• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking Slabs

45 posts in this topic

After watching the video, I'm wondering a secondary question. Does everyone else put the board in first? I always arrange the board and book together, then slip them into the sleeve together. Never thought about anyone else's technique on this.

Funny, thought the same thing. I put board in first, then book, followed by a tap on the surface till it hits bottom just like in the video. Anyone else?? :popcorn:

Always, ALWAYS put the book on the board...then put both in the bag.

That way you won't catch any slivers on the back cover and it is easier to keep any corners from folding over.

That way you won't catch any slivers on the back cover and it is easier to keep any corners from folding over.

That's the way I roll, Mr. B. I also fold up the top edge of the bag slightly, especially if it is a mylar which can have a sharp edge to it, so that the top edge of the bag doesn't catch the spine or anything else on the book as you're sliding it into the bag.

why ruin a good slab.

Cause you can't press a book if it's in plastic. :facepalm:

You also can't get it signed for SS. A lot of the books I have had signed have been copper 9.6-9.8 I've picked up cheap and cracked for signatures.

why ruin a good slab.

You also can't get it signed for SS. A lot of the books I have had signed have been copper 9.6-9.8 I've picked up cheap and cracked for signatures.

Some people like to hold, read, smell and enjoy their books. None of this can be done through the slab.

why ruin a good slab.

Some people like to hold, read, smell and enjoy their books. None of this can be done through the slab.

And some people buy a reading copy to do those things you mentioned.

Sometimes I go a step further. I sandwich the comic between 2 backing boards and slide it in the bag, then slide out the board in front.

Sometimes I go a step further. I sandwich the comic between 2 backing boards and slide it in the bag, then slide out the board in front.

I've found this to be an excellent way to avoid both the possibility of hanging on the edges and also to avoid tape pulls.

why ruin a good slab.

Which again have to be cracked out first to enjoy.

why ruin a good slab.

Though to put a finer edge on this, the condition of a reading copy matters if one is attempting to recapture the feeling of childhood or an earlier age.

I've found this to be an excellent way to avoid both the possibility of hanging on the edges and also to avoid tape pulls.

This is actually the best and most fool-proof method! (thumbs u

The true and absolute fool-proof method would be to not use tape at all. Use the 3M post it flags.

The true and absolute fool-proof method would be to not use tape at all. Use the 3M post it flags.

+1 no tape for me.

Don't the flags only have adhesive on one end? Is that enough to secure the flap of the bag?

Yes - the flags are thin and have enough adhesive surface to work great - the added benefit is the colored portion which has no adhesive, so they are easy to remove. Stay away from the index flags, as they are way thicker.

I wish people would use these instead of tape - an added benefit is not ruining all those mylars and M2s with tape that bonds and is extremely difficult to remove, if at all.

You can order them through Amazon.com, and can often find bulk deals there, as well as occasional specials at Staples. Of course if you work in an office, you can probably locate them for 'free'.....,

If you're not an Amazon Prime shipping member, you're losing out on excellent shipping rates. We order all kinds of household goods there, not available locally. And you get most everything in two days.

why ruin a good slab.

Which again have to be cracked out first to enjoy.

I've seen some of your purchases. The only things cracking were the spines. lol

Don't the flags only have adhesive on one end? Is that enough to secure the flap of the bag?

Yes - the flags are thin and have enough adhesive surface to work great - the added benefit is the colored portion which has no adhesive, so they are easy to remove. Stay away from the index flags, as they are way thicker.

I wish people would use these instead of tape - an added benefit is not ruining all those mylars and M2s with tape that bonds and is extremely difficult to remove, if at all.

You can order them through Amazon.com, and can often find bulk deals there, as well as occasional specials at Staples. Of course if you work in an office, you can probably locate them for 'free'.....,

If you're not an Amazon Prime shipping member, you're losing out on excellent shipping rates. We order all kinds of household goods there, not available locally. And you get most everything in two days.

Which size flags do you use? Half inch? One Inch? Smaller?

I love Amazon Prime. I've been a member for almost three years. It's a great deal. I usually order stuff at least once a week.

Which size flags do you use? Half inch? One Inch? Smaller?

I love Amazon Prime. I've been a member for almost three years. It's a great deal. I usually order stuff at least once a week.

We order stuff from Amazon at least once a week - DVDs, books, garage door openers, lawn mosquito treatment, etc. Amazing what they carry that is eligible for basically free shipping.

I use the 1 inch wide (by 1 1/2 length) link

or for a better, bulk deal:

link

I haven't used the skinnier, 1/2 inch ones. They might work ok for poly bags, but don't know about M2s.