• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT? A boys dream

48 posts in this topic

I was reading a comic I got today (Strange Adventures #10 1951) and stumbled across an ad for a Schwinn Black Phantom and fell in love. I couldn't even imagine how badly I would have wanted this bike if i were a boy in 1951 reading this comic and saw this ad. I could imagine myself raking leaves or some other job I probably would have made 10 cents an hour for. And I would have raked all the leaves in the whole damn world for that bike. Has anyone ever had something in a comic or magazine ad that they just had to have and did you get it? ( lets hear those sea monkeys, Christmas cards or flower seed stories)

P5011247.jpg

I sold those personalized Christmas cards that were advertised in comic books. I went door-to-door for months. Turns out, I was a pretty good salesman. I ended up with enough points for the telescope I wanted. The body turned out to be a large diameter cardboard tube, but it actually worked fairly well. My customers were happy too; the cards were good quality and nicely printed with their names.

This was in addition to my paper route and my lawn mowing business. I wonder how many kids these days actually work to get their Xboxes, iPhones, iPads, etc.?

As a little kid I thought that Sea Monkeys actually looked like they did in the ad. i.e. Little pink, scale covered humanoid creatures! I really wanted them until some of the later ad's showed what they actually looked like, (tiny shrimps!). Boy, was I disappointed! :tonofbricks:

I really wanted one of these when I was about 14, when I was into REH, Conan, Red Sonja....,

redsonja.jpg

Can't recall where I first saw it - but I absolutely had to have one (and got one from my awesome mother)

6674946243_a854dd8680_z.jpg

Yeah, rode it when I was a lad!

I had one too, and my brother and I figured out that you could use them to flip over Big Wheels. All you had to do was catch up behind someone on a Big Wheel and use the front tire of the Green Machine to slow down one of the back wheels of the BW until it flipped to that side. Luckily we never killed or seriously injured anyone.

I really wanted one of these when I was about 14, when I was into REH, Conan, Red Sonja....,

redsonja.jpg

This picture is quickly becoming my favorite Con picture OF ALL TIME.

redsonja.jpg

This one is good, but have you seen Poison Ivy?

redsonja.jpg

This one is good, but have you seen Poison Ivy?

:popcorn: