• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is being undermined via PM on a "done deal" here a common thing?

196 posts in this topic

I quit shipping to Canada and overseas unless the person involved is a personal friend or I have had successful transactions with them in the past. Too much of a pain in the arse.
Screw Canadians and all foreigners.

:boo:

:foryou:

I've seen instances where the seller claimed he couldn't find the book or had mistakenly listed a book he no longer owned but in general I find it hard to believe.

I sold the same book to two different people at the same time. I didn't notice until I had already mailed it to the buyer who paid the book off first. I apologized to the second buyer and refunded his money in full. Like I said before, mess happens.

:cry:

It was either X-Men 32 or 36 and it was between you and gcuguy, or something like that, out in California.

I quit shipping to Canada and overseas unless the person involved is a personal friend or I have had successful transactions with them in the past. Too much of a pain in the arse.
Screw Canadians and all foreigners.

:boo:

:foryou:

:acclaim:

:facepalm:

Let me see... Checking once... Checking twice... Nope, you aren't on the list of personal friends or successful transactions.

He's very demanding anyway. He wants to get his books within a 6 month time frame.

Don't you mean 6 minutes?

While I don't consider myself a n00b here anymore, perhaps some more senior members of the boards can enlighten me as to whether they've experienced regularly (as a buyer or as a seller) an attempt by a fellow boardie to undermine via PM a transaction they've conducted/concluded here in a public thread.

I would think this is poor form and generally frowned upon, but maybe it happens more regularly than I thought...?

The context: seller X posts in a thread a book at a great price that I'd love to have, but unfortunately I'm too slow to post the :takeit: gremlin and someone else snags it. I compliment buyer Y on the great buy via PM and mention in all seriousness that if ever he wants to turn the book around to me at a profit, I'd be willing to make him an offer, no problem. Buyer Y thanks me for my interest but laments that after he claimed the book with his own "Take It", the seller told him via PM that the book was no longer available (all this within about 90 minutes of it being originally posted), leaving both the would-be buyer and myself with the unshakeable impression that someone had PM'd the seller an offer superior to his listing price on the book and he opted to "go private" with the sale to make some extra $$$.

I guess at the end of the day the seller is entitled to get the most he can for his book, and an aggressive buyer can go the PM route to usurp a potential "done deal" in a thread, but the whole thing kind of stinks, in my view (and I'm sure it's even more aggravating for the original would-be buyer!). Naturally it would be naive to assume these types of things don't happen, but I'm curious about the frequency of it.

Interested on your thoughts on the etiquette and appropriateness of the whole thing.

You state that ultimately a seller can get the most for his book and ignore the :takeit: but it is certainly unethical both on the part of the seller and the

highest bidder.

I've seen instances where the seller claimed he couldn't find the book or had

mistakenly listed a book he no longer owned but in general I find it hard to believe.

I'll be honest, it does happen about losing a book. A few weeks back I went to relist a single comic on ebay and I have the scan but cannot find the book. I don't recall selling or trading it. I have no record of doing either but the book isn't in my sale pile. It isn't with any of my comics. Strange. Luckily when I original listed it, it didn't sell.

I was told the book was "listed accidentally" and that it was "promised to another buyer". I wasn't going to get into it in public, but the more I think about it, the more it bugs me.

Not only did I post ::takeit:: immediately, I had even PMed about the books in question BEFORE they were posted, so something is...well, I don't know what.

I didn't want to out anybody here, just generate the discussion...

But given this is now out in the open, ETR and myself could only speculate as to what was going on. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, and of course, maybe some of you would contend that even if what we speculated happened, happened, that it's well within the seller's right to do so and he's guilty of nothing at all.

Again, just seeing where "the community" stands on this.

Are you referring to the potential PayPal/chargeback issues? The other reason I keep hearing is that it's a pain to ship to Canada because of all the paperwork. I guess I'm imaging something as time consuming (or maybe moreso) than for me to ship International.

I've had situations where I was first in line expressing a commitment to take the item, and the seller refused because he was looking for a U.S. buyer (even though there was no US only condition specified in the listing). It sucked when it all went down, but ultimately it's best handled by moving on. 2c

I'm willing to ship to Canada :foryou:

:blush:

:whee:

I've had situations where I was first in line expressing a commitment to take the item, and the seller refused because he was looking for a U.S. buyer (even though there was no US only condition specified in the listing). It sucked when it all went down, but ultimately it's best handled by moving on. 2c

He lives in Canada.

He lives in Canada.

I know. I've dealt with thehumantorch. The way sellers are restricting shipping to Canucks these days, it's a cause for celebration whenever anyone steps-up.

I PM'd a seller, saying I wanted one of the books he was selling and asked if he shipped to the UK. It was about 2 am my time so I went to bed. The following afternoon I check my PM's and the seller says they ship to the UK and I can have the book for price X. I message back immediately and say thanks and can I have his paypal address to send the payment. Some time later I get a reply saying sorry he'd sold it to to somebody else in between offering it to me and my reply.

mess happens.