• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees, Pressing, and Population.

68 posts in this topic

I understand what you are saying Pat, but you get out of collecting what you put into it. This is a hobby that is what YOU make of it.

I have never understood why people only want to collect what they perceive is hard to find. Who cares if it is hard to find if you don't like it? And I don't care what everyone else is collecting either. Why should I collect books that other people like and I don't really care about?

And I don't care if I have the only high grade copies of a book. I want a copy that makes me happy. If there are 2 more or 42 more, I don't really care.

I am slowly methodically putting 2 or 3 runs of really high grade books that I like (for me) and they are predominantly Bronze Age books. I don't find them all the time, but when I get a book in, I like it.

At the same time, I am like Brian. I love beautiful books, especially Silver Age books, and honestly, I appreciate them more when they are raw. You don't get the feel for freshness, color, gloss, etc when they are in a slab. I don't care whether the book is technically perfect. I can have great appreciation for a super clean and glossy 1963 DC book, regardless of the title. You may slap a slab on it and turn it into a 9.0, but the beauty of the book is not adequately described by the grade.

Here are some collecting goals that I have thought about pursuing.

9.8 set of Superboy & the Legion of Super-heroes #197 - 259 (currently working on)

9.8 set of Warlock, and appearances (currently working on)

9.4 or better copies of all Neal Adams Marvel & DC covers

complete EC Horror/Sci Fi set in 8.0 or better

complete Spider-man set (probably 1 - 328) in 9.4 or better (probably won't ever do this, as I would rather have the money I could get for the #1 than the book). Might do it with a restored #1 though. (probably have at least 80% of these raw already)

Superman #1 - 10, or maybe 1 - 24

GGA Classic cover set (Phantom Lady #17, Brenda Star #14, Startling #49, etc)

complete DC grey tone set in high grade (probably raw)

9.4 or better DC Bronze Horror set (probably have most of these already)

There are other things that I would like to have as well. This is pretty easy for me. I could probably add 10 or more collecting ideas to the list. And it is alot of fun to think about.

However, I am not focused on collecting right now. I have two young kids and I have other things that are simply more important to me than collecting comics at this point in my life. Sounds weird with what I do, but I don't want to spend my life collecting "stuff". I would rather do stuff and spend time with the people that I care about.

As far as the pedigrees, pressing, and whatever...who cares. Do you know how many Pedigrees (especially Silver Age) are still out there????? Hundreds and hundreds. The original owners are just now getting to an age to really start selling them. There are lots of nice collections that have never seen the light of day. But guess what. There are still lots of people who want those books.

I know some people don't agree, but I don't care if the book came from a museum curator, or from Detroit, or Minnesota, or the Rocky Mountains. I personally would judge each book on its own merit. If the book is super fresh, well centered, has nice color, nice gloss, white pages and 9.4 structure, why would I pay more for a similar copy which happened to be owned by someone I don't know and never will know? So there is a story behind it? Who cares? There is a story behind my books too....the only difference is that story hasn't been told. ( I will concede that there are a few GA pedigrees, Mile High in particular, that are a little different, just because of the importance to the hobby).

Anyway, do what makes you happy. Maybe that is not comics anymore. You have to figure that out on your own.

(I would love to know how Greggy seems to have an almost limitless supply of HG goodness for instance).

He sold his soul for some 9.8 100 pagers.

Sounds like the seller got the shaft. ;)

As far as the pedigrees, pressing, and whatever...who cares. Do you know how many Pedigrees (especially Silver Age) are still out there????? Hundreds and hundreds. The original owners are just now getting to an age to really start selling them. There are lots of nice collections that have never seen the light of day. But guess what. There are still lots of people who want those books.

I know some people don't agree, but I don't care if the book came from a museum curator, or from Detroit, or Minnesota, or the Rocky Mountains. I personally would judge each book on its own merit. If the book is super fresh, well centered, has nice color, nice gloss, white pages and 9.4 structure, why would I pay more for a similar copy which happened to be owned by someone I don't know and never will know? So there is a story behind it? Who cares? There is a story behind my books too....the only difference is that story hasn't been told. ( I will concede that there are a few GA pedigrees, Mile High in particular, that are a little different, just because of the importance to the hobby).

Anyway, do what makes you happy. Maybe that is not comics anymore. You have to figure that out on your own.

:golfclap: and (worship)

I enjoy my Silver age Marvels! I collect runs and am just about to finish Avengers 1-25 and TOS 39-99. I cannot afford uber-high grade so I look for eye appeal and affordable quality. Although I admire the covers and buy many based on the cover appeal, there is still nothing like reading a good Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby or ASM issue and reliving the "magic". If all you have are slabs, you are missing the great stories. So, I have reader copies and Marvel Tales/Collectible Classics to be able to see the inside art and read the wonderful stories. Sometimes I buy with the intention to flip, but not so much anymore, especially since Ebay is mostly overpriced BIN listings these days. I have a few SS books (Stan, Todd McFarlane, Frank Brunner, Gene Colan and Joe Simon) that I am proud to own.

