• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern #9. Should i buy it?

30 posts in this topic

So i have the oppurtunity to buy a copy of Green Lantern #9 and I just wanted to get a couple opinions before I commit to such a serious purchase. The seller has a pricetag of $450.00 on it and has it listed in GD+/VG. He also said he could give me a 15% discount which would make it come out to, if my math is correct, $390.00. I've tried to do some research on the bbook for recent sales for it here on the boards and on eBay and came up with nothing. I know what over street and comicspriceguide.com has it listed at, but just can't find any recent sales on it. It's not a question of if i want it or not, because I do want it, I just want to see if it's a good asking price for this book and if it would be a good investment or not, and if anyone knows the GPA on it. (I don't have a membership with GPanalysis) Thanks for any input.

-Austin-

is it cgc graded???, if not buyer beware it could be restored, I would also avoid low-grade non cgc material. Unless you are an expert at seeing if the book is restored I would watch out. I would also check Ha.com and see if prior sales were recorded in the past auctions, good luck. Just because its a good price does not make it a good long term investment. :idea:

Oh, and this iis golden age green lantern, not 1st app sinestro green lantern

Edit: Found some past auctions on GA G.L. 9 and it does look overpriced. Maybe I can talk him down another hundred bucks. I got to look at it in hand, it wasn't an online auction, and from what I can see it doesn't look restored. But my professional Resto eye is still a lil amateurish.

From a pure investment standpoint, no low-grade copy of any issue of Green Lantern is a good one if you have to pay around guide value.

But it is definitely a fun book and a great read

The investment part of that purchase would be about 50/50. Now that i see iit may not be a good investment, it would be based solely if i want it bad enough. Thanks.

What's a reasonable counter offer? 300?

If you are not good at detecting restoration, are you buying from a seller that you can trust and who would accept a return? Would you send it in to CGC or to a restoration expert?

If not, I would be very cautious about spending any more than you consider to be pocket change on a comic.

I've bought a couple things off him before. Don't know about his return policy. It would be a question I would ask before forking over that much money to him though. And I would eventually send it to cgc.

I'm going to E-mail him and see if i can get him to send me a picture of the comic and I'll share it with you guys.

Thanks for all the iinput guys. Its appreciated.

My original reaction was not necessarily about price or condition or restoration but about: Why do you want the book? Is it b/c it's been offered or does it fill some need in your want list? If the former, I stand on the No and suggest you walk away. If the latter, you will still have to negotiate him down quite a bit.

When i first saw it, my first thought wasn't "hmm, I wonder how much money I can make off of that." It was more "I have to have that and have it now!!!" My main collection focus is silver age DC, super hero and scifi, but I also love the golden age dcs. Their covers, art, story, pretty much everything about them but haven't ventured much into G.A. DC because of the prices. So its more of an emotional gain that I would benifit than any kind of monetary gain. The book wasn't ever really on any want list of mine but neither is any other golden age book. I just pretty much buy golden age if its a book that I like and if i could afford it.

Most Golden Age GL books sell for under guide about 10-20% or so. Both the price and risk seem high, put something in the WTB section here you may end up wtih something already graded and for a better price.

James G

Most Golden Age GL books sell for under guide about 10-20% or so. Both the price and risk seem high, put something in the WTB section here you may end up wtih something already graded and for a better price.

James G

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks

When doing research on a book, especially GA, go to Heritage Auctions and search their archives. They have hundreds of thousands of transactions archieved.

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Nty=1&N=52+790+231&ic=althome4-banner-archives-091411

Searching for Green Lantern 9 yields

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntt=green%20lantern%209&Nty=1&N=52+790+231&chkNotSold=0&Ns=

To see realized prices you need to join Heritage but it costs nothing.

When i first saw it, my first thought wasn't "hmm, I wonder how much money I can make off of that." It was more "I have to have that and have it now!!!" My main collection focus is silver age DC, super hero and scifi, but I also love the golden age dcs. Their covers, art, story, pretty much everything about them but haven't ventured much into G.A. DC because of the prices. So its more of an emotional gain that I would benifit than any kind of monetary gain. The book wasn't ever really on any want list of mine but neither is any other golden age book. I just pretty much buy golden age if its a book that I like and if i could afford it.

hm In your first post you asked: "...I just want to see if it's a good asking price for this book and if it would be a good investment or not..."

That seems a little different than "I have to have that and have it now!!!" and "So its more of an emotional gain ... than any kind of monetary gain."

Austin, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out the confusion I'm having over your request for advice. ???

As an investment book, I'm sorely tempted to say AVOID without giving the matter much thought because 1) the consensus seems to be that GA second string hero DCs in low to mid-grade are very slow movers, and 2) on a personal level I don't get fired-up about DC, so my POV is biased. (shrug)

OTOH, if this book is something you really really want and can afford then whatever discounts the dealer offers that brings the book in under the Guide price at grade will probably be a fair deal. Restoration is always a consideration, but given the stated condition and price it probably wouldn't be that much of a concern here. BTW, even if you get images and post them here there is only so much anyone can ascertain from a raw scan, so the rule of thumb would still be caveat emptor.

GA books can be a lot of fun to collect and no one wants to see you come up on the short end of a deal in an area that's unfamiliar to you. If your plans are to keep the book and you can afford the $300 to $350 outlay without stressing your budget then you'll probably be happy regardless of what any of us tell you. (thumbs u

hm In your first post you asked: "...I just want to see if it's a good asking price for this book and if it would be a good investment or not..."

That seems a little different than "I have to have that and have it now!!!" and "So its more of an emotional gain ... than any kind of monetary gain."

Austin, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out the confusion I'm having over your request for advice. ???

As an investment book, I'm sorely tempted to say AVOID without giving the matter much thought because 1) the consensus seems to be that GA second string hero DCs in low to mid-grade are very slow movers, and 2) on a personal level I don't get fired-up about DC, so my POV is biased. (shrug)

OTOH, if this book is something you really really want and can afford then whatever discounts the dealer offers that brings the book in under the Guide price at grade will probably be a fair deal. Restoration is always a consideration, but given the stated condition and price it probably wouldn't be that much of a concern here. BTW, even if you get images and post them here there is only so much anyone can ascertain from a raw scan, so the rule of thumb would still be caveat emptor.

GA books can be a lot of fun to collect and no one wants to see you come up on the short end of a deal in an area that's unfamiliar to you. If your plans are to keep the book and you can afford the $300 to $350 outlay without stressing your budget then you'll probably be happy regardless of what any of us tell you. (thumbs u

Confusion totally understandable. lol

My first thought about the book was that I wanted it and then I thought it could also be a good investment. But thats why I came here, to get a second opinion from people who are more educated in this field than I. And when i heard it wasn't a good investment I guess I was still trying to talk myself into buying it. And I don't take your comments as argumentative at all. That's exactly what I was looking for when posting this, your guys' thoughts on the book and price. I'd still love to own the book but if i cant talk this guy down to a reasonable price, it just wasnt meant to be and I'll move on to the next one. But you definately won't see me on the short end of this deal, thanks to your guys' input. Thanks David! (Thumbs u

Agreed, I'd pass. Golden Age Green Lantern issues tend to go for about 2/3 of guide, even in higher grades. And even the early books have fallen in recent years due to the character's irrelevance in the current Hal Jordan SA GL world.

I know--I've bought a few mid-grade slabbed issues of his early All-American appearances (19, 21, 22) for 30-40% less than what they sold for just a few years ago.

How strongly do I feel about this? It's my 1,000th post.