• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FOR ALL YOU DROOLING FANBOYS!!!!!!

59 posts in this topic

WARNING; The following narrative might make certain board members nauseous - so please proceed with caution. if you are anti-CGC or anti-Fanboy read at your own risk - you know who you are grin.gif

i got to see a good deal of one of the greatest SA marvel collections in the world today!!!

i paid a visit to captain tripps lovely apartment in northern NJ (i particularly liked the Sony 50inch Plasma TV). and we viewed some of each others books, went out for some local excellent NJ pizza and conducted a little businesss.

while i'm a 56 year old man, i truly felt like what JC would call a drooling fanboy.

i was treated to 1 CGC box of FF's at the apartment and then 3 other boxes (among dozens) of ASM's, Avengers, and X-men at his storage facility nearby.

probably 90+% of the books were from either the Pacific Coast, Mass, Northland or Curator Pedigrees. i got to hold an AF# 15 9.4 with ow pages, an Avengers #1 9.6, an X-men #1 9.4 and an FF #4 (my personal Grail) in 9.6 with white pages. virtually all of the 120 books were graded at least 9.4 with an obscene amount of 9.6's and 9.8's. this collection is just ridiculous!!!!!!! acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Redhook - i have good news and bad news - i'm gonna buy all of the Avengers DOUBLES (probably 6-8 issues below #30 in 9.4). that's the bad news (for you). grin.gifgrin.gif

the good news is that we may be able to pull off the comic coup of the century by kidnapping Tripps AND Brulato on the way home from the Philly Wizard Con this weekend. your job is to get Tripps' itinerary and route home if you see him tomorrow, and we can proceed from there devil.gifdevil.gif

i got to hold an AF# 15 9.4 with ow pages, an Avengers #1 9.6, an X-men #1 9.4 and an FF #4 (my personal Grail) in 9.6 with white pages.

thumbsup2.gif

while i'm a 56 year old man, i truly felt like what JC would call a drooling fanboy.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with appreciating some high-end comics, and nothing in your post delved into Fanboy Land.

If you told us that you'd offered to clean Tripp's place, just to be able to gaze at the Godlike Books once a week, then I'd be worried.

Just an apartment? I always had these images of a Money Bin like Uncle Scrooge's, and Tripps would take a daily swim through his slabs, throwing up his lesser 9.8's so they could delightfully bounce off his head!

Cool! thumbsup2.gif I hope to take the tour one day myself. Just out of curiosity, what gratuities did you bring, can you relate any of the details of the "business" done?

Like a kid with the keys to the candy store. cloud9.gif Did you have to wipe the drool away every few minutes? Does Capp have readers or stacks of the Marvel Masterworks for all these gems?

On a separate note (Capp if your listening), I noticed there are only 6 (9.4's) FF#4's in the census but there appears to be two out there for sale for some time now (Comiclink and Metro). Given that you already own one, have you ever taken the approach of trying to hoard or corner the market on a certain issue? Owning three out of 6 of them for a few years and then sit back and watch while people clammer to get their hands on these? I have to admit that I'm really surprised that these comics have been on the market for so long. Granted they appear to be $5,000 higher than one that sold on PGC Mint's (I believe?) website but I am really stunned that there are not more comic lovers out there with lots of disposal income that wouldn't want to jump on issues like these. I'm sure there are better examples of rarer issues but FF#4 is one of my favorites. confused-smiley-013.gif

i paid a visit to captain tripps lovely apartment in northern NJ (i particularly liked the Sony 50inch Plasma TV). and we viewed some of each others books, went out for some local excellent NJ pizza and conducted a little businesss.

Sounds like a good day. thumbsup2.gif

Hey, there's nothing wrong with appreciating some high-end comics, and nothing in your post delved into Fanboy Land.

If you told us that you'd offered to clean Tripp's place, just to be able to gaze at the Godlike Books once a week, then I'd be worried.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

ya know - maybe i'm starting to understand that little twisted sense of humor of yours grin.gif

glad you approved of my decorum.............

Heard about your visit from the Captain right before Smallville aired last night.

I definitely understand "the drool factor!"

I am always surprised to see him with some gem or another and it really is terrific to see a guy who is so - well, thrilled - to own these books.

Larry

Just an apartment? I always had these images of a Money Bin like Uncle Scrooge's, and Tripps would take a daily swim through his slabs, throwing up his lesser 9.8's so they could delightfully bounce off his head!

Cool! thumbsup2.gif I hope to take the tour one day myself. Just out of curiosity, what gratuities did you bring, can you relate any of the details of the "business" done?

he has a lovely 3 bedroom apartment way up in a high rise with awesome views of both the GW Bridge and Midtown Manhattan. sadly he has plans to move south before the year is over and is building a big new house in sunny Florida.

your imagery of Uncle Scrooge is PERFECT (i'm gonna have a hard time getting that image out of my head) in terms of what will probably be at his new place. for now, it's a very large and secure storage facility that gets it done.

