• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone from the bay area, whats the best shop to visit?

22 posts in this topic

I'm going to be in San Francisco next week and I'm looking for a good shop to go to. Does anyone who live in San Francisco or the surrounding area have any good suggestions for me? I've done some looking online and the best one I've seen is the collectors cave. I'm more into GA and SA so if you know about a diamond in the rough that's off the beaten path, please let me know. Thanks!!

boardie houseofcomics/mark is your best bet.

What's the shops name? Or do I just show up at his front doorstep and demand comics?

When I visited the area he had a basement area under a poster shop in the

Berkley area. I seem to recall something about the poster shop closing so the

situation may have changed. It wasn't really a storefront as I believe he does

most of his business on-line.

Best bet is to send him a PM. Mark is a very nice guy and frankly that is a big

part of the comic buying experience for me. Tell him what you're looking for

and he will help you out or steer you to a decent back issue store.

House of Comics does not have an actual store front.

If you have a car, then try Lee's Comics in Mountain View Lee's Comics . Call first to make sure Lee Hester is at the shop, so he can show you what he has. The employees do not have access to some of the comics.

or Flying Colors in Concord Flying Colors Comics . Again, the old comics may be not priced, call ahead to ensure that Joe Field is at the shop.

or if you are really adventurous, visit A-1 Comics in Sacramento (90 minutes from San Francisco across two toll bridges) A-1 Comics . Brian Peets, retired NFL football player has one of the nicest shops that I have ever seen. He bought an old bank, so he has a bank vault in the shop.

Unfortunately, locally, the selection of SA/GA is very limited. The days of the San Francisco Comic Book Store owned by Gary Arlington and Comics & Comix owned by Bob Beerbohm, John Barrett, and Bud Plant are long gone. Al's Comics and Comic Relief are also closed. Most of the comic shops listed on yelp only have modern comics.

House of Comics does not have an actual store front.

If you have a car, then try Lee's Comics in Mountain View Lee's Comics . Call first to make sure Lee Hester is at the shop, so he can show you what he has. The employees do not have access to some of the comics.

or Flying Colors in Concord Flying Colors Comics . Again, the old comics may be not priced, call ahead to ensure that Joe Field is at the shop.

or if you are really adventurous, visit A-1 Comics in Sacramento (90 minutes from San Francisco across two toll bridges) A-1 Comics . Brian Peets, retired NFL football player has one of the nicest shops that I have ever seen. He bought an old bank, so he has a bank vault in the shop.

Unfortunately, locally, the selection of SA/GA is very limited. The days of the San Francisco Comic Book Store owned by Gary Arlington and Comics & Comix owned by Bob Beerbohm, John Barrett, and Bud Plant are long gone. Al's Comics and Comic Relief are also closed. Most of the comic shops listed on yelp only have modern comics.

That's what I noticed too with the shops I saw online. Mostly modern and graphic novels. Has anyone been in isotope. What is it? A comic store and bar?. Interesting idea but not my style.

I've heard of A-1. I have a friend who lives in sac that told me about it. I'll probably hit that one up when i visit him next.

My LCS (Heroes comics and cards in Fresno, CA) is in a building that was a bank once also and they keep all their top dollar stuff in there as well (or dead bodies, so says the owner). The huge vault looks really cool in the shop.

Thanks for tthe info. I'll look these up if we venture from the city.

Has anyone been in isotope..

When I had a look around it was modern comics and trades there.

Has anyone been in isotope. What is it? A comic store and bar?. Interesting idea but not my style.

Isotope is all current comics including loads of Indy and small press titles. There's also a large TPB section with a reading and lounge area. A large, very clean and brightly lit space with a good bit of local art on display. They sometimes have "events" to celebrate the release of a book and there will be food and drinks. Not a typical comic shop, but very cool that the market will support a place like this.

Has anyone been in isotope..

When I had a look around it was modern comics and trades there.

That actually sounds pretty interesting. I might have to stop by.

James Sime is a very interesting guy to chat with. (thumbs u

Heroes in Campbell is a great comic shop if you get to the San Jose area.

Alan has lots of different SA and GA up on the wall every time I go there.

If I get back to San Francisco sometime I don't really think there's a lot for me downtown there.  I would plan to give Marc / House of Comics a call over in Berkeley, and visit Heroes, as long as that shop is easy to get to by rail, because I won't be driving. (shrug)

Heroes in Campbell is a great comic shop if you get to the San Jose area.

Alan has lots of different SA and GA up on the wall every time I go there.

I lived in the Bay area for 10 years and went to them all. Heroes is the best. A-1 if you make it to Sacramento.

Isotope is tiny, and the selection isn't very good. However, it's next to the Fatted Calf, which has some great meats. (thumbs u

If you want to stay relatively local, hop on BART or drive over to Berkeley and hang out with Marc at houseofcomcs. If you want to drive, I'd recommend Heroes in Campbell or Comic Collector's Shop in Mountain View. But, those are each about an hour's drive out of SF.

Collector's Cave on Union is also pretty small, and while they have some back issues, there's not much in terms of SA or even Bronze.

Flying Colors is my home base. Joe rocks!!

HouseofComics rocks as well. Lots of older stuff.

Lee's comics is ok.

Blue Moon Comics is ok.

A-1 both in sacramento and roseville are ok, not much in the bargin bins, BUT I did manage to pick up my Uncanny X-men 376 from there which completed my 94-544 run.

Amazing Fantasy I wasn't too impressed with.

Waterfront Comics in Suisun City is fantastic, they stayed open late for me one night when i was traveling from napa. Grabbed what I needed and left, been meaning to go back when they weren't pressed for time. They will get repeat business from me.