• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Threadbusters, firestarters, epiphanies and transformations: 2011 reviewed

44 posts in this topic

I don't understand why Mitch would be mentioned. He didn't post any covers.

He didn't provide any data. He didn't tell any new stories.

He did own a pretty nice copy of Action 1 at one time. I once owned a mint copy of Amazing Fantasy 15, Spiderman 1, X-men 1, etc. I sold them a long time ago and so did Mitch, probably. Go back to general and leave the golden age forum to collectors.

I'd buy that for a dollar!!!

He did own a pretty nice copy of Action 1 at one time. I once owned a mint copy of Amazing Fantasy 15, Spiderman 1, X-men 1, etc. I sold them a long time ago and so did Mitch, probably. Go back to general and leave the golden age forum to collectors.

He did provide lots of old stories that people here were unfamiliar with, ...and even predicted a future that Paul Verhoeven never imagined! (thumbs u

hm Of course, I suppose we all have past stories and glories to share; here's one of mine:

img_YaleBowlcopy_124-1.jpg

:foryou:

He did provide lots of old stories that people here were unfamiliar with, ...and even predicted a future that Paul Verhoeven never imagined! (thumbs u

hm Of course, I suppose we all have past stories and glories to share; here's one of mine:

Which frame was the beer frame?

Does the post above come with a decoder ring ???

:sorry:I'll buy that for a dollar is a directly quoted line from a TV comedian in Paul Verhoeven's movie Robocop.

The Yale Bowl scan was just a gift for Wrightson Fan (Archie Goodwin, Berni and I took time off from a weekend convention in Tulsa to bowl many years ago).

Hope that helps! (thumbs u

In addition to what's been mentioned, the Cage Action 1 being found eary in the year and subsequently sold in November is a pretty cool story overall.

The surfacing of the check used to buy Superman was a fantastic story (wonder if that will be auctioned this year?).

The Atlantic City collection sale resulted in several records.

Wrong section, but several big Silver Age key records were set over the course of the year.

Sleeper Golden Age story of 2012: If the Dark Knight Rises connection to Batman #13 pans out, that'll be fun (backstory: There's a character named John Blake in Dark Knight Rises. There is some speculation that he could be somehow related to a character of that name from Batman #13. Nobody knows if it's legit or just a coincidence, but there is a LOT of interest in the matter -- a post explaining this is BC's most-read post of 2011)

Which frame was the beer frame?

All of them! :grin:

Hey, he might be the greatest off the boards, but the question concerned our impressions of the year on the boards.

Before you criticize someone,

walk a mile in their shoes.

That way

if they get angry

they will be

a mile away

and barefoot.

I did dimly begin to see that who he is in person might not quite be the Mitch as he presented himself on the boards - but it took a while. And I have no issue with anyone who is prepared to stand up in defense of a friend. Pace DavidMerryweather.

But his presentation on the boards almost killed my enthusiasm for the forum. So in that sense, for me, he became the antichrist - and if that seems overblown hyperbole, what other proportionate response does he leave us? If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, of what is bombast the lowest form? Rhetoric perhaps?

There are men and women on these boards for whom I have developed enormous respect and in whose shoes I would gladly walk - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their collections, awesome though many of these are.

I prize above everything the grace that comes with generosity of spirit and I could list a dozen names of people here in this regard. But I cannot think of a single individual other than Mitch who introduced themselves as having answers the rest of you hadnt thought of. Bombast commingled with solipsism is hardly a heady mix - indeed, it sucks the air out of the room, the life out of the forum, because it leaves no room for anyone else's view!

hm An interesting and intelligently presented perspective, but may politely offer an alternative POV?

Of course the last thing anyone would want is a legion of board expatriots seeking solace elsewhere, but I look at Mitch's posts as more of a catalyst to keeping this board lively. Mitch never takes offense at folks poking fun at him or saying some pretty darned offensive things in some cases. Yes, his rhetoric is confrontational, but that's because he loves the challenge. He doesn't create controversy out of spite, but rather to get spirited argument.

Friendly combat is the nature of Mitch's game, and when motivated he's a very astute player. I'm sure that he'd rather acquire friends here than foes or foils, but try looking at it from Mitch's position of being both a newbie here and long time collector at the same time. After all, he's done what he claims and has been active in the fan community in one capacity or another for generations. His presentation was awkward and his spelling atrocious, but when challenged to present evidence he complied even when more folks piled on.

One has to wonder how many General Forum junkies had their interest in GA fueled by Mitch's revving up the rhetoric on this forum? New collectors are the lifeblood of every every hobby and Mitch's enthusiasm, and yes, even his bravado is an asset in moderation. I use the in moderation caveat because it's the mixture of views that make these discussions inspiring and informational.

Of course I don't know much about walking in anyone else's shoes as everyone's mileage varies and athlete's foot does nothing for the collective itch or soothing the sole. :kidaround:

Cat - your contributions to the boards have been way more interesting to read than Mitch's.

