• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Checking out 2 original owner collections today

58 posts in this topic

Wish me luck.

As we all know, finding original owner golden age collections is not very common and today I get to check out not one, but two! Even if I don't get to buy them, it's always a blast going through those sweet books.

Collection one is only 50 books. The only 2 books that I know are there for sure are All-Select 1 and All-Winners 1. There are a few more Timely's, as well as some Actions and TECs from the same era. I'm meeting the grandson who is helping his grandmother raise some cash for a new roof. He told me he remembers his grandfather reading these to him as bedtime stories. He also said he feels sentimental towards Superman and not towards Cap because he never liked the Cap stories. This works well for me.

Collection two is 300 books all purchased off the stand by the owner. Again, I don't know too much of what to expect. I know there are only about 15 or 20 super-hero books but I'm excited. I like not knowing what to expect when it comes to golden age.

I'll update this later tonight or tomorrow, hopefully with pics!

Rob

Here's the story...Part 1

I met the first guy at a Starbucks. He told me he had 50 books to sell. He showed up with 11. None of the Detectives or Timely's I was really looking forward to.

He brought the All-Select 1, All-Winners 1, 8 Actions, and Green Llama 5.

The All-Select 1 was about 1.5, possibly 1.8. Cover detached and a few pieces out of cover. He told me he had an offer for $3600 from a comic shop in NYC. I told him to run and take it as soon as he could! The All Winners 1 was really ragged out and he had some crazy offer on that as well.

Onto the Actions. I was able to pick up the following 7 books. Sorry but scanner isn't working well right now. There was a really solid 36 as well but it was missing the centerfold :pullhair:

The process was a little strange though. He told me he wanted someone who was going to take care of them. These were his grandfather's so he's sentimental about them. He's selling to give the money to his grandmother to help with some home expenses. I told him I would, but that I also sell off the stuff I won't be holding onto. So I gave him my best offer, which was probably too much, but I figured can't go too wrong on these. He said he'd have to think about it. I left and 3 minutes later he called me and said let's do it. I pulled over and we did the transaction in a parking lot.

As he was leaving my car he said "you better take care of these dude. If I see them online I'm gonna come after you", to which I sheepishly replied, "ok." Then he followed and left with this, "I'm serious man, I know people...a lot of people."

There's nothing like someone presenting you something for sale, you giving them an offer which is accepted, and when the goods exchange hands you are threatened by the seller that you are not allowed to resell. Left me with an odd feeling. At least I did say I'll definitely be selling the 24 since I already have it. I'm covered on that one.

t001.jpg

t002.jpg

t003.jpg

t004.jpg

Congrats! I look forward to seeing pics from the 2nd collection too :)

Thanks!

The other collection is 300 low grade books. I'm actually going to do a sales thread for those because I want to blow out as many of the books I don't want as I can. Check that thread for pics.

The seller sold the books. What the new owner does with them isn't his business at all. I don't understand people like. There your books, you made an offer and he accepted it. That is the end of his decisions. Good luck with your books. Sell them, keep them, slab them, etc.

If your going to sell them . I hope you offer them up hear here first.

Good looing books BTW. Good Luck with the sales if this is what your going to do with most of them.

He's actually a cool guy.

Just very attached to the comics so he wants to know they are going to a good home.

I just got a call from him. He decided to sell me the All Winners 1 and All Select 1 (worship)

Picking them up shortly

He's actually a cool guy.

Just very attached to the comics so he wants to know they are going to a good home.

I just got a call from him. He decided to sell me the All Winners 1 and All Select 1 (worship)

Picking them up shortly

Congrats!

Of course he did. Once he called the "New York store" about that $3600 price and got summarily rejected, he came back to you.

Well done on some cool books. It'd be nice if they were higher grade but 2 mega keys you can't go wrong.

Ed

Here's the story...Part 1

I met the first guy at a Starbucks. He told me he had 50 books to sell. He showed up with 11. None of the Detectives or Timely's I was really looking forward to.

He brought the All-Select 1, All-Winners 1, 8 Actions, and Green Llama 5.

The All-Select 1 was about 1.5, possibly 1.8. Cover detached and a few pieces out of cover. He told me he had an offer for $3600 from a comic shop in NYC. I told him to run and take it as soon as he could! The All Winners 1 was really ragged out and he had some crazy offer on that as well.

Onto the Actions. I was able to pick up the following 7 books. Sorry but scanner isn't working well right now. There was a really solid 36 as well but it was missing the centerfold :pullhair:

The process was a little strange though. He told me he wanted someone who was going to take care of them. These were his grandfather's so he's sentimental about them. He's selling to give the money to his grandmother to help with some home expenses. I told him I would, but that I also sell off the stuff I won't be holding onto. So I gave him my best offer, which was probably too much, but I figured can't go too wrong on these. He said he'd have to think about it. I left and 3 minutes later he called me and said let's do it. I pulled over and we did the transaction in a parking lot.

As he was leaving my car he said "you better take care of these dude. If I see them online I'm gonna come after you", to which I sheepishly replied, "ok." Then he followed and left with this, "I'm serious man, I know people...a lot of people."

There's nothing like someone presenting you something for sale, you giving them an offer which is accepted, and when the goods exchange hands you are threatened by the seller that you are not allowed to resell. Left me with an odd feeling. At least I did say I'll definitely be selling the 24 since I already have it. I'm covered on that one.

That story is so New Jersey, having grown up there I can say that! Congratulations on the great find and I told Vinny to leave you alone. You are in luck as he collects Actions and will settle for some books.