So, seasons will pass, but I hope to keep my comics through retirement and get time to read them all. A great hobby for me!

I missed you Pat, welcome back and the best of luck with finding your perfect new home :foryou:

When I started collecting seriously, about 13 years ago, I was looking for SA and BA books, never cared all that much about grades, because I collected the books with the idea of reading them. It WAS easy, I had long runs of pretty much anything I wanted within the first few years... I really knew nothing about GA books, didn't even know there were books available from that time...then I won a Coverless Action 23 on eBay and my descent into madness started...I got completely hooked. the paper was different, the stories, THIS was history, the other stuff was "vintage".

I love finding all the new covers, and characters...and this board helps a lot. I can admire HG Marvels, but I have no desire to own them. I keep threatening to sell the rest of my SA books, but I've been very slow at getting to it:) Just never seem to have the time to reread them first.

I'm reading the Metal Men now...they are pretty funny.

I understand what you are saying Pat, but you get out of collecting what you put into it. This is a hobby that is what YOU make of it.

I have never understood why people only want to collect what they perceive is hard to find. Who cares if it is hard to find if you don't like it? And I don't care what everyone else is collecting either. Why should I collect books that other people like and I don't really care about?

And I don't care if I have the only high grade copies of a book. I want a copy that makes me happy. If there are 2 more or 42 more, I don't really care.

I am slowly methodically putting 2 or 3 runs of really high grade books that I like (for me) and they are predominantly Bronze Age books. I don't find them all the time, but when I get a book in, I like it.

At the same time, I am like Brian. I love beautiful books, especially Silver Age books, and honestly, I appreciate them more when they are raw. You don't get the feel for freshness, color, gloss, etc when they are in a slab. I don't care whether the book is technically perfect. I can have great appreciation for a super clean and glossy 1963 DC book, regardless of the title. You may slap a slab on it and turn it into a 9.0, but the beauty of the book is not adequately described by the grade.

Here are some collecting goals that I have thought about pursuing.

9.8 set of Superboy & the Legion of Super-heroes #197 - 259 (currently working on)

9.8 set of Warlock, and appearances (currently working on)

9.4 or better copies of all Neal Adams Marvel & DC covers

complete EC Horror/Sci Fi set in 8.0 or better

complete Spider-man set (probably 1 - 328) in 9.4 or better (probably won't ever do this, as I would rather have the money I could get for the #1 than the book). Might do it with a restored #1 though. (probably have at least 80% of these raw already)

Superman #1 - 10, or maybe 1 - 24

GGA Classic cover set (Phantom Lady #17, Brenda Star #14, Startling #49, etc)

complete DC grey tone set in high grade (probably raw)

9.4 or better DC Bronze Horror set (probably have most of these already)

There are other things that I would like to have as well. This is pretty easy for me. I could probably add 10 or more collecting ideas to the list. And it is alot of fun to think about.

However, I am not focused on collecting right now. I have two young kids and I have other things that are simply more important to me than collecting comics at this point in my life. Sounds weird with what I do, but I don't want to spend my life collecting "stuff". I would rather do stuff and spend time with the people that I care about..

Very good post. I agree with the I would rather do stuff and spend time with the people that I care about thought. ^^

However, I am not focused on collecting right now. I have two young kids and I have other things that are simply more important to me than collecting comics at this point in my life. Sounds weird with what I do, but I don't want to spend my life collecting "stuff". I would rather do stuff and spend time with the people that I care about.

Dale, GREAT post, agree 100% with everything you said. (thumbs u

Great post Dale.

It's been five and a half years since I turned from primarily being a Silver/Bronze guy to a GA collector. It was a difficult adjustment at first, as the concepts of "doesn't exist in high grade" or "it might take you a year or two to find a nice copy" were pretty foreign to me. But GA collecting has also taught me a great bit about patience, perseverance, focus, and determination. I've managed to build a pretty cool little GA collection in these last five years, and I've loved (almost) every minute of it.

But the truth is Pat, I could've burned out on the Silver/Bronze stuff just as easily and left the hobby. I could've been bummed on all the Pressing and Manipulation threads that popped up, and turned in my Overstreets forever, but I didn't. I could've listened to all of the SA/BA guys that told me Golden Age collecting was dying out and that I would be throwing my money away, but I didn't do that either.

And even though I don't collect SA/BA stuff like I used to, there are still a couple of affordable runs I want to put together, for my own edification. Lastly, while I do consider myself a bit of a high grade snob, I can still appreciate a nice raw run-of-the-mill SA Marvel that presents well, with nice pages and gloss, regardless of its value.

As with 99.9% of the things in life, its not what happens to us, but how we chose to react in response that dictates our level of happiness and satisfaction. But, considering this isn't the first thread of this kind you've posted here, I'm guessing that particular truth just hasn't hit home for you yet. Either way, good luck with whatever course you hope to pursue.

