• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Are People Thinking With These Vampirellas?

40 posts in this topic

Lighthouse's Hulk #181 story was an aberration because it took place before people had caught on to the CGC phenomenon. From what I have seen and what others have said, the first copy or two usually fetches the highest price and then subsequent prices tail off, often dramatically once the demand from the "gotta have it first at any price" crowd has been satisfied.

This may be true for high grade bronze's and modern's, where the supply far exceeded demand at those kinds of prices. But it has not proven to be the case for high grade early SA and GA, where the demand has continued to exceed perceived supply. The prices realized at the Greg Manning auction in 1999 for high grade SA, which seemed insane at the time, look like total bargains today.

This may be true for high grade bronze's and modern's, where the supply far exceeded demand at those kinds of prices. But it has not proven to be the case for high grade early SA and GA, where the demand has continued to exceed perceived supply. The prices realized at the Greg Manning auction in 1999 for high grade SA, which seemed insane at the time, look like total bargains today.

I agree, but I was discounting any sales that occurred in 1999 - bargains (compared to today) were available in Bronze and Modern then as well. The phenomenon I was describing was mostly a 2000-early 2001 one. Also, since I know you are familiar with markets, you must realize that lesser quality assets in the same category always top out first and quality tops out last. The fact that many Bronze/Modern books have already topped out while HG Bronze keys and HG SA have continued higher into this year should be a warning sign, not an "all-clear".

I think these graded magazines, being a recent phenomenon, are likely to be on a different cycle than the rest of the market, however.

This has got to be the most ridiculously overvalued segment of the comic market right now...how much longer can this go on? When will Chris Bell's bizarro "Brewster's Millions"-like spending spree come to an end? Seems like other people are bidding these books up to crazy levels as well...I can only guess that they fear ast1155td will corner the market at the rate he's going. Personally, I have no doubt that supply will eventually catch up to demand and these crack-pipe prices will plummet, just as what happened with not difficult-to-find comics (think Peter Parker #1) after a while with CGC. foreheadslap.gif

Take a look at some of these choice results:

VAMPIRELLA # 8 CGC 9.8 $2,066.00

VAMPIRELLA # 12 CGC 9.8 $1,137.13

VAMPIRELLA # 15 CGC 9.8 $850.00

VAMPIRELLA # 6 CGC 9.6 $660.00

VAMPIRELLA # 14 CGC 9.6 $585.99

VAMPIRELLA # 7 CGC 9.4 $405.00

VAMPIRELLA # 25 CGC 9.6 $338.00

VAMPIRELLA #82 CGC 9.8 $279.99

VAMPIRELLA # 112 CGC 9.4 $255.00

VAMPIRELLA #15 CGC NM 9.4 $227.50

VAMPIRELLA # 109 CGC 9.4 $207.50

VAMPIRELLA #88 CGC 9.4 $183.01

VAMPIRELLA #5 CGC 9.2 $161.06

VAMPIRELLA #4 CGC 9.0 $159.99

VAMPIRELLA #94 CGC 9.4 $151.50

VAMPIRELLA #8 CGC 9.0 $127.50

Raising this one form the dead to see how these have faired. Latest GPA to Right.

What's interesting to see is a few things. Many selling for less, some holding their price relatively stable some higher. Also it's interesting to see that the last sell for some of these in grade are 2005-2009. 5-10 years ago.

VAMPIRELLA # 8 CGC 9.8 $2,066.00 : ($1800 : 2009)

VAMPIRELLA # 12 CGC 9.8 $1,137.13 : ($538 : 2007)

VAMPIRELLA # 15 CGC 9.8 $850.00 : ($388 : 2007)

VAMPIRELLA # 6 CGC 9.6 $660.00 : ($300 : 2013)

VAMPIRELLA # 14 CGC 9.6 $585.99 : ($275 : 2011)

VAMPIRELLA # 7 CGC 9.4 $405.00 : ($236 : 2013)

VAMPIRELLA # 25 CGC 9.6 $338.00 : ($124 : 2013)

VAMPIRELLA #82 CGC 9.8 $279.99 : ($357 : 2005)

VAMPIRELLA # 112 CGC 9.4 $255.00 : ($148 : 2014)

VAMPIRELLA #15 CGC NM 9.4 $227.50 : ($89 : 2011)

VAMPIRELLA # 109 CGC 9.4 $207.50 : ($104 : 2010)

VAMPIRELLA #88 CGC 9.4 $183.01 : ($183 : 2004)

VAMPIRELLA #5 CGC 9.2 $161.06 : ($207 : 2013)

VAMPIRELLA #4 CGC 9.0 $159.99 : ($84 : 2012)

VAMPIRELLA #94 CGC 9.4 $151.50 : ($169 : 2010)

VAMPIRELLA #8 CGC 9.0 $127.50 : ($109 : 2014)

- bounty

I also think that due to many of these books not coming to market as often as some comparably aged comics in similar grades may cause certain loss of interest and cause prices to fluctuate more and sometimes books selling for less due to some of the audience being on "vacation".

I have an idea of what makes comic books valuable but I have been wrong so often in the past that my comments are just about useless.

I have been reading Vampirella in book form. I am on book three now, with two more to go. There are not a pleasant read. The stories are overwritten and stupid. The art felt like a breath of fresh air at the time they were drawn but soon the charm wore off. The artists drew realistically with loads of ornamental accents, but they really couldn't tell a story. Now, I look forward to the occasional story in the mix by a Pat Boyette or a Jerry Grandenetti, two men with some talent but zero fan following. Wild speculation here but maybe those two men would work for a rate that matched that of the Spanish and Filipino artists.

