• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying key books graded - raw vs CGC

68 posts in this topic

I was very comfortable with buying low grade raws on the keys because they generally (though certainly not always) can be bought a little cheaper than slabbed. However, having just 2 days ago learned that my X-Men 1 is getting the PLOD I suddenly find myself wanting to avoid raws like grim death. Of course the best thing I can probably do for myself is to start learning more about resto detection, which right now is basically nil. Sigh.

Sorry to hear it. Buying a raw, high $ book is pure gamble. There are guys on ebay buying

restored, CGC graded books, cracking them out and flipping them on ebay as unrestored.

You may get lucky and pick up an under-graded or under-priced book but more likely you

will buy a headache.

That's such a scummy thing to do yet it's not surprising at all.

Here is some juicy reading for you.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

I was very comfortable with buying low grade raws on the keys because they generally (though certainly not always) can be bought a little cheaper than slabbed. However, having just 2 days ago learned that my X-Men 1 is getting the PLOD I suddenly find myself wanting to avoid raws like grim death. Of course the best thing I can probably do for myself is to start learning more about resto detection, which right now is basically nil. Sigh.

Sorry to hear it. Buying a raw, high $ book is pure gamble. There are guys on ebay buying

restored, CGC graded books, cracking them out and flipping them on ebay as unrestored.

You may get lucky and pick up an under-graded or under-priced book but more likely you

will buy a headache.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

Yikes. I read the first couple pages. I'm going to read through it tomorrow. Until I joined these boards I never would have even thought of these scams. I was so in the dark on this stuff.

will buy a headache.

Yikes. I read the first couple pages. I'm going to read through it tomorrow. Until I joined these boards I never would have even thought of these scams. I was so in the dark on this stuff.

The boards are a plethora of information,saving you money and a headache from the doooshes in the jungle they call Fleecebay.

will buy a headache.

Once comics started changing hands for decent money the scam artists joined in.

will buy a headache.

The boards are a plethora of information,saving you money and a headache from the doooshes in the jungle they call Fleecebay.

I bought my X-Men 1 on ebay about 8 months ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't even know restoration was a thing. I just never thought about it. Now when I have an old raw book in my hands I stare at the corners and edges like a jeweler inspecting a diamond for impurities.

will buy a headache.

I bought my X-Men 1 on ebay about 8 months ago and I'm pretty sure I didn't even know restoration was a thing. I just never thought about it. Now when I have an old raw book in my hands I stare at the corners and edges like a jeweler inspecting a diamond for impurities.

Hang around,you must.Learn from the wise here.

tokinyoda4.gif

Truer words have never been spoken. I love this place.