• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My little challenge to me

60 posts in this topic

I don't think I've ever made a 10:1 ratio before.

Would you believe that it was a SA Marvel one-shot that did it for me and that it's not even a major key issue? It's a minor key at best as it features the first appearance in comics of a popular '60s TV cartoon character along with some Marvel superhero stories. I had no idea of the points it carried until I added it to my set, but I won't post the title here as I don't want to compromise the OPs challenge to himself ;) .

:gossip: Although, for anyone who is curious (not you miraclemet (tsk) ), I don't have a very large slabbed collection so it wouldn't be hard to figure out which book I'm referring to if you were to thumb through my sets in the registry.

A 9.6 universal sells for about $240-$285 and is worth 2625 points.

A 9.8 universal sells for about $400-$475 and is worth 4200 points.

cost me $426 in 2011

120430.jpg.530e0f9e571582abfaf12bebf8a017e0.jpg

You missed 1180 Registry points for $100 earlier . . . :sorry:

yeah I saw that after someone else won it... I cant decide how I feel about those Auroras... they are comics, but not published directly as comics thru Marvel/DC... cant decide if I want them in my collection or not.

Wonder if anyone has gotten those ATARI force mini-comic books that came with the cartridges back in the 80s encapsulated....

Would you believe that it was a SA Marvel one-shot that did it for me and that it's not even a major key issue? It's a minor key at best as it features the first appearance in comics of a popular '60s TV cartoon character along with some Marvel superhero stories. I had no idea of the points it carried until I added it to my set, but I won't post the title here as I don't want to compromise the OPs challenge to himself ;) .

:gossip: Although, for anyone who is curious (not you miraclemet (tsk) ), I don't have a very large slabbed collection so it wouldn't be hard to figure out which book I'm referring to if you were to thumb through my sets in the registry.

cost me $426 in 2011

Anyone know what the story is with this book? How was it distributed? Seems like one of those oddball books that didnt get "collected" like other regular publications...

cost me $426 in 2011

I paid $400 for a 9.4 copy in 2006. :facepalm:

Spend to date: $72

Registry points: 880

% towards Goal: 88%

% budget spent: 72%

On Target: 16% ahead of target!

And here we are at the finish line.

I've been stalking the X-men during this little game, since they seem to most consistently have a good points to dollar ratio. Typically they are falling in the 5x range up to the 7.5x range. This is mostly in the Claremont era X-men (94-142) in NM condition or better. though a few Byrne issues also fit the bill.

The one that seems to have the best ratio in the market when you can find it is X-men #142, part of the "Days of Futures Past" storyline where "Everybody Dies". I've been trying to nab a 9.6 (500 points) for less than $75 (the lowers BIN) but every auction that starts below that, ends above that (lesson to auction listers, start low and the bidders will get you back to market value on popular books). Last night a 9.4 popped up from a seller who's been listing X-men slabs from this era for a few weeks in a row at pretty good BIN prices (and great auction starting prices). The X-men #142 in 9.4 was listed with a $35 BIN for the 300 point registry addition. So with that close of a 10:1 ratio (8.5 to 1) I hit the button as I was rocking my 3 year old back to sleep (thank goodness for smartphones!)

X-men14294.jpg

So the new tally:

Spend to date: $72 + 35 = $107

Registry points: 880 + 300 = 1180

% towards Goal: 118%

% budget spent: 107%

On Target: 11% ahead of target!

Final Ratio 1180:107 or 11 registry points for every $1 spent

Well I saw ComicLink's Winter auction included the Registry Steroid known as AMERICA'S BEST TV COMICS #nn in a sultry 9.8 condition (though it had Cream to OW pages). I threw in a bid to track it, checked the registry and saw that the 9.8 edition was worth a sweet 4200 points (as we talked about in the earlier conversation in this journal thread). I watched with interest yesterday as the price streaked past the 10:1 price of $420, over $500 to land at $559 (a respectable 7.5 points per $1). While the final price was out of my budget (I have started capping myself at around $200 a book for the time being) it did get me thinking about this challenge again.... I havent seen this book pop up on ebay in any price/grade that was appealing but the internet is a big place and I found a guy selling his CGC 9.4 copy at his own site (getslabbed.com if you want to see the site). He does a few consignments, and its actaully a pretty nice site overall. I made him an offer on the 9.4 which he accepted and I now have enroute a good lookling CGCed 9.4 copy of the book (worth 1575 points) at a price that put me just a hair under the 10:1 ratio ($160).

ABTVC94.jpg

It has the nice benefit of being a file copy, though interestingly it also suffers from the "Cream to OW" PQ. Which makes me thing the few "White" PQs are even rarer than their more typically produced counterparts. Not sure if its just low grade paper, but the fact that a file copy had that level of yellowing make me think that the paper is the culprit rather than any exposure issue.

So the new tally:

Spend to date: $107 + 160 = $267

Registry points: 1180 + 1575 = 2755

Current Ratio 2755:267 or 10.3 to 1

My new problem? This title is part of the Registry collection "Marvel Silver Age 1st Issues (1965-1969)" with some heavy hitter books in the set (Hulk #102, Iron Man #1, Cap #100) and now I've got a hankerin' to work on the set.... hmmmm maybe it's time for a new challenge!

My new problem? This title is part of the Registry collection "Marvel Silver Age 1st Issues (1965-1969)" with some heavy hitter books in the set (Hulk #102, Iron Man #1, Cap #100) and now I've got a hankerin' to work on the set.... hmmmm maybe it's time for a new challenge!

