• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NM/M Prices all over the map?

59 posts in this topic

Is it imagination or are some people & dealers listing their mint & near mint books at ridiculously high prices? In some cases the book value is way below the selling price. Its almost like anarchy when it comes to some of these bloated nm/m prices.

Is it imagination or are some people & dealers listing their mint & near mint books at ridiculously high prices? In some cases the book value is way below the selling price. Its almost like anarchy when it comes to some of these bloated nm/m prices.

I'm not sure where to start with this. :eek:

Are you saying that people should sell their 9.6 and 9.8 books for 9.2 prices? If so, why should they? Also, if you convince them that you are right, please have them PM me.

Most of the books I want, I can't afford in NM anyways - so at least I'm not affected. However, on some modern books - I think there is a definite 9.8 obsession out there right now, and I think that sellers are cashing in on buyers who are mislead to think all NM raw books are going to come back 9.8s.

I don't think I will ever take someone's word that a book is a 9.8 and pay a premium for a raw. I'll pay a NM price for a NM book, but not interested in a premium just because some guy *thinks* it will be a 9.8.

Most of the books I want, I can't afford in NM anyways - so at least I'm not affected. However, on some modern books - I think there is a definite 9.8 obsession out there right now, and I think that sellers are cashing in on buyers who are mislead to think all NM raw books are going to come back 9.8s.

I don't think I will ever take someone's word that a book is a 9.8 and pay a premium for a raw. I'll pay a NM price for a NM book, but not interested in a premium just because some guy *thinks* it will be a 9.8.

There are many people on these Boards from whom I buy raw Coppers and moderns at huge premiums because when they say they are 9.8, they are.

There are many people on these Boards from whom I buy raw Coppers and moderns at huge premiums because when they say they are 9.8, they are.

I think this place is loaded with expert graders - much more so than Ebay. I'm comfortable with how people grade here - but I won't pay a premium on a 9.8 raw because someone thinks it'll come back 9.8. I pay a premium for a CGC book that has a 9.8 number on it - to get hit twice on a book (once when you buy it, then the cost of submitting) just because it's a high grade is not something I'm willing to do. That might ace me out of some auctions or books, but that's okay, I can live with it.

I'm not talking about on here. I'm talking about Comiclink eBay etc. I will pull examples..

Actually, that's what I meant when I first responded. I should have stated I was talking about Ebay. My comments are not directed towards the sellers here - I love buying stuff here!

I think this place is loaded with expert graders - much more so than Ebay. I'm comfortable with how people grade here - but I won't pay a premium on a 9.8 raw because someone thinks it'll come back 9.8. I pay a premium for a CGC book that has a 9.8 number on it - to get hit twice on a book (once when you buy it, then the cost of submitting) just because it's a high grade is not something I'm willing to do. That might ace me out of some auctions or books, but that's okay, I can live with it.

Don't disagree, but here is my point. If book X has a 9.2 guide price of $3.00 and CGC 9.8 price of $50. I put a WTB for $12 for two raw 9.6+ copies. The Seller is getting 24 bucks for two books that he would $6 for at a show, if anyone wanted them. I don't have to pay the $50, I get my books SS'd and they come back 9.6 or 9.8 - everybody wins.

I'm not talking about on here. I'm talking about Comiclink eBay etc. I will pull examples..

From what I have read of your posts, you sold off most of your collection 15 years ago. If you were used to the pre-CGC prices for 9.8's then that is part of the confusion and you may be off base. If you are looking at 9.9's and 10.0's then I would agree with you that some people are just crazy.

The price guide lists Tales to Astonish 49 at 9.4 (Near Mint) $320.00 RAW & $640.00 CGC. On Ebay someone has it listed for $2,599.99 CGC. Link I come across this all the time.

Last GPA Sale (2010) in 9.4 was last year - $3038

West Penn sold in 2009 for $2500

Twin Cities (9.6) sold in 2011 for $3585

I know there is a listing for Star Wars #1 on eBay. The guy claims it is 9.8 or better and asking 399.00 reduced down from 499.00. He has 5 copies available that came from an uncirculated, unread box.

Looking at the pics the book looks like a 9.4 to me.