• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who collects date stamps?

27 posts in this topic

Curious as how many people collect books with date stamps.

If there is a preference between hand written pencil and rubber stamped ink dates?

Also is there a data base as to tell you which week and month specific books came out.

I thought it would be cool to try and nail some books with important dates on them.

I prefer a full date rubber stamp over hand written ones on my GA books.

Yeah, actual stamps are far cooler than scribbled notations. Store stamps are cool too. But NO stamp is cool if it obscures the art :sumo:

I don't collect date stamps, but I do enjoy getting a book with a nice clean stamp.

The rubber stamps are quite fun and an integral part of the book's history.

I don't care as much from penciled dates but they don't bother me. The only ones I don't care for are the big scrawly grease marker types. Those usually deface a book enough that I don't enjoy it as much as if it wasn't there....although I have a few of those in my collection, too.

I prefer a full date rubber stamp over hand written ones on my GA books.

Yeah, actual stamps are far cooler than scribbled notations. Store stamps are cool too. But NO stamp is cool if it obscures the art :sumo:

+1

Thanks for the references.

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Does anyone know about what time period the local drug stores stopped dating books?

Once the direct market began circa. 1976 (mas o menos). The purpose of a date stamp or notation by mom & pop shops was to keep track of when the unsold book could be returned to the distributor for credit.

I like full date stamps in ink that include the year, particularly the ones I bought off the rack myself.

To be able to look through my books & know I bought both an ASM 178 and Avengers 169 on Dec 19, 1977 is kinda cool. The first few years of collecting, the randomness of buying a bunch of K-mart multi-paks followed by about 3 years of newsstand buying are the most nostalgic for me - the date stamps add something to that.

Does anyone know what the oldest date stamp on a book is? - I can't recall seeing any from before the 1950s.

Years ago when I was a teenager, I had a Showcase 22 with a handwritten date that was in a few days of the day I was born ( I forget the exact date), which I thought was pretty cool. My impression is that from the 50s through the 70s comics arrived in most stores on Tues and Thurs, so I imagine if one was born on a different day back then, finding stamps for that day might be hard.