• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Why say "My God"?

17 posts in this topic

I doubt it will ever be explained but why do poeple exclaim "My God" or "Oh my God"? Shouldn't they be saying "Our God" or "Oh our God" or "Oh your God"? Wouldn't someone really have to think that their God is only theirs and not shared to exclaim "Oh my God"? And what about Buddhists and Muslims? They yell "My God" but shouldn't they be yelling "My Buddha" or "My Allah"? Then there are Atheists. Souldn't they be yelling "My Darwin" or something else? Also, there are the Satan worshipers. They do not yell "My Satan" or "Oh my Mephisto". I just don't get it.

Also, there are the Satan worshipers. They do not yell "My Satan" or "Oh my Mephisto". I just don't get it.

If they did yell that, they would probrably have a stake put through their heart! foreheadslap.gif

It probably originated in the New Testament where, when Christ is close to death on the corss he says (trying to remember proper spelling) "Eloi Eloi, lama sabach thani?"” which translates as My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?

But to the core of your question, the above combined with the sense that most expressions that begin with "My God" tend to be quite subjective, the possessive is most appropriate.

And as far as "My Buddha" or "My Allah" - well - I mean - how do you know they aren't? Buddha and Allah tend to non-English while the Christian God, at least in the USA, thends to English.

Oh. And Buddha was never set up as God.

But what makes it holy? I know holy water has been blessed, etc.. but I have never seen a priest or other religious leader bless a steaming pile of fecal matter. Also, holy water is used mostly to come in contact with human skin. Not sure about you, but, other than the occasional scat freak, I have never seen someone smearing feces upon themselves as part of a Baptism. You?

But what makes it holy? I know holy water has been blessed, etc.. but I have never seen a priest or other religious leader bless a steaming pile of fecal matter. Also, holy water is used mostly to come in contact with human skin. Not sure about you, but, other than the occasional scat freak, I have never seen someone smearing feces upon themselves as part of a Baptism. You?

Who said it is "holy" - it is just an expression. Wake up and smell the fesces...err...coffee!

Oh, you mean like this topic did?

My GOD VH ROCKED!

Anyway, I was thinking about the show Friends. I have NEVER seen an episode where they didn't exclaim "Oh my God" in it. Not one. That made me realize how often it is said in society and then that made me realize how little it is said in comics. Comics are history and obviously reflect society in many ways. However in that way, they do not. Sure there are some, but not the ultra popular titles.

Anyway, I was thinking about the show Friends. I have NEVER seen an episode where they didn't exclaim "Oh my God" in it. Not one.

FRIENDS? What to say? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, the "show' is written by TV Writers so first you have to be put on the correct path. And then you have to be led to the correct fork - which ios the TV Deciders - you know - the ones who approve the episodes? So don't go by FRIENDS. Go by those Invisible Ones who make the decisions.

foreheadslap.gif