• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, I just got my 1st CGG book...

83 posts in this topic

Just received my first CGG graded comic. I didn't have this book graded, but rather I bought it off Ebay. I purchased it primarily to fill a run and because the price was right, but I also wanted to see what CGG's lower-end grading was like. I've heard they are "strict" and I thought that their low-cost grading might be a good option to involve in my lower-end GA purchases. Here are the scans (note that the scuff through the logo is on the slab):

boy_33label.jpg

boy_33.jpg

boy_33b.jpg

Here are my feelings... First, I think that their grading in this range is a little loose. Most of my GA purchases are in the GD to FN range and I've found it a little difficult to find sellers that have strict low-grade standards. I think many sellers get a little optimistic when they are looking at books in the FR to VG range- maybe they figure they are at the bottom of the scale anyway, so what does a plus or two really matter. I have the same problem with how CGG has graded this book. There are simply too many little problems for me to be thinking about this copy as a GD/VG (3.0). My view, 2.0 to 2.5 tops without even cracking the slab. It's a solid copy, but it's been heavily handled. The water stains on the back are of particular note. I would buy more CGG books in the future, but I'd definitely need to see big scans.

The slab does seem a little more durable than CGC's. It feels a little less brittle and the seam appears tighter. I like that the label is encased with the book in the inner sleeve. This is a no brainer to me and I wonder why CGC hasn't done this (or have they?). I also like that they include the date that the book was graded. Having this info right on the label will seem more and more important as certified books age.

I'll be cracking this one, so I'll be able to give more evidence in the "does the inner sleeve stink or not" debate... And hopefully, the copy is complete. More later

It looks like a 3.0 from what I can see even with the water stains. A 2.0 can exhibit a ton of wear and even pieces missing from the cover. As long as you are happy with what you paid then it doesn't really mater. thumbsup2.gif

Okay, so I cracked it...

Copy is complete devil.gif

Upon further review, the book is a GD. They were quite generous in their page quality designation. The label said Cream to Off-White, in actually the pages are Cream to Light Tan. Several interior pages have fairly heavy accordian corner folds. They've been flatten, but they have to be considered. There is a 1" split at the bottom of the spine which wasn't especially obvious when the book was in the slab. Most troublesome is that the staple (a single one on this book) is just barely attached. That's the deal breaker for me. When a book gets down to the point when handling it is problematic, I really can't go much above GD unless the copy is otherwise really nice. If I purchased this book as a GD raw, I'd be happy. If I'd purchased it raw as a GD/VG, I probably wouldn't be asking for a refund, but I certainly wouldn't be seeking out the seller again. For the time being I'm going to remain neutral on CGG. I might give them another shot, but I will be wary about where I set the ceiling on my bidding.

Oh, I will say that the inner sleeve has absolutely no smell that I can detect. This book was graded last month. Maybe the "stinky sleeves" are older?

Here are some larger scans of the un-slabbed book:

boy_33_2.jpg

boy_33b_2.jpg

The price was right for a GD. So, in my mind, I got what I paid for. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But, as far as CGG being "stricter" than CGC, not in this case.

Like I said in the post above... No stink...

This book was graded 4/04, so it was only in the slab a month. Maybe they are using a new sleeve material, maybe it takes time for them to get stinky, maybe it was all just a rumor... Who knows confused-smiley-013.gif

First time posting, so be easy on me. This question may be very stupid blush.gif

Have been mildly collecting for a few years, and just started to REALLY get into it. I wanted to check out how CGG's grades are compared to CGC's, so I bought a CGG'ed book on eBay for real cheap. The seller said how he trusted CGG a lot more as they're more strict in their grading, better slab, etc. He basically sounded like a happy customer with no ties to CGG.

Anyhoo, got the book and noticed the return label was from CGGroup, with CGGs address on it. So my question is (again, potentially very stupid), is CGG grading books higher for themselves just to turn a buck on ebay? I find it a conflict of interest for a grading company to be selling books on ebay as it is (although I suppose this is damn close to the Wizard First thing - except CGC isnt actually selling the books). Needless to say, I won't be using CGG for anything.

Just looking for any opinions on the matter, or perhaps I'm just overreacting.

Been lurking the boards for a bit, and I like the discussions you guys have. Maybe I'll be able to contribute one day, but I've learned a lot on these boards already. popcorn.gif

Thanks,

Keith

You make an accusation like that then you need to back it up......

What's the eBay seller's ID and what comic was it? What's your eBay ID for that matter?

Is the auction still in the database?

Sorry if I sound like I'm doubting your word but I am. If CGG graded, then sold, and sent a comic with a CGG return address then they are of the highest order. And I doubt that......

Jim

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Auction text is:

ITS CGGroup, THE COMIC GRADING GROUP. NOTHING BUT GOOD EXPERIENCES WITH THEM AND THEY SEEM TO GRADE A LITTLE MORE CONSISTENT THAN CGC SO YOU CAN BE SURE YOUR GETTING THE GRADE ON THE LABEL, OR POSSIBLY BETTER IN YOUR OPINION SINCE THEY ARE PRETTY TIGHT IN THEIR GRADING. THEIR NEW OUTER HOLDER IS EXCELLENT AND IS NICER THAN THE CGC HOLDER.

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL BOOK WITH WHITE PAGES.

THANKS FOR CHECKING OUT MY AUCTION AND GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOUR BIDDINGS.

SHIPPING IS ONLY $3! ALL BOOKS ARE PACKAGED VERY WELL FOR SHIPPING

Now, the seller has 204 feedback, most of which is BUYING comics, but the book I received came in a brand new mailer with CGG's name and address on the return label, and the sellers payment address on paypal was CGG's address. The auction makes it SOUND like he has no affiliation with CGG, just a customer.

Just strikes me as a little..... misleading, to say the least.

confused-smiley-013.gif

EDIT: To above poster - to clarify, it's CGG, not CGC. When I get my scanner in the mail, I'll scan in the mailer, book, and receipt

What's the eBay seller's ID and what comic was it? What's your eBay ID for that matter?

Sorry if I sound like I'm doubting your word but I am. If CGC graded and sent a comic with a CGC return address then they are of the highest order. And I doubt that......

Jim

CGG makepoint.gif

If you're going to continue this, you're going to have to give more info/evidence- the seller's ebay name at least.

Otherwise you should probably drop it as it could be taken as libel (or is it slander?)

When I get my scanner in the mail, I'll scan in the mailer, book, and receipt

Not good enough.....what's the eBay ID? Which auction was it?

I have a CGG mailer also to scan.....

Jim

Sorry if I sound like I'm doubting your word but I am. If CGC graded and sent a comic with a CGC return address then they are of the highest order. And I doubt that......

Jim

CGG makepoint.gif

Yeah, yeah.....I know......typing too fast I suppose.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Jim

CGG makepoint.gif

PVCGG! makepoint.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2243281431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I'm not trying to slander anyone here, believe me - just trying to figure out if he's affiliated with CGG since I got the book in a CGG mailer /shrug. Have no problems with the seller whatsoever. I got the book in a day. Cant ask for anything else. The ONLY thing I'm wondering is, is CGG selling books on ebay or is this a situation where a person getting a book graded can call up CGG and say "uh hey send the book to this address asap". Again, new to this, and trying to get some info is all. I wanted to see what a CGG slabbed book was like, bought the cheapest one. The only thing that baffles me is how it came in a mailer with CGGs return address label.

Seriously, if this is out of the scope of whats allowed on this forum, I TRULY apologize. New to the board and not trying to be hated already.