• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC 100 Pagers revisited

108 posts in this topic

i just never saw anyone do that with a board before! i didn't know if maybe you were afraid of scuffing or something
I did it because a local dealer was doing it. Just makes viewing my "better" non-squarebound books easier.

I use Bill Cole Life-X-Tender backing boards - Cat #724 7 3/8" x 10 3/8".

I put the backing board inside a Bill Cole 1 mil Arklite Mylar D Cat #161 7 5/8" x 10 1/2" with a 1 1/2" flap (no tape!).

Then I put this combination inside a Gerber 4 mil Mylar D 8 1/4" x 11" (Supply 626).

Then into acid free boxes on shelves in a closet in the center of my house, maintained at 72 degrees year round.

Greggy, I have not submitted any books to CGC because:

A) Obviously I don't have as much money as you do

B) I have no plans to sell any, so why get them graded?

Next, of course I would be concerned about how CGC would grade them, who wouldn't? Having said that, I am confident that a large percentage of my ungraded books would grade in the 9.4 to 9.8 range. I am actually quite disappointed with several of my graded books. That's what inspired my "CGC favoritism?" post a while back.

And finally, it's been very interesting bidding against you in the current All-Star auction. I'm sure you will win out on all of the books you are bidding on. You always do. hi.gif

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I use Bill Cole Silver/Golden Age Mylar Bags and Boards for my DC 100 Pagers.

On DC 48 to 52 pagers, I use Cole's Standard Mylar Bags and Boards, and still have plenty of room also.

I've never done a price difference between Gerber and Cole, so I don't have any info on that topic.

So there is my 2 cents on the subject.

grider67 sign-rantpost.gif

Bill Cole is more expensive than Gerber.

Also, I don't believe Gerber offers a backing board with an inner layer of activated charcoal. I have no idea if boards with a layer of activated charcoal are better.

I use them, cuz I bought in to the BCE hype about them.

Does anyone know anything about these? confused-smiley-013.gif

I won't. I have never won anything bidding against you because you will pay any price. That's not going to change any time soon. 893frustrated.gif

Well Ice, your consolation is that you have at least been responsible for making Greggy pay MORE for his books. I'm wondering, is he burning you more buy outbidding you, or are you burning him by making him pay more? devil.gif ----Sid

To get back on topic, here's the result of the onsite grading at Philly!

Action Comics 437 9.2 W

Batman 255 9.6 W

Batman 256 9.4 OW

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 14 9.0 OWW Slight P frown.gif

Flash 232 9.4 W

House of Mystery 224 9.6 OWW

House of Mystery 224 9.4 W

House of Mystery 229 9.0 OWW

Justice League of America 110 9.4 W

Justice League of America 110 9.6 W

Justice League of America 116 9.2 OWW

Shazam 8 9.2 W

Shazam 8 9.6 W

Superman Family 164 9.2 W

Superman Family 168 9.4 OWW

Tarzan 231 9.6 W

Tarzan 232 9.6 W

Tarzan 232 9.6 W

Tarzan 235 9.2 OWW

Unexpected 158 9.6 OW

Unexpected 159 9.4 OW

Unexpected 160 9.4 OWW

Unexpected 160 9.6 OW

World's Finest 225 9.6 W

World's Finest 225 9.6 OWW

World's Finest 226 9.6 W

World's Finest 226 9.4 W

World's Finest 228 9.4 OWW

World's Finest 228 9.4 COW

Young Love 109 9.4 OWW

Young Love 109 9.2 OWW

Young Romance 197 9.6 W

i just never saw anyone do that with a board before! i didn't know if maybe you were afraid of scuffing or something
I did it because a local dealer was doing it. Just makes viewing my "better" non-squarebound books easier.

I do the same thing. A LCS here in Dallas does this for most GA and SA books so the buyer can look at both covers (where 90% of the buying decisions are made) w/o taking the book out of the bag.

One of the side benefits of this is that it flattens out the book so your stacks do not slope. You can stack books 200 high if you want and they will remain level.

However, as was pointed out by one of Heritage guys, if you pack your books tightly into a box you run the chance of creating a book-length pressure crease a/b 1 mm from the spine (where the board ends inside the book). I haven't ever seen this happen but I don't really pack the hell out of my boxes either.

Greggy, it appears to me that you are trying to achieve the best and highest graded DC 100-page collection in the world. Good luck if that is the case. Just wondering IF that is your goal, what you are intending to do with it once (if ever) you are satisfied with what you have and stop accumulating more. I just find it interesting to see what motivates people and to learn about what goals they have and etc. Anything you are still looking for that is hard to aquire? -----Sid