I know some people don't agree, but I don't care if the book came from a museum curator, or from Detroit, or Minnesota, or the Rocky Mountains. I personally would judge each book on its own merit. If the book is super fresh, well centered, has nice color, nice gloss, white pages and 9.4 structure, why would I pay more for a similar copy which happened to be owned by someone I don't know and never will know? So there is a story behind it? Who cares? There is a story behind my books too....the only difference is that story hasn't been told.

+1

+1000

Great thread and great post Dale. I have tried to say the quoted part above many times but never quite so well as you just did.

This is the best thread I have seen in a while. I have been collecting since I was 7 years old and my dad bought me a G.I. Joe #27 (Snake-eyes origin) off the rack. I traded that book for a Cobra Commander action figure and I have regretted it ever since. :sorry: I collected into the early 90's where, as a teenager with my first job and a little disposable income, I planned my retirement with the death of Superman. :tonofbricks: (This is actually not even in the top 50 most dumb things I did as a teen if you can believe that.) The comics industry crashed about the same time that I discovered the amazing things that girls offered and I stopped buying comics and invested in Drakkar Noir, hair dye, NOFX cd's, and baggy pants doh!(This is among the top 50 most dumb things I did as a teen.) I worked in construction as I finished college, got married, and reproduced :idea:(#1, #2 and #3 of the least dumb things I've done - not in that order). Quit my job, went to law school, had two more kids, lost my hair, lost my house, got a good job, grew a mustache (#4 of the least things) and rediscovered comics(#5) :banana:.

It was the E.C. covers that drew me back. I decided I want to learn everything I can about comics. Now, I collect Horror in all forms (especially pre-code and magazine - check them out if you have not, they are great! Frazetta, Adams, Corben, Wrightson Jones... the list goes on), golden age sci-fi, pre-hero and iconic covers. When I was a kid, the Golden age was untouchable, now it is just awesome. I buy and resell to fund my obsession. For my personal collection, I look for raw books with nice eye-appeal that are complete, not necessarily in high grade. I like the silver age hero books but I'm not too interested in the uber-high grades except insofar as I can sell them and buy stuff I really love.

I collect what I love and pass the rest on to those that love that, it's been working so far. This summer, I'm taking the first step towards dealing on a regular basis. I have reserved a booth at the local Phoenix Comicon and I have been stocking up on nice books. Hopefully, I'll be able to start a nice warchest to grow my golden age collection. :wishluck: If you have any advice, send me a PM, I would appreciate it. (thumbs u

This thread is great, no thanks to me! Dale and George nailed it with great responses that have left me with alot to think about! Thanks guys! I still love this place and the people here, but am in a strange sort of limbo trying to find my place in this hobby again!

Terrific post Dale, and it gives a lot of perspective. I do think that part of the enjoyment of collecting for many is the "thrill of the hunt" as we have discussed many times in the past. So, what becomes perceived as difficult or desirable can often fuel our passion.

I love 1955-1962 DCs and would love to assemble a full set of great eye appeal copies. Despite having some relatively decent funds, I have been unable to just "call up and buy them" or snag them easily from auctions. Sharp eye appeal copies with great color and nice pages of many DCs from that era are very tough. I love SA and love super heroes. While I enjoy some horror and some mainstream GA, most of it I'm not that enthralled by.

You have to collect what you love. I have found since acquiring so much material as a "part time dealer" you get a little desensitized to all the books being around you all the time, so a lot of other things can seem more important in life rather than actually "collecting them".

Still, every time I go on a new buy, I'm excited by what I might find. It's still a rush. Same feeling I get when I re-read Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos Quest or any of the other late 80s/early 90s stories and the memories from being a young teenager and being elated to read the comics.

This thread is great, no thanks to me! Dale and George nailed it with great responses that have left me with alot to think about! Thanks guys! I still love this place and the people here, but am in a strange sort of limbo trying to find my place in this hobby again!

Welcome back Pat.Good to hear from you again.

And good luck on the house.

Pat, ignore all the mess that irritates, irks, annoys, aggravates, bothers, angers, & offends you & do your own thing.

Ignore everybody & everything which stands in the way of your enjoyment of comics.

That's what I do.

I do my own thing as I always have. All the surrounding stuff is just background static or flashing lights & colors in my rear view mirror.

As I've posted before, nothing can ever come between a boy & his comics so long as I am that boy & those are my comics.

It's impossible for anything to come between me & my love affair with comics. Impossible.

You like comics? hm

Comics are cool indeed - and they can hit many positive notes with the collector:

great writing

great art

great cover

nostalgia

stupid, but funny

a collecting challenge

a financial challenge

And so on and on and on.

But in the end they are only ephemera and time and money can be much better spent on family, friends, holidays, wine, women and song.

I stopped buying moderns at the end of last year (had been buying 30+ titles a month) and am now slowly dissembling my collection for the second time (approx 50,000 or so books) so I can spend that money on the people I care about and doing the things I love the most.

I still have the memories and I can always read the digital copies (blasphemy I know) so I'll always be a comic collector/reader/lover at heart.