to Australia of all places and that there is only about 50 copies in existence. I doubt that number is anywhere near that low but they can be hard to track down, for sure.

For reference, a CGC 2.5 just sold for $190 not too long back. You have the right to ask what you wish and hopefully the poor manners of the thread crapper won't scare you away from the boards. Welcome and good luck with the sale :foryou:

Just out of curiosity, as a question to the seller, what grade would you assign this copy?

I would call this a GD.

By the way, that weird green blooming effect on the scan (which I just noticed) is NOT on the comic.

(shrug)

For reference, a CGC 2.5 just sold for $190 not too long back. You have the right to ask what you wish and hopefully the poor manners of the thread crapper won't scare you away from the boards. Welcome and good luck with the sale :foryou:

Okay so my asking price looks about right in line with recent history. Thanks!

+2

A CGC 2.5 sold for $190 on October 2011.

A CGC 3.0 sold for $399 on Feb 2009.

Seems to be offered here for a good price.

I know absolutely nothing about disneys and would never open my mouth about pricing on them. Obv the thread crapper has no idea either, but has no problem opening his mouth.

Great book, thanks for offering here.

Just to be clear, no harm was meant by my post and I doubt comicdonna's, who I know is a respected member of the boards of long standing.

I see that the original TK post I responded to has been deleted - my comments were directed at that - indignant that someone would be so obtuse as to TK on a boardie's first sales thread, but I can see they may have been misinterpreted. As a past seller here I know it's tough to build a reputation and am as annoyed at TK'ing as I think anyone. :foryou:

FWIW I'm a Barks fan and have pursued some of his work in recent Heritage Signature events rather aggressively, and in fact am well aware of the value of this 179. I clicked into this thread in the first place because I've been eyeing a lower-grade copy on eBay and was wondering if this was going to be one of those slabbed copies, given the scarcity in HG of the book.

At any rate, good luck with the sale. (thumbs u

Just to be clear, no harm was meant by my post and I doubt comicdonna's, who I know is a respected member of the boards of long standing.

I see that the original TK post I responded to has been deleted - my comments were directed at that - indignant that someone would be so obtuse as to TK on a boardie's first sales thread, but I can see they may have been misinterpreted. As a past seller here I know it's tough to build a reputation and am as annoyed at TK'ing as I think anyone. :foryou:

FWIW I'm a Barks fan and have pursued some of his work in recent Heritage Signature events rather aggressively, and in fact am well aware of the value of this 179. I clicked into this thread in the first place because I've been eyeing a lower-grade copy on eBay and was wondering if this was going to be one of those slabbed copies, given the scarcity in HG of the book.

Ironically those first replies seemed to have spurred some good Scrooge conversation. No harm done.

Ironically those first replies seemed to have spurred some good Scrooge conversation. No harm done.

Whoa, a good attitude! You obviously will not last long around here. :)

Maybe. I don't have much interest in board members hollering at each other. I tend to tune out of convos that aren't directly related to actual comics.