• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Removing a Signature?

18 posts in this topic

I Apologize if this has already been addressed in a thread somewhere.

I have a raw book that I want to get SSed, but it already has a signature on it. I'd like to get it SSed with a different creators signature, but I don't want the original signature remarked. The book is rare enough that I cant just buy another copy.

So my question is, is there a trade secret method for removing a signature without damaging a cover? The signature I want to remove is silver sharpee.

Thanks!

I have a raw book that I want to get SSed, but it already has a signature on it. I'd like to get it SSed with a different creators signature, but I don't want the original signature remarked. The book is rare enough that I cant just buy another copy.

So my question is, is there a trade secret method for removing a signature without damaging a cover? The signature I want to remove is silver sharpee.

Thanks!

No.

......not sure an artist would want to sketch over anothers sig...... (shrug)

They've sketched over personalizations before.

Howd that turn out?

I actually thought about having a sharpie signature removed from a rare book a few years ago. You would have to verify with a restoration expert but I vaguely remember someone saying that it would depend on the paper stock. Maybe a thicker cover like card stock would be a possible candidate. A cover with signature bleed through, not so much.

I have seen some covers where the artist colored in with silver sharpie then put a sketch in black over it. You could also fill in the silver sharpie signature & get a black sharpie signature over it. You just have to worry about the bleed through the page or the page getting wrinkled

......not sure an artist would want to sketch over anothers sig...... (shrug)

They've sketched over personalizations before.

How'd that turn out?

For whom?

lol Everyone ?

Thanks!

I actually had success doing this for a friend of mine. But the only reason it worked is because it had the acetate/plastic cover. I used acetone on the cover of a Maximum Clonage and the signature came right off and left no marks that I can see. However it hasn't been submitted to be graded yet so who knows.

Thanks!

I actually had success doing this for a friend of mine. But the only reason it worked is because it had the acetate/plastic cover. I used acetone on the cover of a Maximum Clonage and the signature came right off and left no marks that I can see. However it hasn't been submitted to be graded yet so who knows.

Shine a backlight over the cover yet?