Doug is Quite enthusiastic over comics in general. his favorite phrase while either looking at the books i brought or showing me his fabulous collection was, "that's a GREAT book!!!!" also, as you might expect, a wealth of knowledge about the BSD's and Highend collectors. here's an interesting observation that i believe to be accurate; if you picked a spot a bit east of the GW Bridge, you'd have the following 5 collections/stock within about a 10-20 mile radius, Josh Nathanson, Marnin Rosenberg, Capt Tripps, Tom Brulato and Ghost Town.

i brought about 10 of my 9.4's from my original collection. while they can't compare to his books (except the FF#11 which he thought might be the nicest of the 4 out there, since he's now seen mine and at one time owned the other three), he is obviously intrigued by the fact that i purchased each one myself at the same store over 40 years ago. and when one considers that i stored them naked in dresser drawers for almost 15 years before putting them in cheap comic bags for another 10, it is pretty amazing that many of them stayed in such good shape (so far 71 of 100 submitted have come back graded 8.0 or higher).

all-in-all an enjoyable evening cloud9.gif

Seriously, I am looking forward to my (short) visit today......have to continue on to Brooklyn to watch my beautiful 13-year-old daughter play flute in her school concert.

Actually, I can hear it now.......

Friday morning 2:35am a phone rings in Brooklyn.....

Julia: .....uh, hello?

Redhook: Hi Julia, it's Daddy!

Julia: Dad!? Where were you? You were supposed to be at my concert! What happened?

Redhook: I....I....got a little....delayed...in New Jersey.

Julia: We were worried about you! We called the police!

Redhook: Oh. Um....listen.....Julia?

Julia: Yes, Daddy?

Redhook: Remember we, um, always talked....about you going....to college?

Julia: Uh, huh. Daddy, I'm tired. I wanna' go back to sleep. I 'm really tired, and you missed my concert.

Redhook: Julia? Remember, we talked about college, and ......Daddy said he had money saved for your schooling? That he had a nice money market account with funds in it so you could go to an Ivy League school?

Julia: Daddy? Is something wrong? You sound like you're crying.......

Redhook: Julia......um......do you know who.....The Avengers are? You know Dad collects comics, right?

Julia: ......uhum..........

Redhook: Julia, do you know who Captain Tripps is?

Julia: ...no.... Is he like a sixties rock star or something?

Redhook: No.....not exactly. But something like that. Julia? You realize you don't really

have to go to college, right?

Julia: Daddy, I'm tired. Can I go now?

Redhook: Julia, I just want you to think about one thing.........community college. You can get a great education at community college. Just promise me you'll sleep on it. (sob)

Julia: Goodnight Daddy.

Redhook: Goodnight Julia.........

You.............[!@#%^&^]! 893frustrated.gif

Hear that DRICE, he's going for OUR BOOKS! You yawning now?

27_laughing.gif

and they are some BEAUTIES - nothing under a 9.4 (and many of them are Pedigrees) devil.gif

You saw all that and didn't fainted?! You're one hell of a strong fanboy...i almost did just imagining the scene of all those comics around!!!

Next morning i bet you thought it was just a mix of a wet dream and an episode of Sponge Bob!!! grin.gif

Thanks for sharing and killing us in droolling time, big time. insane.gif

Actually Burnt, I'm sorry we couldn't have coordinated our trips......would have been nice to hang with you and see the BB Pedigree!

You saw all that and didn't fainted?! You're one hell of a strong fanboy...i almost did just imagining the scene of all those comics around!!!

Next morning i bet you thought it was just a mix of a wet dream and an episode of Sponge Bob!!! grin.gif

Thanks for sharing and killing us in droolling time, big time. insane.gif

it's quite numbing to see so many of those big 4 books from issue #1 to #30 in 9.6 and 9.8. when it's over it's almost hard to believe that it was real. i mean these are perfect examples of some of the most sought after SA comics of all time blush.gifblush.gif

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm envious!

Did he display any of his books? Or were they all in boxes in the closet? I always pictured him having a private room with his very best books up on display like fine paintings. tongue.gif

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm envious!

Did he display any of his books? Or were they all in boxes in the closet? I always pictured him having a private room with his very best books up on display like fine paintings. tongue.gif

i would guess that since he's moving south, he hasn't spent the time to display them. for now it's just boxes and boxes of "dream-stuff" in a storage facility.

the cool thing is that he's soo psyched over his books that he really wants to show them off. i actually called a halt to the proceedings so that i could get home at a decent hour.

and now i'm bummed that he's moving and NJ's rep as the HG SA Marvel capital of the world will be no more............ frown.gif