• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's been 50 YEARS show us your books from 1962

446 posts in this topic

Harry, long time no post. Hope everything is going well.

And beautiful comics! That was a heck of a day you had at Sid's. It's incredible to realize those two iconic comic characters were introduced the same month.

Likewise Harry! (thumbs u I think that was the first AF 15 posted :headbang: ...too obvious! lol

( :gossip: btw...just picked up my second Sid's Luncheonette FF 19 (thx drummy!) to go along with my FF 21 (both 9.0 old label)... :cloud9:

.....Sid's Luncheonette :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Harry, long time no post. Hope everything is going well.

And beautiful comics! That was a heck of a day you had at Sid's. It's incredible to realize those two iconic comic characters were introduced the same month.

Likewise Harry! (thumbs u I think that was the first AF 15 posted :headbang: ...too obvious! lol

( :gossip: btw...just picked up my second Sid's Luncheonette FF 19 (thx drummy!) to go along with my FF 21 (both 9.0 old label)... :cloud9:

Early FF's in high grade and old Labels... :cloud9:

RK26FFeb62.jpg

The Grand Comicbook Database says it's Ayers inking Kirby -- but the line work says Ditko to me. Agree/disagree?

I had to pull out my copy for a better look. Certain elements look that way, but the figures at least more more like Ayers to me. Other Ditko inks over Kirby, take Hulk #2 or FF #13 for example, scream Ditko so I'm on the fence.

In a similar vein, the backup story in ASM #8, "Spider-Man Tackles the Torch," is credited to Ditko on the splash page credits, but it sure looks like George Roussos to me. Plus, he was inking Kirby on the FF at that point. Anybody have thoughts on that?

RK26FFeb62.jpg

The Grand Comicbook Database says it's Ayers inking Kirby -- but the line work says Ditko to me. Agree/disagree?

I had to pull out my copy for a better look. Certain elements look that way, but the figures at least more more like Ayers to me. Other Ditko inks over Kirby, take Hulk #2 or FF #13 for example, scream Ditko so I'm on the fence.

In a similar vein, the backup story in ASM #8, "Spider-Man Tackles the Torch," is credited to Ditko on the splash page credits, but it sure looks like George Roussos to me. Plus, he was inking Kirby on the FF at that point. Anybody have thoughts on that?

Not that I see Ditko everywhere*, but I can see Ditko in ASM #8 -- just a Ditko that was sticking pretty close to Kirby's pencil especially with regards to the spotting.

I don't know who else I could give those inks to -- George (Bell) Roussos had a vibrant scratchy line with dramatic spotting that I like a lot -- almost crude in places but very much an effective style. The Thing in ASM #8, a contemporary with FF #22, does share the same distinctive rocky surface as Roussos' work but the two issues side-by-side are clearly by a different hand.

Jack Kirby/George Roussos FF #22

RoussosFF22.jpg

Jack Kirby/Steve Ditko ASM #8

DitkoASM8.jpg

* I am willing to give Ayers the cover to RK but the underside of the cliff looks very Ditko-like. hm