• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Grand Auctions - Jan 18th

72 posts in this topic

The X-men 1 9.4 went for a song, relatively speaking.

90K . Let's see if Doug reports it to GPA. This is a perfect example where the buyer would not want it reported as the current last sale and 12 month average is 137.5K

BTW Doug's notes on this book states 'Stands as the third highest CGC example behind only 2 in 9.8 and 2 in 9.6' .

Shouldn't this be 5th highest example ? It's the 3rd highest grade but not 3rd highest example. I hate false stats.

90K . Let's see if Doug reports it to GPA. This is a perfect example where the buyer would not want it reported as the current last sale and 12 month average is 137.5K

BTW Doug's notes on this book states 'Stands as the third highest CGC example behind only 2 in 9.8 and 2 in 9.6' .

Shouldn't this be 5th highest example ? It's the 3rd highest grade but not 3rd highest example. I hate false stats.

That's the usual Doug-speak. If he can't get away with a downright lie, he'll do his best to throttle the truth instead. meh

my sole win:

lowest GPA since '05

1052956002.jpg

was the underbidder of a few others I would have liked that were good deals but didn't quite have enough to really risk it just in case i see something on upcoming clink auction

That's pretty much the status quo in the industry. All the auction houses speak about grade level as if there were only one book at each grade. CLink, Heritage, CC all do this. You just have to ignore it and look at the census. It gets pretty annoying when you see a 9.6 labeled as 'Second Highest Graded' only to see there are 64 copies graded 9.8.

FF 2 CGC 9.6 white mountain just jumped from $60K to $80K in one minute:

FF 2 CGC 9.6 highest graded copy

That's quite a profit margin for Doug there. That book sold via MastroNet auction to Mark Wilson around 2003 for $15K, then he flipped it to Doug, I'm guessing for something like $20K to $25K. It was a 9.4 back then, but I couldn't find any flaws in the scan, so I'm not surprised it's a 9.6 now. But it was in Doug's registry as a 9.4 just last year...wonder how many resubmits it took to get to 9.6? :juggle:

Wonder why he's slowly selling his FFs?

That's quite a profit margin for Doug there. That book sold via MastroNet auction to Mark Wilson around 2003 for $15K, then he flipped it to Doug, I'm guessing for something like $20K to $25K. It was a 9.4 back then, but I couldn't find any flaws in the scan, so I'm not surprised it's a 9.6 now. But it was in Doug's registry as a 9.4 just last year...wonder how many resubmits it took to get to 9.6? :juggle:

The book is pretty incredible looking. Maybe he is going to chase the Curator copy [which is equally gorgeous] at half the price tag and try and resub to a 9.6?

The book is pretty incredible looking. Maybe he is going to chase the Curator copy [which is equally gorgeous] at half the price tag and try and resub to a 9.6?

Quoted for truth. The duel between Doug and Tom for some of those Curator FFs is going to be a 'clash of titans'.

Quoted for truth. The duel between Doug and Tom for some of those Curator FFs is going to be a 'clash of titans'.

Would make sense for those guys to sit down and plot their courses as it could save themselves a few hundred grand.

I finally won on PC. 1st book I won and have bought since mid 2010. Has been a long time since I have a book I wanted. Got Blade's 1st app. Starting to collect my keys from the 70s and 80's now. Only missing a few SA keys I want but will get sooner or later, SC22 and JIM83, both 8.0 on my hit list when I see them and the price is right.