• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOR ALL YOU DROOLING FANBOYS!!!!!!

59 posts in this topic

Dr Don

I thought Brulato was starting to look like me, not the other way around. Hey, we've done so many trades and our books have passed each other's hands so often that its rubbed off on our faces. I didn't even know you had met Brulato. When do I get to me the doctor from down under?

Doug, it was a pleasure meeting you also!! My Son & I were absolutely floored with your FF # 1. That had to be the best looking copy I've ever seen in person,truly a Killer Copy!!! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gif My son & I were still talking about it for awhile after we left ,truly Incredible!!! I see your a big FF Fan ,that happens to be my favorite Silver Age Run . I do own myself, a FF run from # 1 to # 101 straight in all grades ,but nothing like that !!! Again, Great Collection you have & Happy Collecting to you also!!! grin.gif

Doug, it was a pleasure meeting you also!! My Son & I were absolutely floored with your FF # 1. That had to be the best looking copy I've ever seen in person,truly a Killer Copy!!! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifacclaim.gif My son & I were still talking about it for awhile after we left ,truly Incredible!!! I see your a big FF Fan ,that happens to be my favorite Silver Age Run . I do own myself, a FF run from # 1 to # 101 straight in all grades ,but nothing like that !!! Again, Great Collection you have & Happy Collecting to you also!!! grin.gif

captain; where was that copy when you pulled out the FF box?? thought you were resubmitting for a new label or something. hope to have mine graded finally this summer........ grin.gif

captain tripps

no i havent met your bro tom b, just seen his pic a few times

when u relocate to florida, i will endeavor to fly out to the states, i got to meet u, steve borock, blazingbob, and hopefully attend my first convention- i thinking the oakland con is the best buyers con to go to

I must admit, with the moniker "Captain Tripps", the picture did not jive with my mental image....

Seriously, thanks Redhook for posting the photos and also the description of your visit to one of the "mecca's" of Silver Age comic collecting. Thanks also, Captain T, for your willingness to share stories about these most extraordinary books, and for the photos of a couple of them. I, for one, would love to see as many scans or photos of your collection as you would be willing and able to post.

CAPTAIN TRIPPS, VOL. 2:

So anyway, I stop by Cap's house, and what do I find? Him doing a lapdance with a couple of White Mountains! Lawdy Momma!

captaintripps.jpg

But seriously folks.....a great, if too short visit! Thanks Doug! I felt like a 12 year old sitting on the stoop looking at comics with another kid. Enjoyed the art appreciation hour, and it was nice to see samples of these great books in such fresh looking shape.

Thanks again for a great hour of company and conversation! thumbsup2.gif

CAPTAIN TRIPPS, VOL. 1

491594-Image_1.jpg

491594-Image_1.jpg.714ec66c26513638e48b9cd206268a58.jpg

Human,

Thanks for the props. I'm glad you and your son got to see the book. You are quite lucky, having a boy to share your collection and hobby with. My son is only 3, but I'm sure his mom has 1 comic book nut already to deal with, so we'll see if he cqan follow in my footsteps.

Anyway, good luck with everything and tell your son I said hello!!

Doug.

Let me say, that having held Doug's FF 1 and FF 4, all I need now is for the Cubs to make the World Series and I will be happy man. Nothing like holding books that are worth more than your house.

Burntboy,

Sorry, you missed it by 2 days!! I had sent it to CGC to have it re-holdered (the old holder was totally scratched and worn) and I got it back at the Wizard World show on Friday. BTW, this was my 1st book CGC'd and the 3rd one ever done by them. I sent it in early, obviously.

LMK what the BB pedigree FF 1 gets.

Doug.

namisgr,

My pleasure sharing books with any comic book lovers, especially Marvel SA enthusiasts. Also, great photo of my namesake, Captain Tripps. BTW, I'm as much, if not more, into the Dredful Grates as I am into the books.

That's a classic photo of Garcia which I've seen before (circa 1966 or so). Thanks.

namisgr,

My pleasure sharing books with any comic book lovers, especially Marvel SA enthusiasts. Also, great photo of my namesake, Captain Tripps. BTW, I'm as much, if not more, into the Dredful Grates as I am into the books.

That's a classic photo of Garcia which I've seen before (circa 1966 or so). Thanks.

Hey - I'll take this WAY off topic...anybody here have a Dead tape from 7-19-81 Alpine Valley? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif My virgin show.... I'd give somebody a big cookie for that one.

namisgr,

Hey - I'll take this WAY off topic...anybody here have a Dead tape from 7-19-81 Alpine Valley? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif My virgin show.... I'd give somebody a big cookie for that one.

