• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA/SA collection i stumbled on today.

32 posts in this topic

I work for a moving company and am always keeping my eye out for comic collections. So far i have only come across a few modern trades and copper/ modern collections. There was one guy who had about a hundred or so from the early to mid 70s, mostly DC. But today i finally saw what i've been keeping my fingers crossed for. The guy had 5 storage bins full of Golden and Silver age comics. He said they were his dads(probably the GA stuff) and his (probably the SA stuff). As excited as i was to see them, it also broke my heart cuz they were just stacked on top of each other to the max, with no bags and boards, Spine rolls on most of them. But from what i could see (the bins were clear so i could see into them) they mostly looked intact. I know some people dont take their collections to that level, but i just wanted to take them home and put them in their own bags and boards. I got a chance to flip through the first 20 or so in one container and i saw early issues of strange adventures, mystery in space, and the rest were mostly 50s harvey horror (there was 3 Black Cats i saw). I told the guy that if he ever wanted to sell them to give me a call, that i would either buy them or get the best money he can out of them (meaning selling them here for him) and he said he would if he was going to sell them. So im keeping my fingers crossed. I just had to share this. I thought it was pretty cool.

I would call him every 3 months or so and make sure he knows you're a serious buyer.

If he never hears from you again, chances are, you won't ever hear from him again either.

I told the guy that if he ever wanted to sell them to give me a call, that i would either buy them or get the best money he can out of them (meaning selling them here for him) and he said he would if he was going to sell them.

Lucky you! You really should make a case to this guy that no matter what, he needs to put the comics in bags and boards to preserve their value. Even if he doesn't want to sell, he will want to maintain their value. Tell him you'll help him get the comics properly bagged and boarded, and that will give you a foot in the door to build some trust and negotiate other possibilities.

I work for a moving company and am always keeping my eye out for comic collections. So far i have only come across a few modern trades and copper/ modern collections. There was one guy who had about a hundred or so from the early to mid 70s, mostly DC. But today i finally saw what i've been keeping my fingers crossed for. The guy had 5 storage bins full of Golden and Silver age comics. He said they were his dads(probably the GA stuff) and his (probably the SA stuff). As excited as i was to see them, it also broke my heart cuz they were just stacked on top of each other to the max, with no bags and boards, Spine rolls on most of them. But from what i could see (the bins were clear so i could see into them) they mostly looked intact. I know some people dont take their collections to that level, but i just wanted to take them home and put them in their own bags and boards. I got a chance to flip through the first 20 or so in one container and i saw early issues of strange adventures, mystery in space, and the rest were mostly 50s harvey horror (there was 3 Black Cats i saw). I told the guy that if he ever wanted to sell them to give me a call, that i would either buy them or get the best money he can out of them (meaning selling them here for him) and he said he would if he was going to sell them. So im keeping my fingers crossed. I just had to share this. I thought it was pretty cool.

That's pretty cool. I've been in the moving business for 10 years myself. The only thing I've seen so far, was a stack of Playboy's a customer gave to me and my crew as a tip lol I manage a commercial moving company now, so I don't see household storage units very often :(

I would call him every 3 months or so and make sure he knows you're a serious buyer.

If he never hears from you again, chances are, you won't ever hear from him again either.

We exchanged numbers so you better believe I'm gonna be calling him often.

Memo to self: NEVER let excelsior1986 move me... (thumbs u

Good luck, that would be a lot of fun.

Especially if he collected underwear....

Only the crusty kind.

I told the guy that if he ever wanted to sell them to give me a call, that i would either buy them or get the best money he can out of them (meaning selling them here for him) and he said he would if he was going to sell them.

Lucky you! You really should make a case to this guy that no matter what, he needs to put the comics in bags and boards to preserve their value. Even if he doesn't want to sell, he will want to maintain their value. Tell him you'll help him get the comics properly bagged and boarded, and that will give you a foot in the door to build some trust and negotiate other possibilities.

I couldn't express enough to hhim that he needed to put them in bags. I gave him a list of shops for him in town to get bags and boards at. Also told him that mylars would be better and if he wanted to go that route, I would help him get them for cheap. I pretty much told him my whole history of collecting so hhe knows how serious of a collector I am. I just hope he doesn't let them rot.

That's pretty cool. I've been in the moving business for 10 years myself. The only thing I've seen so far, was a stack of Playboy's a customer gave to me and my crew as a tip lol I manage a commercial moving company now, so I don't see household storage units very often :(

Some guys got a huge box full of playboys. (A 4.5 about the third of the way full. Movers here should know how big a 4.5 box is.) We had them sitting in the yard forever. It was break time reading material.

A couple years ago, I had about 60 long boxes of gold/silver and Bronze in a storage unit and a couple month's went by that I didn't pay the fee as I moved and was on an autopay with an expired card. I have nightmares to this day of what would have happened if I would not have went there to eventually sell them.

Someone would have gotten the "wow" factor on that sale. Probably 50k plus worth.

A couple years ago, I had about 60 long boxes of gold/silver and Bronze in a storage unit and a couple month's went by that I didn't pay the fee as I moved and was on an autopay with an expired card. I have nightmares to this day of what would have happened if I would not have went there to eventually sell them.

Someone would have gotten the "wow" factor on that sale. Probably 50k plus worth.

God, I can just imagine you watching Storage Wars and seeing Dave Hestor

buy your locker for $500

Good god, that would have been a nightmare.

I can't stand Dave hestor. He's such a d bag. And where does he get his prices from. When hes goin through stuff saying what hell get for everything, its always like 4x more than what I would pay for it. $200 for a beat up desk? Really? He must think everything he touches literally turns to gold.

Hesters net worth is somewhere around 20 million... he's a d-bag, but he must be doing something right... actually all the people on Storage wars are millionares, now that the show is a hit...

Well, if he owns the property his store is located on in L.A. that might be worth $20 million alone.

But yes, most of the prices he quotes are delusional. He had a stack of vintage baseball cards that were out of my shop's $1-$3 boxes and he was acting like he had $1000 in cards in his hands. I don't think they were even worth that in 1990.

Hesters net worth is somewhere around 20 million... he's a d-bag, but he must be doing something right... actually all the people on Storage wars are millionares, now that the show is a hit...

The man does know how to make money, but he's the epitome of a pip squeek with little syndrome to the max. I don't know him as a person, but if he's different in real life, I don't know why you would want tto potray yourself that way on national television. Unless if they write him a big fat check. Which would still be an example of the person he really is. I would still love to have his job though, so i gotta give the man props there.

That's pretty cool. I've been in the moving business for 10 years myself. The only thing I've seen so far, was a stack of Playboy's a customer gave to me and my crew as a tip lol

I sincerely hope you didn't spend it all in one place.

lol one of the guys who worked for me on the job ended up taking them all. It was a file drawer sized stack. I spent a year and a half moving households, and not one house I moved ever had any comic books.

Um do you understand how "reality" tv really works. Any idea what most people actually earn per show when it comes to a show like Storage Wars? You think Brandi and her turd husband are millionaires?

I find it really funny that most of the general public think all these figures on these shows are rich because of these shows. The majority of these folks are lucky to get a couple grand at most per episode of these reality tv shows. The folks on Storage Wars are no exception. Unless they actually own the rights to the show also these folks are not millionaires from the show.