• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fatale anyone?

1,017 posts in this topic

But here's the thing. Regardless of the 2:1 ratio, the Beauty cover is the better one--so I can see it being more popular. Plus, she's the protagonist rather than the villain.

I'm avoiding second-third-whatever prints. Will pick them up from the dollar bins in a few years, if at all.

I also don't get the demand for 3rd, 4th prints of issue 1. 22.5k is a _lot_ of copies for a non-superhero indy noir, not counting the "generous overprint" of the issues that probably bumped it to 24k total.

oooo he signed it....

i don't see there being enough copies of 3rd 4th prints to be snatching them out of dollar bins. jmo. Especially if the series takes off or gets its own tv show.

there's demand for justice league 6th printing so who knows...people like cool looking covers and the 4th print of Fatale is certainly cool looking.

As a book collector, I've never understood second prints being valuable. However, I'm a bigger fan of second prints with new covers than I am with regular variants.

I've order the printings that are coming out on Wednesday, but we'll see if I actually get them.

yeah, 2nd editions are normally taboo in the book world...but in the comic realm it seems like the fun is just getting started.

Auction ended on my page 8...I'll just get it framed and hang on to it for a bit. I was starting to regret putting it up for sale near the end.

yeah, 2nd editions are normally taboo in the book world...but in the comic realm it seems like the fun is just getting started.

Auction ended on my page 8...I'll just get it framed and hang on to it for a bit. I was starting to regret putting it up for sale near the end.

Are 4th editions then like the child of the comic book world? :insane:

I can't wait to get the 4th editions that we snagged.

Yeah--maybe I'm old-fashioned but my modern collecting heyday was 20 years ago, when the only 2nd prints worth a damn were Ghost Rider 5 (gold) and Spider-Man 1 gold (UPC).

I get that Batman 608 & 612 also took off, and that _now_ some Copper completists are going back and trying for books like Hulk 377 3rd or Man of Steel 18 5th, but really?

Was it two years ago when Doug Sulipa's Overstreet Market Report included "how hard it was" to collect all 8 printings of The Killing Joke in 9/6/9.8? Who's collecting those?

I just don't understand the "must have all variants" mentality.

IMO these aren't even variants...they are reprints. And...this is part of what killed the comic market in the early '90s (along with massive overprinting and rampant speculation). Encouraging collectors to buy 5 different covers of the same book was a big part of this. Dynamite is the worst offender. Does anyone actually collect four covers of every single issue? Probably.

IMO these aren't even variants...they are reprints. And...this is part of what killed the comic market in the early '90s (along with massive overprinting and rampant speculation). Encouraging collectors to buy 5 different covers of the same book was a big part of this. Dynamite is the worst offender. Does anyone actually collect four covers of every single issue? Probably.

One of my favorite subjects to talk about in regards to modern comics...If I collect a title, I collect everything from that title, variants and reprints included. That being said, I have a limited appetite for such things. I've dropped titles in the past that I thought were becoming too variant crazy. I won't even bother collecting a Dynamite or IDW title because they produce way too many variants.

Note to publishers: A variant, even two for a #1, anniversary issue, or significant issue is okay. But every comic, every month, does not need 4-5 variants (I'm looking at you Dynamite. I might have bought some of the Warlord of Mars stuff or the upcoming Shadow series, but I'm put off the sheer volume of variants associated with these titles).

It's weird, though, for me, I hate variants or multiple covers or whatever, in part because they're released at the same time. There's something okay about the fact that multiple printings come out later because of demand.

Then again, maybe there's a demand because the same people are buying multiple copies.

+1- but if it makes you happy, have at it. i just don't see how it's sustainable but WTF do i know? i collect HG silver age DC which is the insufficiently_thoughtful_person stepchild of collecting interests.

i'm very jekyll hyde as a rule anyways....but you know i was going to keep it when the previous auction ended....as of yesterday morning my daughter wrecked her car...so i figured if i could sell it i could get a body shop to get her trunk unstuck and keep the inside light from flickering on.