(worship)

Hey, he might be the greatest off the boards, but the question concerned our impressions of the year on the boards.

That way

if they get angry

they will be

a mile away

and barefoot.

I did dimly begin to see that who he is in person might not quite be the Mitch as he presented himself on the boards - but it took a while. And I have no issue with anyone who is prepared to stand up in defense of a friend. Pace DavidMerryweather.

But his presentation on the boards almost killed my enthusiasm for the forum. So in that sense, for me, he became the antichrist - and if that seems overblown hyperbole, what other proportionate response does he leave us? If sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, of what is bombast the lowest form? Rhetoric perhaps?

There are men and women on these boards for whom I have developed enormous respect and in whose shoes I would gladly walk - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their collections, awesome though many of these are.

I prize above everything the grace that comes with generosity of spirit and I could list a dozen names of people here in this regard. But I cannot think of a single individual other than Mitch who introduced themselves as having answers the rest of you hadnt thought of. Bombast commingled with solipsism is hardly a heady mix - indeed, it sucks the air out of the room, the life out of the forum, because it leaves no room for anyone else's view!

hm An interesting and intelligently presented perspective, but may politely offer an alternative POV?

Of course the last thing anyone would want is a legion of board expatriots seeking solace elsewhere, but I look at Mitch's posts as more of a catalyst to keeping this board lively. Mitch never takes offense at folks poking fun at him or saying some pretty darned offensive things in some cases. Yes, his rhetoric is confrontational, but that's because he loves the challenge. He doesn't create controversy out of spite, but rather to get spirited argument.

Friendly combat is the nature of Mitch's game, and when motivated he's a very astute player. I'm sure that he'd rather acquire friends here than foes or foils, but try looking at it from Mitch's position of being both a newbie here and long time collector at the same time. After all, he's done what he claims and has been active in the fan community in one capacity or another for generations. His presentation was awkward and his spelling atrocious, but when challenged to present evidence he complied even when more folks piled on.

One has to wonder how many General Forum junkies had their interest in GA fueled by Mitch's revving up the rhetoric on this forum? New collectors are the lifeblood of every every hobby and Mitch's enthusiasm, and yes, even his bravado is an asset in moderation. I use the in moderation caveat because it's the mixture of views that make these discussions inspiring and informational.

Of course I don't know much about walking in anyone else's shoes as everyone's mileage varies and athlete's foot does nothing for the collective itch or soothing the sole. :kidaround:

Cat - your contributions to the boards have been way more interesting to read than Mitch's.

Agreed. (thumbs u

Agreed. (thumbs u

Ditto!

I'd also like to say that I have really enjoyed alanna and pcalhoun's posts this past year as well. The three of you have been a great addition to the GA forums. (worship)

I'm sure Mitch is a good guy in real life (and Theo too). Most people are. And some of his posts have been pretty good. If he would just tone it down a bit and learn to talk with people rather than at people, he would probably fit right in.

You posted some amazing material from old conventions and fanzines.

I'll second most of the other comments, but would a few other highlights that may not have been mentioned:

-- Boardies were able to assist some of the more scholarly pursuits of folks like Greg Sadowski, Craig Yoe, Paul Tumey. One example involved the discussion of Kirby's potential involvement in the cover to Champion 8.

-- Generic_user, BBGun and BZ helping to flesh out the Jimmy Thompson thread.

-- The collaborative effort in analyzing the relative price of SA vs GA books. This involved some nifty statistical work as well as sage analysis by long-time collectors.

-- The growth in sales of GA books in the Sales Forum as it's nice for folks to have an easy way unload or stock up on books in a friendly & relatively safe environment.

The GA Forum remains a fun place to hang out when there's no convention to attend or books to fondle.

That's how I feel too. I think we all have friends, that until you get to know them, are kinda jerks. Mitch is probably in this group among your friends, Dave. I only know him from his posts and his history. I have nothing else to judge him on.

That way

if they get angry

they will be

a mile away

and barefoot.

(thumbs u

I have really enjoyed reading and looking at all the GA goodness since I joined in July. I had honestly never seen a GA book and really knew nothing about them. (except for the big guns of course like AC1 and DC 71). I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge on the subject of GA books.

My epiphany of 2011 was that the GA Forum does indeed influence market trends.

. . . Sleeper Golden Age story of 2012: If the Dark Knight Rises connection to Batman #13 pans out, that'll be fun
:wishluck:

Agreed. (thumbs u

Ditto!

I'd also like to say that I have really enjoyed alanna and pcalhoun's posts this past year as well. The three of you have been a great addition to the GA forums. (worship)

I'm sure Mitch is a good guy in real life (and Theo too). Most people are. And some of his posts have been pretty good. If he would just tone it down a bit and learn to talk with people rather than at people, he would probably fit right in.

As an outsider who mainly lurks here on the GA forum, I'd have to agree with this. I definitely get the impression that he's talking at (and at times down to) people. One wonders what the board's collective opinion of MM would be if he delivered his messages in a different way.