Vampirella had a really sparse and tight costume. From the first issue me and the gang thought it was a ridiculous exploitation. But it could be that near nudity is enough to carry a title into the world of film and the broader culture. If it does, then the value of Vampirella comics will go up. More speculators will buy them.

As a kid I loved the Avengers, Superman and Batman and the rest of the superheroes that are now being made into film. I wished that others could feel the joy that I did when reading those comics. Now everyone knows the thrill. Vampirella never gave me that thrill. I would have felt like a fool reading it on a bus.

I have an idea of what makes comic books valuable but I have been wrong so often in the past that my comments are just about useless.

I have been reading Vampirella in book form. I am on book three now, with two more to go. There are not a pleasant read. The stories are overwritten and stupid. The art felt like a breath of fresh air at the time they were drawn but soon the charm wore off. The artists drew realistically with loads of ornamental accents, but they really couldn't tell a story. Now, I look forward to the occasional story in the mix by a Pat Boyette or a Jerry Grandenetti, two men with some talent but zero fan following. Wild speculation here but maybe those two men would work for a rate that matched that of the Spanish and Filipino artists.

Vampirella had a really sparse and tight costume. From the first issue me and the gang thought it was a ridiculous exploitation. But it could be that near nudity is enough to carry a title into the world of film and the broader culture. If it does, then the value of Vampirella comics will go up. More speculators will buy them.

As a kid I loved the Avengers, Superman and Batman and the rest of the superheroes that are now being made into film. I wished that others could feel the joy that I did when reading those comics. Now everyone knows the thrill. Vampirella never gave me that thrill. I would have felt like a fool reading it on a bus.

Nice to see a discussion of a collectible's value that centers on the quality of the material itself, rather than just the ebb and flow of prices.

My own theory is that the value is related not only to the GGA cover aspect, but also to the popularity of the "sexy vampire" genre in cable TV dramas (like "True Blood'), which goes hand-in-hand with the renewed popularity of the zombie genre due to "Walking Dead." It also aligns pretty well with the ever-increasing prevalence of sexy, skimpy female costuming at Comic-Con. None of which has anything to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of the original Vampirella stories.

Nice to see a discussion of a collectible's value that centers on the quality of the material itself, rather than just the ebb and flow of prices.

My own theory is that the value is related not only to the GGA cover aspect, but also to the popularity of the "sexy vampire" genre in cable TV dramas (like "True Blood'), which goes hand-in-hand with the renewed popularity of the zombie genre due to "Walking Dead." It also aligns pretty well with the ever-increasing prevalence of sexy, skimpy female costuming at Comic-Con. None of which has anything to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of the original Vampirella stories.

Yuuuuup :grin: The other facet is the covers are just gorgeous. Beautiful Women are admired by both Men AND Women. The market spans beyond just Males who find that their DNA gravitates them towards the beautiful artwork of beautiful women :insane:

Sorry, I just de-railed it from the "quality of material" topic again :sorry:

i had a deadly hands 2 in 9.2 that i got for well under guide and for the life of me i could not unload the darn thing after multiple attempts, finally i got back what i paid for it

I really like the cover art to a lot of those old Warren books, especially the Vampirellas. Although I only have 4 in my personal collection, those do include copies of #3 and #113. :)

HI, completely new here, just joined a few moths ago and first time chatting. Saw the Vampirella talk. I just acquired a beautiful collection of Vamp magazines (#1 - #21 w/ Annual #1) (missing only #5) they are in incredible condition.

Was wondering if they are worth getting graded.......

All are for sale

I just acquired a beautiful collection of Vamp magazines (#1 - #21 w/ Annual #1) (missing only #5) they are in incredible condition.

Was wondering if they are worth getting graded.......

All are for sale.

While I might be interested in adding to my collection of raw Vampirella magazines, I simply have no interest in paying any extra for slabbed copies.

(shrug)

Why of course you should get them graded,That's quite a windfall to acquire a run of that magnitude. :applause:

Pics please,and welcome to the boards. (thumbs u

Why exactly would you want to grade them?

Unless you wish to sell and think you can take advantage of the numerous retarded collectors who pay insane premiums for a subjective -shoot, then what reason on earth exists to ever slab a mag or comic book???

Can you not grade your own books to your own satisfaction?

I ask in all seriousness.

Why of course you should get them graded,That's quite a windfall to acquire a run of that magnitude. :applause:

Why exactly would you want to grade them? Personally I would grade the first ten issues for my own self..

Unless you wish to sell and think you can take advantage of the numerous retarded collectors who pay insane premiums for a subjective -shoot, then what reason on earth exists to ever slab a mag or comic book??? If I had this windfall I wouldn't sell at all.

Can you not grade your own books to your own satisfaction? Oh I can grade just fine,actually I under grade a tad.

I ask in all seriousness. Don't quite know if you're kidding,but....

Hopefully I answered to your satisfaction.

Why exactly would you want to grade them? Unless you wish to sell and think you can take advantage of the numerous retarded collectors who pay insane premiums for a subjective -shoot....

I suspect that's the market he's targetting.

:gossip:

Why exactly would you want to grade them?

Unless you wish to sell and think you can take advantage of the numerous retarded collectors who pay insane premiums for a subjective -shoot, then what reason on earth exists to ever slab a mag or comic book???

Can you not grade your own books to your own satisfaction?

I ask in all seriousness.

It is a terrible thing when someone would like to have more money than they might otherwise have. The only fair thing would be to send it to me.