Congrats on the new acquisition! My 9.6 is not a File Copy (which is always cool), but I did luck out and avoid the Cream Pages.

This book is found in one other set "George of the Jungle" as it is the first appearance of George in comics. It is a 3 book set that Eric started and is currently leading with a nice complete set. Your book would rank pretty high there.

America%2527s%2520Best%2520TV%2520Comics%2520-%2520CGC%25209.6%2520Universal.JPG

This has been a great read for me. I am not real familiar with registry points, so it's good to read about some of this stuff and get educated.

Hey Dr. B! Glad you enjoyed the read. The registry, as others have pointed out, is a funny thing, and the way points are assigned is far from a science. There are little pockets of high point books, and other books where (like someone else mentioned) your books that costs a pretty penny (think low/mid grade Golden Age books) are worth less than a book that costs a tenth of it!

As I said, there's no science to it... There seems to be some inflation for popularity (the only reason I can see for some of the higher point ratios for the Claremont/Byrne X-men books) but it definitely doesn't apply across the boards...

As others have said before me, don't collect for the sake of registry points, collect what you love and you will be happier for it... though I did find my little experiment/challenge to be fun in and of itself..

Thought I had a new target when I started looking thru the "Marvel Silver Age 1st Issues (1965-1969)" and saw that Spectacular Spider-Man #1 was going for 1600 points (and at a GPA of $175ish so close to 10:1)...

I was getting close to working a deal for the book, but then something made me look closer... I started checking out other registries with this book listed, an once I found one with an image realized that this was not Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man, but the Spectacular Spiderman magazine sized (black and white maybe?) release.... that goes for $500 in 9.6 for 1000 points so more of a 2:1 ratio...

definite :facepalm:

the search continues...

the only thing currently being challenged is my wallet!

I kid...

I'm currently focused on my Lady in White collection and getting that complete (check out my other Journal thread to see my progress!)

Well I saw ComicLink's Winter auction included the Registry Steroid known as AMERICA'S BEST TV COMICS #nn in a sultry 9.8 condition (though it had Cream to OW pages). I threw in a bid to track it, checked the registry and saw that the 9.8 edition was worth a sweet 4200 points (as we talked about in the earlier conversation in this journal thread). I watched with interest yesterday as the price streaked past the 10:1 price of $420, over $500 to land at $559 (a respectable 7.5 points per $1). While the final price was out of my budget (I have started capping myself at around $200 a book for the time being) it did get me thinking about this challenge again.... I havent seen this book pop up on ebay in any price/grade that was appealing but the internet is a big place and I found a guy selling his CGC 9.4 copy at his own site (getslabbed.com if you want to see the site). He does a few consignments, and its actaully a pretty nice site overall. I made him an offer on the 9.4 which he accepted and I now have enroute a good lookling CGCed 9.4 copy of the book (worth 1575 points) at a price that put me just a hair under the 10:1 ratio ($160).

ABTVC94.jpg

It has the nice benefit of being a file copy, though interestingly it also suffers from the "Cream to OW" PQ. Which makes me thing the few "White" PQs are even rarer than their more typically produced counterparts. Not sure if its just low grade paper, but the fact that a file copy had that level of yellowing make me think that the paper is the culprit rather than any exposure issue.

So the new tally:

Spend to date: $107 + 160 = $267

Registry points: 1180 + 1575 = 2755

Current Ratio 2755:267 or 10.3 to 1

That musta been one big damn file!

here's mine, and yes, the amount of registry points for this book compared to price is INSANE!

abc1.jpg

Thought I had a new target when I started looking thru the "Marvel Silver Age 1st Issues (1965-1969)" and saw that Spectacular Spider-Man #1 was going for 1600 points (and at a GPA of $175ish so close to 10:1)...

I was getting close to working a deal for the book, but then something made me look closer... I started checking out other registries with this book listed, an once I found one with an image realized that this was not Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man, but the Spectacular Spiderman magazine sized (black and white maybe?) release.... that goes for $500 in 9.6 for 1000 points so more of a 2:1 ratio...

the search continues...

Is this what you are looking for? :baiting:

I picked it up raw on ebay last year advertised as a warehouse find and a possible VF/NM (9.0) for $85. The listing had great scans and I had a hunch it was severely under graded and once it was in my hand I was blown away by how nice the book was. Took it to the Dallas Comic Con the following May and had it signed by Mr. Excelsior! (thumbs u

I'm not really a big SS collector (I only have 5 to date), but I figured a high grade SA series starting Spidey book signed by Stan would be a nice piece to own.

Spectacular%2520Spider-Man%25201%2520%2528%252768%2529%2520-%2520CGC%25209.4%2520Sig%2520Series.JPG

the search continues...

Is this what you are looking for? :baiting:

I picked it up raw on ebay last year advertised as a warehouse find and a possible VF/NM (9.0) for $85. The listing had great scans and I had a hunch it was severely under graded and once it was in my hand I was blown away by how nice the book was. Took it to the Dallas Comic Con the following May and had it signed by Mr. Excelsior! (thumbs u

I'm not really a big SS collector (I only have 5 to date), but I figured a high grade SA series starting Spidey book signed by Stan would be a nice piece to own.

Spectacular%2520Spider-Man%25201%2520%2528%252768%2529%2520-%2520CGC%25209.4%2520Sig%2520Series.JPG

I too am looking for a copy of this book ... tough book to find in HG :(

Weird considering its a spidey book. (shrug)