Well that most have been some show since I dont think that it ever took place blush.gif

I did find these 2 shows.Which show was it? I have quite a cd collection and will keep an eye out for either of these shows...or both...whatever...Neither of these shows are my kinda shows(more or a 77 kinda guy), but I am sure they were smokers. Never saw the dead myself. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but whatever...I have seen phish several times at Alpine Valley and that places is something else. Always fun to be in the middle of nowhere jammin out. Also there is a state park near by called Bong State Park! 893whatthe.gif

07/11/81 (Sat) Alpine Valley Music Theatre - East Troy, WI

Set 1: Alabama Getaway > Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O > Little Red Rooster, Bird Song, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Tennessee Jed, Minglewood Blues, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Ship of Fools, He's Gone > Truckin' > Drums > The Other One > Stella Blue > I Need A Miracle > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night, E: Brokedown Palace

07/19/89 (Wed) Alpine Valley Music Theatre - East Troy, WI

Set 1: Hell In A Bucket, Sugaree, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Althea, Victim Or The Crime > West L.A. Fadeaway, Desolation Row > Deal

Set 2: Box Of Rain > Foolish Heart > Looks Like Rain, Terrapin Station > Drums > Jam > The Wheel > The Other One > Morning Dew, E: Lovelight

namisgr,

Well that most have been some show since I dont think that it ever took place blush.gif

I did find these 2 shows.Which show was it? I have quite a cd collection and will keep an eye out for either of these shows...or both...whatever...Neither of these shows are my kinda shows(more or a 77 kinda guy), but I am sure they were smokers. Never saw the dead myself. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, but whatever...I have seen phish several times at Alpine Valley and that places is something else. Always fun to be in the middle of nowhere jammin out. Also there is a state park near by called Bong State Park! 893whatthe.gif

Set 1: Alabama Getaway > Greatest Story Ever Told, Peggy-O > Little Red Rooster, Bird Song, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Tennessee Jed, Minglewood Blues, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2: Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Ship of Fools, He's Gone > Truckin' > Drums > The Other One > Stella Blue > I Need A Miracle > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night, E: Brokedown Palace

07/19/89 (Wed) Alpine Valley Music Theatre - East Troy, WI

Set 1: Hell In A Bucket, Sugaree, Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues, Althea, Victim Or The Crime > West L.A. Fadeaway, Desolation Row > Deal

Set 2: Box Of Rain > Foolish Heart > Looks Like Rain, Terrapin Station > Drums > Jam > The Wheel > The Other One > Morning Dew, E: Lovelight

It was the 7-11-81 one, my error in haste of posting:

Bobby gave a "bad drugs" warning right before Truckin'. It totally absolutely completely rocked. I went over to the Heads right after Bird Song, and haven't come out since. I've NEVER been able to find 7-11-81, apparently its on the list of "most wanted" shows.

Donut,

I'm almost positive that I have that show on cassette (everything I get now is on cd) because 1981 was a popular year and I have almost every show from it. That was when I started seeing shows on consecutive nights, etc, and really learned to appreciate their massive repertoire.

I'll trade you the Alpine Valley 7/11/81 for a Sgt. Furt 28 9.4 or better!! Only kidding. I will check with my man Howie (who has every show from 1981 on cd) and make a copy for you. It's the least I can do for a fellow head and a huge Cubs fan.

Donut,

I'm almost positive that I have that show on cassette (everything I get now is on cd) because 1981 was a popular year and I have almost every show from it. That was when I started seeing shows on consecutive nights, etc, and really learned to appreciate their massive repertoire.

I'll trade you the Alpine Valley 7/11/81 for a Sgt. Furt 28 9.4 or better!! Only kidding. I will check with my man Howie (who has every show from 1981 on cd) and make a copy for you. It's the least I can do for a fellow head and a huge Cubs fan.

Between you and DawgPhan today, my faith in humanity is restored. I'm sitting here listening to it as we speak, remembering my misbegotten youth. I've been looking for this show for years, and today TWO people find it. I feel like Ian Levine.

I'll get working on that Sgt. Fury!

So anyway, I stop by Cap's house, and what do I find? Him doing a lapdance with a couple of White Mountains! Lawdy Momma!

captaintripps.jpg

But seriously folks.....a great, if too short visit! Thanks Doug! I felt like a 12 year old sitting on the stoop looking at comics with another kid. Enjoyed the art appreciation hour, and it was nice to see samples of these great books in such fresh looking shape.

Thanks again for a great hour of company and conversation! thumbsup2.gif

Wow them white legs are blinding me brother!! grin.gif